Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Jacks are Better Mount Washington 3 or 4?

I have an under quilt that's good to about 40 but am getting sick of trying to use a pad in colder weather. I almost put the order in for a MW3 with the thought that I could double it up with my current uq if it was colder than 20. But I started thinking about it and maybe the MW4 would be a better way to go as it would mean less fiddling with gear out in the cold.

Thoughts?
    "The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know." - Michel Legrand

Well, some prefer to risk being cold at night in order to save grams in order to feel more free during the day hiking. The more I get older, the more I feel "don't mess with my sleep"... So I take bit warmer for UQ, too warm, for sleep, it removes the worries and expands range cause it can be adjusted. So MW4 for me or equivalent, can save weight on all else. Wookie 0 maybe? Add UQP. All the best.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL
    Tarp
    Standard
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    WS
    I can't imagine you would save any weight by having to carry 2 underquilts to combine them for warmth. I would go with the warmer one and just save the 40 degree for shoulder season and perhaps summer use. I don't think you would save that much money selecting the 20 degree over the 0 degree, either. You would save some, but consider the increased comfort and reduced 'fiddle factor' of spending a little more. An UQP would give you a little more insulation with either system. If you ever needed sub zero protection, you could combine the 0 and the 40 degree.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Layering is not that hard to do if that becomes your choice.
    Nor is venting a UQ.
    Down to you now......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDA View Post
    I have an under quilt that's good to about 40 but am getting sick of trying to use a pad in colder weather. I almost put the order in for a MW3 with the thought that I could double it up with my current uq if it was colder than 20. But I started thinking about it and maybe the MW4 would be a better way to go as it would mean less fiddling with gear out in the cold.

Thoughts?
    Less fiddling is better, especially when it's very cold, so I'd suggest the MW4.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDA View Post

Thoughts?
    Well, pros and cons, but if you are going to be doing lower than 20F on a regular basis, I can't see not just going with the MW4, unless cost is a major factor.( I have owned MW3 and 4, great UQs) And even then it is not that much money, seems to me. Of course, an MW4 is also going to be a few oz heavier and bulkier than an MW3, if those things are a factor. However, it is not going to be anywhere near as heavy and bulky as a 40F UQ + an MW3. When stacking in order to obtain adequate thickness, you will be doubling up shells and suspensions, in addition to down and loft. More bulk and weight.

Irrelevant if you are not carrying all of that in a (small?)pack on your back. But I can think of 1 or 2 more advantages and disadvantages of stacking other than money saved:
    Advantage: 1:if all works perfectly, it should actually be warmer than the MW4. Assuming your 40F is truly warm enough for you at 40F, that is 30 to 35º worth of protection. IOW, 70F(comfortable with nothing under you) minus 40F = 30F of protection. ( If using 75F as the "need nothing" temp, then 75-40=35Fº of protection. Adding that to the 50F to 55F of protection an MW3 provides = 80 to 90º of protection. 75F minus 80 = minus 5F or 75F minus 90= minus 15F. Add another 5º lower if starting from 70F. So, IOW, the stacking might be a bit warmer than the MW4.
    2: When you don't need all of that warmth, just leave the 40F or the 20F behind, and whichever one you take will be lighter and less bulky than the MW4.

Disadvantage: In addition to more weight and bulk, all of the above assumes a perfect set up. So that there are zero gaps and so that the outer quilt is not compressing the inner quilt. The oute quilt must be adjusted tight enough for no gaps, but not so tight that it will significantly compress loft of the inner quilt. Plenty of folks find it tricky enough getting an UQ adjusted just right to meet it's temp rating. Just imagine the additional opportunities for things to go wrong by adding another UQ and trying to get it to hang just right under the first UQ which hopefully is hanging just right? It could be challenging and a hassle. But, many do it successfully, so............

So, which set of pros and cons appeals most to you?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    JRB and HG
    Suspension
    Dutch straps/clips
    I have the MW3 and have done two trips where the temp hit 19 degrees. I wont go as far as saying I got cold but I felt like I was on the edge. I am a warm sleeper and did have the JRB summer quilt liner in addition to my top quilt. Personally I would like to have the MW4 as a second quilt but probably would not use it as much as the 3. Where you live seems like I would lean toward the MW4.

Quote Originally Posted by howsithanging View Post
    I have the MW3 and have done two trips where the temp hit 19 degrees. I wont go as far as saying I got cold but I felt like I was on the edge. I am a warm sleeper and did have the JRB summer quilt liner in addition to my top quilt. Personally I would like to have the MW4 as a second quilt but probably would not use it as much as the 3. Where you live seems like I would lean toward the MW4.

I've found that I use my summer quilt liner often inside my Sierra Sniveller (at least those trips that I'm not that concerned bout weight). It's a great piece of gear for the late Spring/Early Fall and also as a quilt protector.

• + New Posts