Smallest (volume when packed) hammock with integrated bugnet

I'm 5'7 and around 175 lbs, and I'm currently using a Grand Trunk Nano 7 and separate Warbler Bugnet, I bought this combination rather than a hammock with an integrated net because I was concerned with bugs biting from underneath and the full net hangs below enough to prevent that. I'm not sure if those fears are founded, but I prefer total coverage. I don't care much about weight, but I did want to prioritize small packed volume so I'd have no excuse not to always have them with me, even on a dayhike, in case it turns into an unexpected overnight. It's a very small combination... here it is with a Maccat Standard hex tarp. Tree straps and whoopie slings are also in the bag with the hammock.

mnO9bLx.jpg

When rain is unexpected but I'd like some shade, I even managed to stuff a SL Asym tarp into a pillow stuff sack to see if it would fit (it does... but it's a sausage, no room even for guylines and definitely not worth the effort to carry this way). Quarter for comparison.

eOV3vN2.jpg

I tried to stuff all three into a nalgene bottle for fun, but they won't quite fit.

Out of curiosity, is there a hammock with integrated bug net that packs down to as similar size as the Nano 7 hammock itself? I understand it would need to be a little bigger, but with half the netting required over a separate net I hoped to be able to experiment with foregoing it. I've found the Wraith UL and Banshee UL, and I imagine they pack down very small, but they also don't have any pictures nor can I find reviews that show compressed volume and the price is pushing me into diminishing returns. Does anyone know of anything else?

Regards
    Last edited by Refleks; 01-14-2021 at 03:28.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    One thing you can do right away to better optimize pack space is to use a *larger* stuff sack. This allows the "package" to conform to whatever space is available inside the pack instead of producing gaps of wasted space around those hard little balls formed by densely compressed items.

For the hammock itself, you could get something like a Dream Hammock Darien made with Mtn 1.2 and request that they use the lightest noseeum netting. But that's custom and could take a while to ship.

Off the shelf, there's Dutchware's Half Zipped in Hexon 1.0, and if you can live with a HUG (1/2 net, no zip), there's Dutch's Half-Wit.

People and places are different, but I've never, ever had a bug bite me through a single layer hammock with Hexon 1.0 or Mtn 1.2, or any other hammock for that matter. I guess you could treat it with Permethrin as a lot of people do, but I've had exactly zero problems with non-treated hammocks.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Not what you want to hear, esp when you see the pricetag, but I'm not sure anything is going to pack smaller than a Hammock Tent 2.0. I can post a picture later if you want, but it's about the size of your middle bag in the top picture.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Unless you are in your hammock neek'd, you’ll have the hammock layer plus whatever clothes you have on. So already more than one layer.

If you want a little bug security, you can use a HUG net. It hooks on your ridge line and covers your head and upper chest. It idea is the rest of your body is already in some quilt/covers/clothing. I take the HUG net, a GT Nano, and maybe a small tarp on day hikes. The Nano is a little small for overnight - but would work in a pinch.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thanks for the info, I'll check those out!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I believe the smallest volume (packed) hammocks with integrated netting would have to be the Dream Hammock Darien in Mtn. 1.2 fabric, and the TrailHeadz Banshee UL- which is also in the 1.2. The Banshee UL should pack a little smaller than the Darien- due to having a shorter zipper, and the hammock being 10.5' instead of 11'. That said, you can get a 10' Darien, which may pack as small (or a slightly smaller) than the Banshee UL.

I have an 11' Darien in the 1.2, and it packs quite small.

• + New Posts