Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchConch View Post
    On field repairs, that's kinda what I was figuring. I like the hammock chair idea. I have one of Dutch's chairs in Cloud fabric, and was debating on whether or not to bring it along. Thanks for the thoughts.
    That Cloud chair is crazy light. You'd probably never even know you had it in your pack.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Well I guess I'll have to put it thru the ringer before committing to using it on my extended trip. I am generally pretty careful with my gear but accidents do happen. In retrospect a double layer probably would have given me a bit more confidence. If I change my mind I can still use my son's single layer Eldorado for a little bit of weight savings over my double layer BBLXC.

Thanks
    In that case, perhaps consider something like MTN 1.2 .... I don't see the point in getting a hammock made with an ethereally light material and then doubling up.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    In that case, perhaps consider something like MTN 1.2 .... I don't see the point in getting a hammock made with an ethereally light material and then doubling up.
    Perhaps because you really like the translucent qualities of the fabric or how light it is for a DL hammock. Now there is two points for consideration. Then there are folks who prefer having the option of using an inflatable pad between the DL. Or one might consider the safety redundancy that two layers provide in case of misfortune. Lastly, one might consider HYOY and be happy. Golly, a whole bunch of point now that I think about it.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 04-11-2021 at 22:11.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Perhaps because you really like the translucent qualities of the fabric or how light it is for a DL hammock. Now there is two points for consideration. Then there are folks who prefer having the option of using an inflatable pad between the DL. Or one might consider the safety redundancy that two layers provide in case of misfortune. Lastly, one might consider HYOY and be happy. Golly, a whole bunch of point now that I think about it.
    Sorry, my mistake. I thought DutchConch was seeking opinions.

Having personally witnessed a Monolite failing catastrophically has clouded my judgement.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Has anyone seen tear strength numbers in comparison to other materials like Hexon 1.0 or MTN1. 2?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've been keeping an eye on this topic, was really interested in the fabric when it first came out. I think I'm still going to hold off for now until more people braver than myself test it out on some longer trips.

If I'm being honest I'd get better performance on long trips cutting weight from around my midsection first!

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema

.71 Cloud Fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    If I'm being honest I'd get better performance on long trips cutting weight from around my midsection first!
    I think this is the most overlooked datapoint when people want to do “UL”.

I could lose at least 10-20lbs and have learned that UL gear will not really make much of a difference if my personal mobility (and ability to recover from a long trip) is hindered by being 10+ BMI points over what’s recommended for my age/height.

I personally didn’t enjoy the C71 fabric as it had a stiffer feel than Hexon/HyperD/DreamTex, and I was surprised how much better my 1.2 Hexon packed down than the C71 version.
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    I practice UL and I'm keeping an eye on this fabric still. Seems to fit pretty much into the "lighter weight monolite" category. Stiffer than other fabrics around it's weight (1 oz.), has durability concerns, see through.

I have a monolite hammock and I enjoy the stiffness and certainly the weight benefit. The durability is always a concern with UL gear, but I have not noticed anything yet and am always careful.

If more users seem satisfied with Cloud 71, then I'll probably snag a netless and see how it hangs this summer.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    So my half zipped in Cloud 71 came in a few days ago. First day I put it up in the backyard was great. Streched more than I thought it would but it was very comforable with no calf ridge. Put it up a few days later to adjust an underquilt to it and the bottom split right under my butt. Having read previous posts I made sure I was very careful, no sharp objects, just wearing a t-shirt and gym shorts so no obvious reason for a failure, but really who knows what I might have done that I didn't notice. Contacted Dutchware and true to their nature they were apolagetic and are replacing it. What fantastic customer service! I opted for the Hexon 1.2 instead of the Cloud 71. I know they have tested the Cloud fabric and have had great success so I hope that my case is just an anomaly. I now plan on keeping my eye on this fabric and will probably take the plunge again in the future, it's just to cool of a fabric not to.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing – George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    DH FreeBird 1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phnx
    Suspension
    WB Dynaweave
    ...Put it up a few days later to adjust an underquilt to it and the bottom split right under my butt. Having read previous posts I made sure I was very careful, no sharp objects, just wearing a t-shirt and gym shorts so no obvious reason for a failure, but really who knows what I might have done that I didn't notice.

Well, that's enough for me. This, along with the other reported failures, is enough data for me to retire my cloud .71 netless. I simply cannot have this happen miles from civilization after hiking all day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast