Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by unwordedly View Post
    I'm genuinely curious: what's your reasoning for using a DL with Cloud? Wouldn't it just make more sense to use a SL in a heavier fabric since it would be lighter overall?
    Personally I like DLs. The reasons are, First off I like to have the option of using an inflatable insulated pad between the layers. I started hammocking using a pad and I like to retain that flexibility. Secondly, perhaps it is the former mountaineering/rock climbing, but I like redundancy...just in case. I would also add that I have a border collie who accompanies me on trips. I know what a bc's claws can do to almost any hammock fabric.

I will also add that I too have used the DL Chameleon Cloud without the inner Hex 1.0 for a number of nights camping out and found it very comfortable. I really like the translucent quality of the fabric that allows me to check things out.

Quote Originally Posted by atrane21 View Post
    Can you shoot me a message with your name and email address so i can look this up. We respond to every single email that comes through and we check our spam folder multiple times a day to make sure we're not missing any. if we missed your email i apologize and i would like to be sure that you are taken care of. Some times emails slip through but it is VERY rare.
    Hey, I appreciate that and I will PM you. I really rather have someone tell me my ideas stink or to "F" off than not to hear anything and wonder WTF? (a little French)

I had my cloud .71 fail after about seven sleeps in it… I was very careful and was just laying in it on my back when it popped on day two of a five day trip. That ended my trip which really sucked given how impossible it is to book anything in Ontario. I do wonder about the sewing on of the zipper perhaps compromising the material. I think unless you are nowhere close to the weight limit is it worth the weight savings for longer trips. Just too risky.

On the bright side, Dutchware promptly dealt with it and sent a replacement in hexon 1.2. Fantastic customer service.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Welcome to HF, although sorry to hear about the circumstances.

Mega bummer having a trip cut short like that, and usually a lot of stress figuring out how the heck you're going to get out of the woods when you're more than 1 day in....

I have a Hexon 1.0 Half Wit and it works okay for me (@170lb) but I'm still careful with it. I'd imagine the Hexon 1.2 is dandy for a longer trip or thru-hike. I have a MTN 1.2 DH Darien which would be (and has been) my choice for that kind of trip.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobin66 View Post
    I had my cloud .71 fail after about seven sleeps in it… I was very careful and was just laying in it on my back when it popped on day two of a five day trip. That ended my trip which really sucked given how impossible it is to book anything in Ontario. I do wonder about the sewing on of the zipper perhaps compromising the material. I think unless you are nowhere close to the weight limit is it worth the weight savings for longer trips. Just too risky.

On the bright side, Dutchware promptly dealt with it and sent a replacement in hexon 1.2. Fantastic customer service.
    Sorry to hear about the failure.

What’s your weight if you don’t mind us asking?

Glad to hear Dutchware took care of you as they should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grimm0614 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the failure.

What’s your weight if you don’t mind us asking?

Glad to hear Dutchware took care of you as they should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was at 200lbs. When I ordered it the weight rating was higher so I figured I had some buffer, but by the time it arrived they had lowered it to 200.

in any case, my fear is imagine getting up and pushing down with a point Load? Even if you are lighter over all that might still pop it. Maybe it lasts a bit longer but ultimately I don’t see these things lasting. My old Hennessy was rated at 200lbs… hundreds of nights in it, didn’t baby it, still in great shape. I am hoping the hexon 1.2 is a reasonable weight savings over the Hennessy while being something I can rely on.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Welcome to HF, although sorry to hear about the circumstances.

Mega bummer having a trip cut short like that, and usually a lot of stress figuring out how the heck you're going to get out of the woods when you're more than 1 day in....

I have a Hexon 1.0 Half Wit and it works okay for me (@170lb) but I'm still careful with it. I'd imagine the Hexon 1.2 is dandy for a longer trip or thru-hike. I have a MTN 1.2 DH Darien which would be (and has been) my choice for that kind of trip.

It was a very miserable hike out. Two days of hiking in one day on zero sleep. I tried to use the hammock as a mosquito net but there were more mosquitoes in the hammock then out… I had to put in ear plugs to drown out the buzz of the mosquitoes feasting on me all night. Didn’t sleep a wink. When I got up, there was a fresh pile of bear scat on the trail 20 feet from where I was laying. I was so tired I just shrugged and started slogging out.

I was so excited by cutting a full lb off my hammock setup but I would happily have carried 5 extra lbs to not be on the ground. I did love my new DCF tarp, underquilt, and the overall design of the chameleon.

The new chameleon is on its way and I have already booked an overnight backpacking trip to test it out. ��
    It was a very miserable hike out. Two days of hiking in one day on zero sleep. I tried to use the hammock as a mosquito net but there were more mosquitoes in the hammock then out… I had to put in ear plugs to drown out the buzz of the mosquitoes feasting on me all night. Didn’t sleep a wink. When I got up, there was a fresh pile of bear scat on the trail 20 feet from where I was laying.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Wow, that was just yukky. Seems you weren't hurt so that's one good thing.

Quite often I hang over rocks and roots that could potentially cause a nasty injury if I were abruptly plopped down on them. I'm a devotee of the UL arts but I'll gladly shave grams elsewhere.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516