Hammock
    Dutchware netless hammock
    Tarp
    UL rectangle tarp
    Insulation
    Cumulus+Warmpeace
    Suspension
    SpiderWeb+dogbones

Is there some hardware for UHMWPE tree huggers?

Dear hangers,

I am a rookie, that's no news, and I'm struggling. I was determined to use knots for my hammock setup. I have UHMWPE spiderweb huggers from the Dutch and a continuous loop on each side of my hammock. I am using the Becket hitch but unfortunately the knot is not strong and I always wake up with my hammock saggy a little bit. Just a little, but it annoys me. Another problem is that it's difficult to loose the knot. Maybe I'm just not the kind of person for knots. Is there any simple and ultralight (if possible) solution for people like me (hopeless people)?
    I am located in central Europe, the offer here is not as good as in the US, but I'm willing to make an over-ocean order, if necessary.
    Thanks!

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    I recommend whoopie slings or UCRs with a marlin spike hitch, ultralight, simple, and the MSH is very easy to tie and untie.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can offer my video series on Suspensions for Hammock.....https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...RN4_MaZ8UAyzWm
    Maybe they will give some insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    I like the Marlin Spike Hitch to solve that problem. There is also a double becket that helps but the MSH is just easier to untie for me.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    If you're using the Spider 1.5 straps, you'll probably get some slippage with the becket hitch. I would recommend using a slightly heavier UHMWPE webbing, like the 2.4 g/ft stuff. That's what I use, and have never experienced any slippage whatsoever.

You can make the becket hitch release MUCH more easily by simply larksheading a small loop of cordage to the ends of your continuous loops. This will give you a pull handle to help take the tension off the hitch when untying. Just pull upwards on the loop while you release the hitch- super easy. Or, if you'd rather have a more refined option, you can purchase some replacement continuous loops from Myerstech on ebay, which already have the grab handle integrated into the loop itself. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hammock-sus...oAAOSwnopdLRFa

I've tried using MSH, but find it too cumbersome to get the right height of the attachment point.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    This will probably get deleted for not being strictly on topic, but...

Since you want a hardware solution w/that webbing, you should look into Dutch's or HG's daisy chain UHMWPE webbing w/ Dutch's Mantis spliced onto your CL's. Although a bit heavier than my prior Marlin Spike Hitch setup, I get the right height easier & quicker than the MSH, it's so dang easy for me. I use the HG stuff: slightly heavier but was cheaper on sale than the Dutch stuff when I was placing an order from HG, and I picked up the Mantis in the For Sale forum

The Mantis is totally secure in my experience.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IvcaKoudy View Post
    Dear hangers,

I am a rookie, that's no news, and I'm struggling. I was determined to use knots for my hammock setup. I have UHMWPE spiderweb huggers from the Dutch and a continuous loop on each side of my hammock. I am using the Becket hitch but unfortunately the knot is not strong and I always wake up with my hammock saggy a little bit. Just a little, but it annoys me. Another problem is that it's difficult to loose the knot. Maybe I'm just not the kind of person for knots. Is there any simple and ultralight (if possible) solution for people like me (hopeless people)?
    I am located in central Europe, the offer here is not as good as in the US, but I'm willing to make an over-ocean order, if necessary.
    Thanks!
    Another who will recommend staying with the becket hitch. Add a little pull loop to the CL to help un do it helps alot. As for slippage you can modify from the becket to the j-bend hitch. See Shug video for how to tie. No need to order anything. Sounds like your almost there.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    J-Bend is my favorite way to use a MSH.

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    Autumn Ultralight sells "becket loops" which essentially splice another small loop on the end of a continuous loop.

You still use the larger loop to tie a becket hitch with a strap, but when you want to release a slipped becket hitch, you pull on the small loop while you also pull the slipped end of the strap, which allows the knot to release much more easily.

I use them with Dyneema straps (Warbonnet DynaWeave) and they work remarkably well.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Seems odd to me that it is slipping during the night. I’ve never seen that. It slips when I first get on the hammock and that’s it.

Are you sure you are tying it properly?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast