First Under quilt

Hello, I am a longtime backpacker, but new hammocker. I just bought a Chameleon and am looking to get an under quilt, (will eventually get a TQ too but have a great WM down bag I can use for now). The vast majority of my trip are taken in Spring and Fall in NC, TN, etc, so I am thinking a 20 degree UQ would be a good choice and have been looking at the premium Phoenix and Incubator from HG. I do typically carry either a Z-seat or a 1/8” GG foam pad with me that I assume I could use under my feet. The price is not a big difference, but I would love to save a little weight and bulk if the 3/4 UQ is a good option for my intended uses. Would you guys recommend the 3/4 Phoenix or go with the full length UG for warmth and simplicity of set up? Any other models that might be a better choice? Thanks foe your guidance on this.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I know most folks on here would recommend the full-length UQ. However, I have a 20° 3/4 length UQ from Loco Libre and have never had an issue staying warm- even when using it below 20°. Being a warm sleeper does help in this regard. Having insulation under your feet is a must, but it sounds like you already know that. I would also recommend a pillow for under your head, as the insulation with 3/4 length quilts generally runs from your neck, down to around mid-calf. I think a 3/4 UQ is also easier to dial-in and eliminate gaps than full-length.

I'm not knocking full-length UQs at all, and I know they are probably a little warmer in general. But if you're conscious of a few things, you should have no issues staying warm with a 3/4 UQ.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use a 3/4 UQ most of the year for 3 season and only go full UQ for Minnesota winters for the most part.
    UQ playlist.....https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Up here in Maryland I use a 40° 3/4 Phoenix for most of the hiking season, a 20° would work for me for all but January and February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. If a 3/4 UQ works for y’all in MN, MD, and IL, it sounds like it would work fine for me. If not, I need to get tougher. I appreciate the advice.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I know most folks on here would recommend the full-length UQ. However, I have a 20° 3/4 length UQ from Loco Libre and have never had an issue staying warm- even when using it below 20°. Being a warm sleeper does help in this regard. Having insulation under your feet is a must, but it sounds like you already know that. I would also recommend a pillow for under your head, as the insulation with 3/4 length quilts generally runs from your neck, down to around mid-calf. I think a 3/4 UQ is also easier to dial-in and eliminate gaps than full-length.

I'm not knocking full-length UQs at all, and I know they are probably a little warmer in general. But if you're conscious of a few things, you should have no issues staying warm with a 3/4 UQ.
    This mirrors my experience. I was out just a couple of nights ago with something similar, a 65" 20deg Revolt (Enlightened Equipment), and was totally warm down to 24°F when using my Evazote sit pad for feet.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

IMO, the question of 3/4 vs full length is less about warmth, & more about setup. I've gone down to 10 degrees using a 3/4 length UQ, with a pad under my feet (my pack doesn't have back padding so I always have it anyway), & was 100% comfortable & warm. That said, when I first got my 3/4, I def had some cold nights when I was get used to placement & attachment. Either I'd set it up poorly to begin with, or it would shift in the night.

I'd say if you're one that likes to tinker, & get's joy out of developing techniques & reaping the benefits of the weight savings, go 3/4. If you want an easy setup & cocoon-like luxury, go full length.

I've joked around from time to time that someday I'd like an extra wide extra long UQ, just bc it sounds amazing to be completely shrouded in down from head to toe. But alas, I'm a gram weenie, so this, I will probably never do

• + New Posts