HG Winter Palace questions: Tarp doors, replace line locs, cordage

I just got my winter palace with line locs and doors in camo and I have a few questions:

1. Replace Line locs: I'm using hilleberg 3mm line, it's quite a bit heavier than the line I was using before even though it's quite light and I'd like to replace the line locs with Beasty D rings, how hard is to do and what does it entail?

2. I want to use prussics to adjust once I get the Drings on, what is some really like line you guys recommend? I'd like spliceable amsteel type line.

3. Whats the best way to manage the doors, have them wuickly deployable, quickly stowable, etc. I already have mitten hooks.

4. Whats some good, light and durable shock cord I can use on the doors and to apply some safety sag to the guidelines if pulled by wind or tripped over?

Thank you everyons

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    For question 2, I'm using Lash-it for a spliceable ridgeline w/ pussics.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Ike_mouser, Welcome to the forum. If you are talking about guylines rather than ridgelines, the smaller stuff (LashIt, etc.) is usually pretty slippery. That’s why many use some kind of hardware (lineloc, Figure-9, etc.) to hold the adjustment. Not saying prusiks won’t work; but you may need to use more than the usual wraps.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For the doors, here's what I do with the Palace... black is shock cord, mitten hooks, Zing-it (yellow) mini-whoopies for adjustability. (This photo is actually the Hex std with doors, but it's the same on the Palace.)

Prusiks on the D rings will work well for the main guy lines, but a cord with good grip such as Lawson Glowire or Guywire (2mm) work really well for this application. They're not spliceable but I've never found this to be a problem for this purpose.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Here is my setup on a camo HG with doors. D-rings have a continuous loop of Lash-It connected to a Dutch fleaz. Stake and zing-it stay connected. Also on the loop is either male or female end of door shock cord side buckle connector.
    IMG_7698.jpg
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

For question 1: Not sure why you want to replace the Linelocs, but I wouldn’t recommend it. For one thing, it will require sewing to install the Beastie-d’s which will degrade the value of the tarp in case you ever want to sell it. If Linelocs are not for you, I would run a small loop of shock cord through the end of the Lineloc and use Tarpworms or Hookworms instead (I prefer Hookworms) spliced with 1.75 Zing-It.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1. i think it would help most here to understand why you want the linelocs replaced, and why particularly with d-rings.

i am no fan of linelocs, but i'd suggest to rig up something based on friction hitches (something better than a prusik, see below), and leave the linelocs on for now, see if/how you like it.
    it might not make sense, depending on why you want the d rings, but i suggest this to decide how you want to continue, without making any permanent modifications.

2. i like using friction hitches at the tarp side for easy adjustments, i have a few threads here with pics and short videos on how to do that/how it works. i advise against the prussik in particular though, and i would not recommend uhmwpe/dyneema if possible (the weight saving is quite irrelevant in such small quantities), but people here have reported making it work nicely with dyneema on dyneema even, using smaller diameter for the hitch cord, so you can probably make it work even with dyneema if you ditch the prusik. so i recommend you do try this, it's a good idea imho, i recommend the blake hitch or the valdotain tressee (which i describe in more detail in another thread, in short i prefer the VT from my testing so far, but the blake is more compact), both can be made to work as easily as the linelocs, and can be made to attach and detach from the tarp quickly, much like a soft shackle. just skip the prusik for this purpose, imho.

3,4. i'd have to play a bit more with doors before i speak about it, so i'll keep quiet meanwhile

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Oh boy, this reminded me that I never figured out a door process for my HG hex. Where did you source the mitten hooks and shock cord?

The local REI downsized its do-dads section, limited selection of shock cord and small connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For the doors, here's what I do with the Palace... black is shock cord, mitten hooks, Zing-it (yellow) mini-whoopies for adjustability. (This photo is actually the Hex std with doors, but it's the same on the Palace.)

Prusiks on the D rings will work well for the main guy lines, but a cord with good grip such as Lawson Glowire or Guywire (2mm) work really well for this application. They're not spliceable but I've never found this to be a problem for this purpose.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    A good source for all sorts of gizmological doodadery is Strapworks.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    thanks I'll give that a look-see

• + New Posts