DIY
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    becket hitch

"Clewbacca" UQ - and hi

After lurking on this forum for a few months, I may finally have something useful to contribute: the Clewbacca UQ. It's basically a Wooki-style, asym UQ with streamlined adjustable clew suspension and a dash of stretch mesh. I'm digging it.

Where I started:
    Got some CDTs and made a traditional UQ. Didn't like it. Added clews, liked it better but wanted an asym orientation. Cobbled together a Wooki-style UQ, stayed toasty warm, but didn't like how it changed the lay of my hammock. Pinned up a stretch mesh version of that and determined I needed adjustability.I've got a big, fat DIY hammock for winter, and I like how squishy it feels with a deep sag, but it seems to create challenges with CBS. Definitely have some Goldilocks issues here. Pondered building an insulated hammock and decided against it. Went back and read all 59 pages of the Get a Clew post, and started over.

Here's what I built and why:
    70" wide hammock with knotty mods that give me a nice foot pocket and windbreak for my head. I sleep super cold so wanted the UQ to wrap up around these areas and not move.

Main body of UQ is 60" 1.1 ripstop. Each end terminates with 6" of stretch mesh, shock cord channel, 9 clews on 5 Linelocs, biner. This achieves a nice even pull, no gaps, and allows for adjustability. The clews are short enough not to tangle.

Insulation is Apex 10, outer shell is 1.1 calendared ripstop. I pinned up and tried a variety of logical, mathematical techniques to achieve a good differential for loft. They all sucked. What worked was just giving the Apex and outer shell a bit of a floaty floof and pinning it where it landed.

To get the foot pocket/head nest wrap that I wanted, I added two wings to the main body. These snap directly to my hammock. Friggin delightful how toasty my feet and head are!

I have not bothered to put this fatty boombalatty on a scale. I have, however, put it in a pulk for a nice overnight with lows in the teens. Toasty! I haven't properly winter camped in well over 20 years because I sleep so dang cold. Not anymore! Middle aged lady gettin' back on the winter trail!

I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this forum. Thanks, y'all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    That's great! I love that you made something that works for you. Enjoy your craftmanship!

• + New Posts