Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema

.71 Cloud Fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Peltolau View Post
    It seems that the weight rating for cloud .71 had gone from 225 pounds to 200 pounds. Would be interested to know why as there was already the video that it should not break with over 1000 pounds.
    That 1,000lb break strength video is a great marketing video. Slowly placing equally weight balanced and perfectly flat rolls of fabric doesn’t properly simulate the getting in/moving around/getting out of a hammock by a regular person.

That 1,000lbs was evenly distributed across almost 75% of the hammock fabric placing zero direct pressure at the center; the area in which our butts spend most of the time.

I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who bought into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jolly; 05-18-2021 at 07:03.
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Billcole View Post
    If anyone wants to sell there cloud71 hammock, preferably a half zip, let me know. I also posted in the want to buy section.

Thanks
    Gunga Din!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
    That 1,000lb break strength video is a great marketing video. Slowly placing equally weight balanced and perfectly flat rolls of fabric doesn’t properly simulate the getting in/moving around/getting out of a hammock by a regular person.

That 1,000lbs was evenly distributed across almost 75% of the hammock fabric placing zero direct pressure at the center; the area in which our butts spend most of the time.

I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who bought into it.
    Kind of like the shelving unit I bought at home depot. "1500lbs per shelf". NOPE! Maybe in a laboratory with plate weights and a gentle fork lift.

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    Took my Cloud 71 netless out last weekend, on a short overnight with a short hike in just in case. It's a shame I feel like I'll never be able to trust it, because it's extremely comfortable and mine even came in under spec. Not sure if the Dutchware netless configurator takes into account the stuff sack or not, but my netless is only 4.84oz. Jaw dropping. The transparent body is a bona fide feature, it's so nice to be able to see everything while laying deep in the hammock. I can't say I felt like it was in danger or failing at any point, but then again I wouldn't expect to get any warning before a rip. I think I'll reserve it for trips like I did this weekend. Short hikes, single nights.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    For those who are concerned about the integrity of their clouds I have a suggestion. I have a DL Cloud. I came across a blemished Hexon 1.0 printed Chameleon at a reduced price and thought I would experiment with hanging the Hex 1 inside the DL Cloud. I simply stuffed the CLs out the end and mated the Cloud and Hex 1 CLs together. Of course the CLs and ridge lines are now doubled. But I also have two hammocks that can be separated for use. I wanted the Hex 1 inside because it is slick, comfortable, and not as prone to snagging which has been the death of some Clouds. I have slept in this configuration for quite a few nights and used it as my lounging couch for watch the computer monitor movies. I am quite pleased with this experiment as it is comfortable.

Therefore, a couple of possibilities for Cloud owners. Send the Cloud back for an inner layer of Hex 1 or other preferred fabric or try my double single approach. Of course my experiment was a retro experiment and the first approach might have been less expensive. I still really like the translucent qualities of the Cloud fabric and very likely would just take the DL for backpacking and the DL/SL for home and truck camping use.

Warning: I will pass along a cautionary note regarding Dutchware customer service based on my experiences. I have purchased several hammocks, fabric, and accessories over the years. I have contacted them twice, once by email and once by their site form contact. I never received a response to either. Personally, I'm not impressed with what I consider rudeness and It leaves my Dutchware experiences somewhat jaded compared to my experiences with other vendors. I do hope you have had better experiences.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    1.5 Spider/Becket
    I'm genuinely curious: what's your reasoning for using a DL with Cloud? Wouldn't it just make more sense to use a SL in a heavier fabric since it would be lighter overall?

I'm happy with my Cloud hammock from TrailHeadz. I'll just be a little more careful than I already am.

Incidentally, I see that Dutchware isn't offering Cloud for Chameleons currently. I wonder if that's a testament to it's dependability, or just a coincidence?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by unwordedly View Post
    Incidentally, I see that Dutchware isn't offering Cloud for Chameleons currently. I wonder if that's a testament to it's dependability, or just a coincidence?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    He’s not offering it on anything other than the netless which would lead me to believe that sewing full length zippers along its edges may exacerbate the issue of the C71 fabric being — how do I say it — less sturdy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    For those who are concerned about the integrity of their clouds I have a suggestion. I have a DL Cloud. I came across a blemished Hexon 1.0 printed Chameleon at a reduced price and thought I would experiment with hanging the Hex 1 inside the DL Cloud. I simply stuffed the CLs out the end and mated the Cloud and Hex 1 CLs together. Of course the CLs and ridge lines are now doubled. But I also have two hammocks that can be separated for use. I wanted the Hex 1 inside because it is slick, comfortable, and not as prone to snagging which has been the death of some Clouds. I have slept in this configuration for quite a few nights and used it as my lounging couch for watch the computer monitor movies. I am quite pleased with this experiment as it is comfortable.

Therefore, a couple of possibilities for Cloud owners. Send the Cloud back for an inner layer of Hex 1 or other preferred fabric or try my double single approach. Of course my experiment was a retro experiment and the first approach might have been less expensive. I still really like the translucent qualities of the Cloud fabric and very likely would just take the DL for backpacking and the DL/SL for home and truck camping use.

Warning: I will pass along a cautionary note regarding Dutchware customer service based on my experiences. I have purchased several hammocks, fabric, and accessories over the years. I have contacted them twice, once by email and once by their site form contact. I never received a response to either. Personally, I'm not impressed with what I consider rudeness and It leaves my Dutchware experiences somewhat jaded compared to my experiences with other vendors. I do hope you have had better experiences.
    Can you shoot me a message with your name and email address so i can look this up. We respond to every single email that comes through and we check our spam folder multiple times a day to make sure we're not missing any. if we missed your email i apologize and i would like to be sure that you are taken care of. Some times emails slip through but it is VERY rare.
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    On my recent 5 day solo canoe trip I used a Superior Gear StarLite hammock that does not have the built in UQ. It is a double layer with Cloud 71 on inner layer and a light Argon on outer layer.
    It did great and I let myself trust it.
    Being double layer gave me to confidence. Kinda like the grippiness of the Cloud 71 for sitting up for my treasured "breakfast from the hammock."
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I have a chameleon in 1.0. I’d love a Cloud version.

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast