Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    I guess I just got lucky on my two winter trips this year with the Cloud71. Going to ground is one thing; going to snow is another.
    Hey Gordo, I had my fingers crossed for you guys! I guess it worked LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by packman9000 View Post
    I think it's a cool exercise in both marketing buzz and potential projects later down the road, but I agree fabric that light is asking for problems when you're putting a load in it. Especially when the load in question is your backbone.

It is impressive how light it is and the theoretical weight limit, though. If durability can be improved it certainly has more potential.
    Indeed! As a kool-aid drinkin' ULer I really-really-really want these fabrics to succeed. But it appears they're not quite 'there' yet.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    My thought is, you gotta start somewhere & there's always somebody who's first to market. Any product that is worth a crap, is going to go through any number of improvements over time, as real world use cases are put into effect. If improvements aren't made and/or the product gets too much negative press from being a shoddy product, it won't be around for long. There are always going to be early adopters who are going to test the limits of a new product, as it should be, which only helps with improvements & further development. I'm guessing there had to be a fair amount of product development pre-release. Bottom line is & at this point in its lifecycle, you know what you're getting, accept the fact that it's Rev. 1.0 and treat it like any ultralight piece of gear. I did two nights in my netless Cloud back in March with no issues and will continue to fiddle with it through the summer & into Fall... assuming it lasts that long!

My .02.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    My thought is, you gotta start somewhere & there's always somebody who's first to market. Any product that is worth a crap, is going to go through any number of improvements over time, as real world use cases are put into effect. If improvements aren't made and/or the product gets too much negative press from being a shoddy product, it won't be around for long. There are always going to be early adopters who are going to test the limits of a new product, as it should be, which only helps with improvements & further development. I'm guessing there had to be a fair amount of product development pre-release. Bottom line is & at this point in its lifecycle, you know what you're getting, accept the fact that it's Rev. 1.0 and treat it like any ultralight piece of gear. I did two nights in my netless Cloud back in March with no issues and will continue to fiddle with it through the summer & into Fall... assuming it lasts that long!

My .02.
    Good points. Over the years I've used a few things that "weren't quite ready for prime time" and learned a lot. I recall that early versions of Zpacks Zero and Arc Blast were shredded pretty quickly with regular use.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema

.71 Cloud Fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    I guess I just got lucky on my two winter trips this year with the Cloud71. Going to ground is one thing; going to snow is another.
    Don’t you also weigh like 140lbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post

This is a good point, perhaps these UL fabrics safe working weight limits need to be revised. I have a Monolite that I’ve used since last summer and have never noticed any type of wear that’s concerned me. I’ll continue to use it for summer overnights without much concern. I weigh ~160 lbs. Maybe 200 lbs. is just too close for comfort on these.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    170 lbs here and "Who me worry? ;-)" . Besides I was prudent enough to go DL. However, I will be careful about not wearing calked boots while hanging.

Since I'm basically a good guy willing to hep a person out, I am willing to relieve some of those with buyers remorse of their DL Cloud71 hammocks for a reduced price before it becomes a ripped apart worthless rag wafting in the summer breeze.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post

I wish! I haven't weighed 140 for years. (I'm at 150 now.)
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Hey Gordo, I had my fingers crossed for you guys! I guess it worked LOL!!
    Thanks, Bob! I'll do just about anything to lower my winter base weight - except sleep on the snow.

Worked at least twice, but, then, so did the Space Shuttle.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DD superlight
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    It seems that the weight rating for cloud .71 had gone from 225 pounds to 200 pounds. Would be interested to know why as there was already the video that it should not break with over 1000 pounds.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    If anyone wants to sell there cloud71 hammock, preferably a half zip, let me know. I also posted in the want to buy section.

Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast