Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing w/buckles

Experience with the Wooki Scandinavian

Hi guys!

Winter is upon us now but I still want to get out of the city.
    I have used my Incubator 20 all the way down to 0 °C with zero issues (except when I slept in the dew zone and it was soaked, but that was my bad).
    I really prefer sleeping in nothing but my boxers and wool socks year round, but this weekend we are going out and it's supposed to be -10 °C. I have no problem sleeping with more clothes but I am a tad bit worried about the Incubator 20 actually being warm all the way down to 20 °F. Hopefully the trip will be a success leaving me wanting to go even colder, and that's where my question comes in:

How good is the Wooki? I have had some issues with the air gap created by my feet causing a draft on the Incubator, and I have proper cold feet to begin with.
    Could it be a good investment to go for the Wooki Scandinavian and just always know I have a UQ that will take care of me, and use the Incubator for spring/summer?
    I know -29 °C is probably colder than I will ever need, but I'd much rather take layers off than putting them on in the middle of the night. I also do live in Scandinavia so I can hear it calling for me...

The plan for this weekend is to sleep with wool layers and add a foam pad (double layer XLC) if necessary.

Fingers crossed that someone with more experience in winter than me can share some advice.

Happy camping and stay safe!

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    go for it as you say, zero issues with wookie. I consider warbonnet quilts beeing able to go lower than stated. Still waiting for my -20c night

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    I have a 20°F Wooki and I am happy with mine, but I have not tried any others either.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    After this weekend you’ll know if that Scandinavian is worth the investment for a specialty (extra cold) environment. But living in Scandinavian and having a Scandinavian Wookie would be a sweet match. You mentioned the cold because gaps in the incubator setup. An UnderQuilt Protector may help with that and from what I understand, a Wookie definitely will.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Here is a list of the layers I used to enjoy a night's sleep at -26°F (-32°C):

Equipment layers:
    MacEntyre's canvas sock
    Warbonnet Mamba 20° topquilt
    Warbonnet Mamba 0° topquilt
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLCv2
    Warbonnet Wooki 0° underquilt
    Warbonnet Wooki 20° underquilt
    2QZQ underquilt protector

Was warm and toasty in an underquilt stack that could have taken me down to -40°F according to the charts so I'm confident you'll like a Scandinavian Wooki UQ.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing w/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    Here is a list of the layers I used to enjoy a night's sleep at -26°F (-32°C):

Equipment layers:
    MacEntyre's canvas sock
    Warbonnet Mamba 20° topquilt
    Warbonnet Mamba 0° topquilt
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLCv2
    Warbonnet Wooki 0° underquilt
    Warbonnet Wooki 20° underquilt
    2QZQ underquilt protector

Was warm and toasty in an underquilt stack that could have taken me down to -40°F according to the charts so I'm confident you'll like a Scandinavian Wooki UQ.
    Well done! Did you sleep in your boxers or some wool layers?
    I was considering doing it like you, just bringing two and stacking top and bottom, but then I might as well just bring one big and heavy one instead, right?
    Did you have any issues with condensation, or was it completely eliminated by sock and UQ protector?

Cheers for getting back to me, and happy weekend guys!

I've taken my Wooki Scandinavian down to 5 degrees fahrenheit with no problems. That's a ways off of its rating, but it didn't at all feel like cold was even beginning to creep in, if that helps.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Apologies for a very delayed response to "phonebook - just noticed this post now that summer has arrived:

I wore a pair of soft pants and a soft shirt - just one layer under the premise that less is more when sleeping in a down cocoon. I also wore a pair of loose-fitting wool socks and an insulated hood that covers my head and neck. Wool fingerless gloves as well.

The UQP protector keeps ground moisture and drafts from getting to the Wooki - plus the canvas sock means no wind or drafts will sneak in.

There is no escaping the condensation that happens when I exhale (snore) while sleeping but a frost bib and the canvas keep it under control.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised that a Scandinavian Wooki UQ inside an UQP and a canvas sock could be comfortable to -30°C. Did one ever arrive on your doorstep?
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing w/buckles
    Apologies for my late response as well.

Unfortunately no, not yet. Purchasing from the US is quite costly as I get shipping, local taxes (25%) and a handling fee on top so I am patiently figuring out exactly what I want before I order anything.
    We did go out this winter in -17°C (ish 0°F) and I had it quite snugly with my Incubator 20, double layer of wool and a warm water bottle wrapped in a wool jumper. I do need a frost bib though, as my bag was soaked in the morning.

I am quite amazed that my gear handled it so well, so Hammockgear and Mountain Equipment both deserve a massive shout out.

Thank you for the response. It is great being able to get advice from someone who has a night or two more outdoors under the belt.

• + New Posts