Hammock
    Dutchware netless hammock
    Tarp
    UL rectangle tarp
    Insulation
    Cumulus+Warmpeace
    Suspension
    SpiderWeb+dogbones
    Thanks everybody! You're so helpful. I will go thru your remarks and see what I can do..

As for the slipping during the night - it probably slips right away but I just don't really notice until the morning. I am silent in the night and I like to make the complaints in the morning. At the breakfast.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    Seems odd to me that it is slipping during the night. I’ve never seen that. It slips when I first get on the hammock and that’s it.

Are you sure you are tying it properly?
    My experience is that the textbook Becket can slip with the very light UHMWPE webbing, which is why there are some variations such as the one in the embedded video from Warbonnet that has an extra wrap... you could get technical and argue (correctly) that it's no longer really a Becket but at least it closely resembles one.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    I prefer the MSH with spider 1.5 with or without whoopies. If you want to stick with the Beckett try a modified version where you make and extra wrap around the CL and it will hold much more securily without slipping. The extra loops on the CLs are nice to help undo the knot as is using evo-loops with a button knot at the end instead. You can also just tie a simple double overhand knot about an inch from the end of the CL and it will act just like a button knot with an attached loop as well. Dyneema doesn't hold normal knots well but I've been sleeping in a tied loop like this for months and it holds fine.

I'm a HUGE fan of Dutchware's hardware, especially with his Spiderwebs. If your Hammock's continuous loops are amsteel, his Whoopie Hooks save a lot of effort for less than 7g (both for deployment & disassembly).

As far as your tension issues, I also think Whoopie slings solve a lot of problems & allow me to really dial in my hang. I like to setup at the end of my hike, lie around & read for a bit, & then readjust before bed.

In the past, trying to use knots & save those last couple grams, I always ended up either being annoyed by setup time (especially if it's storming!), or waking up in the night wishing my hang was more dialed in. Props to those than can just use knots & nail it every time, but I'm just not that guy.

welcome to the forum.

sounds like you have a nice setup, i wouldn't rush to buy more stuff (especially not from over the water). especially as dyneema webbing is known to not work very well with hardware.

i personally like to use UCR's (instead of long tree straps), and i use a becket hitch to connect the dyneema webbing to the ucr, so i am quite familiar with having a 2.5cm wide dyneema webbing attached with a becket hitch to a small spliced fixed loop in 2.5mm or 3mm dyneema, and it works perfectly without slippage; so if you like your treestraps with a becket hitch, other than the reasons you mentioned, than maybe give it another chance, and try to fix the annoyances before "giving up on knots".

i would suggest trying the following: first replace the continuous loops with some softshackles (you can make some yourself out of dyneema quite easily), if made properly for this purpose, it will make it much easier to release the becket, as it gives you something to pull on (either a button knot or loop).

second, take a picture of the setup before getting in the hammock, and then immediately after getting in (or in the morning). do you have a structural ridgeline for the hammock? if you don't, it is possible you might be hanging the hammock at a bit too tight an angle, and the knot slips a bit until the angle decreases and the tension decreases, without a structural ridgeline, this will make the hammock feel a bit more saggy as you said (if you had a ridgeline, it will feel as saggy as you configured it to be, from the start, no matter how tight is the suspension). photos of the setup and the knot itself would help clarify a few things.

ps: if you'd like to try a replacement for the continuous loops and don't want to make the soft shackles yourself, you can let me know, it would be easy to ship them (or rather "throw them" your way, not too far it seems)

Hammock
    Dutchware netless hammock
    Tarp
    UL rectangle tarp
    Insulation
    Cumulus+Warmpeace
    Suspension
    SpiderWeb+dogbones
    Hello Nanok, definitely not far, we already talked (here and on facebook), we live in the same country : ))
    I go through all the messages here and play with my setup using all the knowledge gained. I'll be happy to write my conclusion when I get one (camping is now on the second track as a relax-hobby, I have a lot of different work that keeps me occupied) and maybe I'd use your offer!

PS: I have a structural ridgeline on my hammock

Thank you everybody for your time and help, really appreciated!

Just a thought, maybe it's not the knot. Could it be your hammock? I know with my inexpensive hammocks from Amazon the material stretches quite a bit. Sometimes when nature calls during the wee hours, I'll take the time to tighten the suspension as the hammock has stretched and I'm lower to the ground then I was when I went to bed. Since I use a ridgeline my lay is the same, I'm just lower to the ground.

- Clyde

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    J bend, x bend, double beckett, there's plenty of other knots you can use that hold better, but all have drawbacks. Either harder to tie or harder to release.
    I'd suggest trying a beckett with a backup.
    Thicker webbing, 1.9 and up holds the beckett better.
    https://youtu.be/XA8xdm8LIs8

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    Seems odd to me that it is slipping during the night. I’ve never seen that. It slips when I first get on the hammock and that’s it.

Are you sure you are tying it properly?
    I've had this happen to me. Particularly with UCRs. I'd lay there with my ear on the edge of the hammock and you could hear the pink, twang, pop as each fiber slipped. By 2:00 AM I be so low I'd have to get up and re-set the suspension. That set up did last very long. Took the UCRs apart and now I have a nice Dogbone set.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Another vote for a marlin spike hitch.

It's a straight replacement for the becket. It's easy to tie, easy to untie, doesn't slip, and is secure. You can use a stick for your toggle, but I use Dutch's purpose designed marlin spike toggles. I have one tethered to the end of each strap so I never lose it and it's always at hand.

It's a perfect match with the lightweight UHMWPE tree straps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast