Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LL
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Sand + Wind!!!

Working on a fall 2021 trip to Assateague Island, and have an oceanside spot. Bonus - no bugs, downfall, lots of wind and definitely no trees. I'm chickening out and sleeping in the tent, but the kid wants to hang. We will be doing day trips, so tethering to the jeep isn't a viable option.

What do you think? Tensa? Turtle?

Obviously we will have deep anchors. I'm figuring on winter tarp for him since I anticipate a fair amount of wind at night and October on the East can be pretty chilly. Tarp should be low. Anyone have ideas?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Yeti 20
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    No bugs in Assateague in October? You must be going to a different Assateague than the one I know of! Bugs can be pretty severe into December down there. They aren't as active as they are in mid-summer but if you get a warm day with no wind they can be crazy. I used to camp there a lot. Such a cool place though, I love it.

Definitely nothing anywhere to hang on and the sites are pretty small. Tensa with some sand spikes, a good tarp and an underquilt protector is probably the way to go. In the fall the water is often a lot warmer than the air, so you can get some wicked fogs that soak everything if the wind is wrong.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Yep tensa is probably your best bet. It is not allowed to tie anything to the trees there. That and they are all tiny scrubby things anyway. Assateague may be the reason I finally make or buy a tensa.

Bugs are much better in October and later. Beautiful place though, absolutely one of my favorites.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LL
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    If we were bayside I'd plan on being eaten alive by bugs, but oceanside there's too much wind for them to be a huge nuisance. I've tent camped there many times in the past, the farm I taught horseback lessons at would rent out the sites for a week...those were really good times. Horses, alcohol, camping.... This time will be a bit more tame, welcome to the mom club.
    Great tip about the fog, I didnt think of that being an issue. Sounds like a sewing project to me. I'll look into making a tensa, there are some collapsible ones that could fit in the jeep.
    Thanks for the tips!

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images
    If your handy then make a Turtle Stand which is pretty easy and cheap to do. What I did in my yard to keep it in place because of wind was to take 5 gallon buckets and you can fill them with sand at the beach then attach them to the stand at the top with whoopie slings and carabiners. If you know someone with a pool they may have the bigger buckets that chlorine comes in. Lift the bucket up a little and tension the rope. Its worked pretty good and we've had some pretty darn windy days here. I do also have the tarp set up which may or may not help with deflecting the wind. Sorry I don't have a photo of it set up like this.

• + New Posts