Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    anyone know how much a chameleon would weigh with the .71 with/without a bugnet?
    You can figure all that out on the Dutchware website by using the pull down fabric selections on the Chameleon page. My Chameleon bugnet weighs 6 oz.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

.71 Cloud Fabric?

here's the response I got from the good folks at dutchware gear

Hi Chris,

Thanks for contacting us. Of course the total weight depends on some of the options that you choose, but in general:

The Asym Bugnet is right around 120g and the Symmetrical bugnet is closer to 130g. The standard Chameleon body with Cloud 71 is roughly 236g.

I hope this helps,
    Dave

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Just got a simple netless from dutch in this new fancy fabric. Have it hung, here's a few initial impressions.
    It's stretcher then mtn 1.3, closer to hexon 1.0 if memory serves me. Considering it's weight, it's not as stretchy as one might image. It feels... well, not great. It's a little rough/abrasive and semi ridged by comparison. Certinally not soft. Shouldn't be a big deal unless you rub your face all night while sleeping. It might help some pads from sliding around but against ripstop, it's super super slippery.
    It's full of static. Enough so it opens itself up when empty. It's given me the occasional shock as I pass by it. It does not have the delicate feel of most light, even 1.0 fabrics. If I didn't know, I'd guess it's closer to a 1.2/1.3 based on feel. I suppose it probably is a 1.2 fabric if you added some filler nylon to make a solid fabric. It's packs about like 1.3 as well.
    It feels slightly (emphasis on slightly) cooler vs a normal hammock when hung in my 62 degree basement. This might be a bigger deal in cold weather or windy conditions, we will see. It does not seem very snaggy, but does cling to small twigs, scraps of paper and other debris that it touches. Is that an oxymoron? Maybe, but I haven't seen a proper snag/rip/run in the fabric in my hour or so of playing.
    As dutch has mentioned, the colors are a bit off. Mine is burn orange but looks closer to a brown/rust red.
    Seems like this would be fairly easy to work with if making your own gear, definitely easier then ns50 in any case. I'm very eager to see what can be made with a fabric this strong but breathable.
    As far as weight, with peak shelf, loops and ridgeline, mine comes in at 6.5oz.
    At the moment, I'm still leary of the strength. Iv had stronger fabrics rip from under me due to manufacturing defects, and 1.0 withstand multiple holes/small rips. Will see if a few nights make me trust it. The plan is for it to replace my go to 1.3 and 1.6wt hammocks.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the review chapinb. I've been eyeballing these but waiting to see more people try them out before I purchased.

Hammock
    DH FreeBird 1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phnx
    Suspension
    WB Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    It's stretcher then mtn 1.3...It's full of static....It's given me the occasional shock as I pass by it.
    This has been my experience as well.

Coming from the newer 1.2 MTN I'm still learning to trust the fabric, but I find I'm a little less freaked out by it every time I get in and out of it.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    As dutch has mentioned, the colors are a bit off. Mine is burn orange but looks closer to a brown/rust red.
    I ordered the moroccan blue and it's almost black, but when the sun hits it a certain way it has a blue shine to it. this hammock will not replace my 1.6 hyperD but it's a neat hammock to have.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    ..... The plan is for it to replace my go to 1.3 and 1.6wt hammocks.
    To clarify, it's not replacing my others because its more comfortable. Although I do like a stretchy hammock. It's replacing because of the weight and bulk savings. My summer pack is smaller then I'd prefer and my knees appreciate every few ounces I can spare.

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    My Cloud71 Chameleon came today and I must say I’m impressed with the craftsmanship as always first of all. Not a stitch out of place.

My other gathered end is a 1.6 HyperD Sparrow from Dream Hammock, so sitting in the Cloud71 for the first time I was taken aback with the stretch. Quite close to the 1.0 Hexon Dutch net less hammocks I’ve had in the car for a couple of years, maybe slightly less than that.

The material doesn’t feel scratchy at all, but it’s definitely not as slick as Hexon, which might be a good thing when considering how my torso often slides towards the foot end through the night (I do hang the foot end higher but I seem to slip down regardless). There might be enough friction to prevent that.

Being able to see through the material is wild, and the burnt orange color is for sure more orange than red (despite other comments to the contrary). Remember this is burnt orange not blaze. Burnt orange has always been darker.

Static charge is a real thing. I have it set up at home on a stand and walking past it with bare legs it crackled static as my skin glided across the fabric. Not sure if this will be a major factor, but longer field testing will provide more data.

Overall I’m pleased with the hammock, and I look forward to taking this overnight tomorrow in a forecasted low of 7°F here in NY.

Nice job Dutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    The color might be very influenced by light. Looking thu yours, you see abundant sunlight. And it does look very orange. Where mine is hung in a relitivly dim basment with almost no sun, certinally no light shining through it into my eyes. And looks significantly darker

Edit. Holding it up to the light, mine looks just like yours, bright, light orange. On the ground, it's an orange-brick red almost. My camera dosent display the color properly or I would take a photo.
    Last edited by chapinb; 02-12-2021 at 19:16.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Thanks chapinb and Jolly for the impressions/review. I've got about a dozen nights split equally between indoors and outside in my burnt orange netless and largely agree with the above. I have several hammocks in the 1.2-3ish to 1.7 oz fabric range and a couple of cheap 3 panels as context but have never tried monolite or 1.1.

The first impression is how amazingly light it is and how sheer the fabric is. The hammock, a DW bottom-entry bugnet, 15 foot straps and whoopies all fit loosely in the stuffsack and weigh in at less than a pound. The fabric appearance is closer to bug netting than hexon 1.6 and I ended up tweaking my Incubator suspension a bit due to being able to see through the hammock with ease. I have also spent a couple morning hours watching a group of birds hanging out in the brush working a birdfeeder, largely through the hammock. The fabric is not soft or slick and feels much more nylon than cotton. It is stupid thin but not fragile and feels like it will be durable. It is winter so I'm not bare skinned and cant comment on how it will feel on a muggy summer night but it is noticeably breathable. It is not bad, just different.

Although I have not noticed the static, it is stretchy compared to my 1.2ish and way more so than a 1.6. I weigh about 195ish right now and had to raise my suspension a couple of inches. I have played around with the ridgeline length a bit and find that the comfort level is less sensitive to changes in ridgeline length but the sweet spot is about 2-3 inches longer at 110-111 inches vs 108 inches on firmer hammocks. This is subject to further refinement. The stretch isn't bottomless like an amazon cheapo however and when it hits a point it feels really solid and I don't worry about failure. Thing is super comfy and a joy to sleep in and I don't worry about putting a hand or elbow through it if the dismount goes poorly.

Bottom line is that this will be the hammock in my backpack going forward unless I succumb to the temptation of a half-zipped in moroccan blue in the same fabric. Day-to-day it will take it's turn in the quiver at home but won't be supplanting any of my existing rotation just adding a nice alternative when I'm in the mood for a stretchy lay. The fabric is specifically designed to be the lightest possible yet still suitable for building an ultralight backpacking hammock that is up to the job and I judge it a preliminary success awaiting data on durability although I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a first hammock.

edit: Just wanted to add that if Dutch was able to come up with a stupid thin and sheer fabric structurally strong enough to hold up as hammock fabric at .71 oz/yd, how long is it until we have a durable, super-breatheable, virtually invisible bug netting at around .25 oz/yd?
    Last edited by gooless; 02-12-2021 at 19:54.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast