Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    The DL is still translucent enough to clearly see through. The main reason I got the Cloud was to replace a SL WBBB XLC that filled the GE backpacking niche. The key selling points for me were the light weight, smaller pack size, the translucent fabric, the weight holding capacity on YT (albeit at 6' 170 fabric strength isn't really an issue for me), and the decent price. I went for a pretty much bare bones model because I thought the additional extras were superfluous and not worth the additional cost. I sold the WBBB XLC because I realized I could no longer be content being restricted in my lay choices in an asymmetrical hammock. As a nightly sleeper I like to roam through all available positions, especially on a side.

Comparison between a Sparrow and Chameleon. My Sparrow is a DL Hex70 2.2. It's niche is for to serve as a nightly duty hammock, a daily lounging couch for watching computer videos, and as a truck camping hammock. That is to say, I wanted it to be tough and long lasting as feasible. It does the job well. I like how Hex70, or MTN 1.7, feels as I slide about into position. The Cloud fabric is not as slick for sliding around. It probably will keep a pad in place much better than either of the other fabrics. The Cloud appears to generate more static electricity than the other fabrics. I ended up lengthening the SRL for the WBBB, the Sparrow, and the Trail Lair to find MY sweet spot. My to my surprise I have found the Chameleon fits well with OEM SRL and I do not plan on replacing the OEM SRL a whoopie SRL. Thus far for me, I have found the Chameleon doesn't cause the outer leg to need knee hyperextension mitigation through changing the SRL or using something under the outside knee. I am looking forward to field testing this critter as spring/summer gets nearer.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just got my Cloud 7 hammock.
    Feel the need to actually lay up in one.
    It'll be a backyard rig for a while.
    The sheer fabric is freaky~~~
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I’m curious how durable a fabric this light would be over say a thru hike of the AT

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    I’m curious how durable a fabric this light would be over say a thru hike of the AT
    Have you seen this?

I was very close by when a Monolite hammock failed, quite spectacularly, which left me with an indelible reminder that sometimes things that look fragile are indeed fragile.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-22-2021 at 10:30.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    The answer is probably yes it could handle the AT depending on how well you are attentive to detail and attention to how you treat your gear. Would I go with a SL model? Nope, I like the redundancy of two layers for most my hammocks depending on their particular niche. Plus, I like having the insulated pad option available, just in case I want to go that route. For UL backpacking I would like a tougher SL or a light weight DL. That is why I went with a DL Cloud.

Also, sometimes stuff happens no matter how you take care of your equipment. For example, the spork you left in your back pocket, The wind blows the hammock into a limb staub, you think long finger nails are cute, or your invite your pooch into your hammock only to discover how sharp his paw nails are.

I also consider hammocks to be expendable with a limited life span depending on use and materials. That is to say I really don't expect any of my hammocks to last a lifetime. Besides, as technology and materials progress I am confident I will be on my way to exploring other hammock options sooner than later. That doesn't mean I will abuse my equipment, only that I expect to be shilling out some more bucks for another hammock, hammock DIY material, or hammock design sooner than later anyway. So I might as well enjoy the journey.

Lastly, I'm wondering just how many HF'ers are setting out on the AT versus simply heading out for a long weekend trip.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 03-22-2021 at 18:41.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I spent 2 nights in my Dutchware Cloud netless hammock over the past weekend & my initial impressions are mostly positive. I need more nights in it on trail & plan to share some thoughts in a trip report I'm putting together.

As for its durability & as it is with most ultralight equipment, you have to take extra care when in use to make sure it'll last for a while.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    I've hung in mine several times now and and have been pleased. It seems very durable but there is at least one fail reported in the DIY section of this forum from a fingernail snag.

Any feedback from someone who has spent time with Monolite? That material is springy, and doesn't pack very small. I'm curious how the cloud compares.

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by HMLCK View Post
    Any feedback from someone who has spent time with Monolite? That material is springy, and doesn't pack very small. I'm curious how the cloud compares.
    It doesn’t pack down as well as a 1.2oz Hexon (I have both).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
    It doesn’t pack down as well as a 1.2oz Hexon (I have both).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    how does the 1.2 hexon compare to 1.6 in terms of Feel stretch and durability? I can't see anything on the forums on this fabric..

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast