Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema

.71 Cloud Fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by DutchConch View Post
    So my half zipped in Cloud 71 came in a few days ago. First day I put it up in the backyard was great. Streched more than I thought it would but it was very comforable with no calf ridge. Put it up a few days later to adjust an underquilt to it and the bottom split right under my butt. Having read previous posts I made sure I was very careful, no sharp objects, just wearing a t-shirt and gym shorts so no obvious reason for a failure, but really who knows what I might have done that I didn't notice. Contacted Dutchware and true to their nature they were apolagetic and are replacing it. What fantastic customer service! I opted for the Hexon 1.2 instead of the Cloud 71. I know they have tested the Cloud fabric and have had great success so I hope that my case is just an anomaly. I now plan on keeping my eye on this fabric and will probably take the plunge again in the future, it's just to cool of a fabric not to.

Without sounding trite, Dutch’s “Fabric Weight Test” video doesn’t really show what happens to this fabric when the entire weight of something is focused on a particular area; those rolls of fabric were supported by a far wider/larger surface area of the Cloud71 hammock, unlike lowering your butt into the center area.

I’m glad I sold mine and went up to the 1.2 Hexon for that extra peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    i planned on using mine as a lounger hammock while car camping, never had any intention of backpacking with it.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Well, thank you for the report on the SL failure and Dutch's willingness to make it right. I definitely am glad I went with a DL. Notwithstanding I think I will follow the suggestion on using it close to home and as a home and truck camping item until I have more confidence. Albeit, given my weight, the DL, and the admonitions about sharp items I feel better prepared than most. I still like the comfort of the lay and the other bennies of the Cloud 71. Notwithstanding, my go to backpacking hammock, a modified Hammocktent Gamma UL, weighs close to the same if not lighter than my DL Cloud 71 and has performed very well over the years.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    We are having fun in Slovakia

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by infrastellar View Post

Is that a ridge runner in Cloud 71? Looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    SLBBXLC
    Tarp
    ThunderFly 20D
    Insulation
    Wooki/DiamondBack
    Suspension
    Loops/FishHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by infrastellar View Post

Nice Marek Beautiful landscape as well

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    I am curious if anyone that's had a failure is really small. I wanted to get one for my wife, who is 105lb, and figured it would be safe. That 11oz half zip looks like a nice weight reduction from her current Chameleon.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    I've been keeping an eye on this topic, was really interested in the fabric when it first came out. I think I'm still going to hold off for now until more people braver than myself test it out on some longer trips.

If I'm being honest I'd get better performance on long trips cutting weight from around my midsection first!
    I've been wanting to get a lighter weight hammock for a long time. But up until I lost 35 lbs., I was way over the weight limit of alternatives to Hexon 1.6, etc., so hammocks made with Mtn 1.2 & similar weight fabrics, just wasn't in the cards.

For me, Dutch's netless Cloud hammock was a fairly inexpensive 'test case' example of a lighter weight hammock I wanted to try out & see if it worked for me. Admitfully, I still need more time in it, but did have it out on a 2 day/night trip back in March & I was pleasantly surprised at its performance overall. I wasn't comfortable during my first night, but I was kinda in a rush to get set up in camp since I was losing light. I was more comfy the second night cause I got my hang better and was able to get a good lay with no calf ridge. I like being able to see through the material too... kinda cool during a moonlit night.

Two minor down sides for me... it's so lightweight at ~6.5 - 7 oz. with CL's & suspension, once my underquilt was under tension, the hammock kinda flew up in the air. The other thing is, the fabric seems to produce a fair amount of static, so it attracts any stray down, dirt, insect wings, dandruff, etc., but not enough for it to be a big deal.

Like I say, I need more time in it but so far, me likey.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Billcole View Post
    I am curious if anyone that's had a failure is really small. I wanted to get one for my wife, who is 105lb, and figured it would be safe. That 11oz half zip looks like a nice weight reduction from her current Chameleon.
    I'm 190 lbs and 6' 2", so almost doulble your wife's weight.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing – George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by DutchConch View Post
    So my half zipped in Cloud 71 came in a few days ago. First day I put it up in the backyard was great. Streched more than I thought it would but it was very comforable with no calf ridge. Put it up a few days later to adjust an underquilt to it and the bottom split right under my butt. Having read previous posts I made sure I was very careful, no sharp objects, just wearing a t-shirt and gym shorts so no obvious reason for a failure, but really who knows what I might have done that I didn't notice. Contacted Dutchware and true to their nature they were apolagetic and are replacing it. What fantastic customer service! I opted for the Hexon 1.2 instead of the Cloud 71. I know they have tested the Cloud fabric and have had great success so I hope that my case is just an anomaly. I now plan on keeping my eye on this fabric and will probably take the plunge again in the future, it's just to cool of a fabric not to.

Haven't really posted here before but just wanted to chime in-I had this exact failure this past weekend on night 2. No sharp clothing, fingernails, etc, weight 195... BUT i was trying to shimmy into an extra pants layer in the middle of the night and should have probably climbed out of the hammock to do it. Maybe i can make a couple of chairs out of the fabric now who knows... FWIW it is an amazing material it felt same as a plastic grocery bag in terms of weight and felt pretty sturdy the 1st night. Probably could have been more careful/gentle then it may have been just fine... glad i happened to be hanging close to the ground this time tho lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast