1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps

CBS with a 0* UQ?!?

I have a JRB old rag mountain quilt, that’s rated to 0 degrees. Last night is the first time that I’ve ever used it as an UQ. I usually use a 3/4 length UQ with a differential cut that I made myself. I’ve only been hammocking for less than a year, so I’m still learning the how-to’s of winter hanging. Temps last night were in the low to mid 20’s, which I know the JRB can handle well as a TQ. However, I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle of constantly readjusting the pad under my feet, so I strung up the JRB in UQ mode, and I used my new DIY top quilt. I woke up around 1am with a very noticeable chill to my derrière. Luckily, I’d brought the 3/4 quilt with me as a backup, since it was my first time using the new TQ in those temps.

Now, it’s very possible that the JRB needs a good wash, or that I could’ve strung it up too tight, but the first thought that popped in my mind at 1am was “no differential cut!” Would the cut have made enough of a difference that I’d wake up cold with a 0* quilt? Or was it something I did wrong hanging it up? My hammock is on the short side, so the quilt was within an inch or two of either end. Because of that, I had to head and foot ends cinched up pretty good. Waking up cold was the LAST thing I went to sleep worrying about!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Been there and felt that, I bet most here have had that experience. In my estimation it’s likely a gap that allowed cold air to channel in. Either from the side or even from the head or foot ends. Get someone your size to lay in it and double check to see where gaps might be. Adjust accordingly to eliminate. It’s a bit tricky as each time you set up it varies a bit and it doesn’t take much to get a gap.

Shug’s videos help on this topic.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Yes, Shug’s videos are awesome - which is why I feel that - if anything - I had the UQ hung too tightly. From the way it spanned end to end, I’m almost certain there couldn’t have been any gaps. My husband is the same height as I am, so it won’t hurt to give it a try with him in the hammock. I’ve just never had a problem with gaps using the 3/4 length quilt, and I just assumed it would be easier to eliminate gaps with a longer quilt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
    Been there and felt that, I bet most here have had that experience. In my estimation it’s likely a gap that allowed cold air to channel in. Either from the side or even from the head or foot ends. Get someone your size to lay in it and double check to see where gaps might be. Adjust accordingly to eliminate. It’s a bit tricky as each time you set up it varies a bit and it doesn’t take much to get a gap.

Shug’s videos help on this topic.
    Mind the gap. If there's any wind and a gap it doesn't matter if you have a -30° under quilt it simply can keep the wind from eating the warmth. This is the main reason I only winter camp in my Warbonnet RidgeRunner as the under quilts fits this hammock as tight as a well fitting glove. Only in the strongest wind have I felt the coolness of a hard wind. Of course the tarp has a lot to do with this as well. You can throw more gear at this issue on a gathered end like a under quilt protector but this too can be hit or miss.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Pulling the UQ straight up with shock cord over the ridge line helps with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Also try to migrate the down. Good down likes to travel.
    Good luck getting a warm buttocks.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Its a gap. Likely small. Might be along the sides or the ends. You can get a gap at the ends from the end shock cord being either too tight or too loose.
    If its sealed all the way around, its not tight against your butt, back or thighs.
    If all else fails, look up triangle thingies. You can replicate the effect with a biner wrapped around the ridgeline or prussic.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    I’ve just never had a problem with gaps using the 3/4 length quilt, and I just assumed it would be easier to eliminate gaps with a longer quilt.
    I was HangCon five years ago and actually had Adam from HammockGear come by and look at my quilt setup to help me with gaps. I had an Incubator 20. He told me then that many people find it easier to get a good seal with a short UQ than the full size. Since then, I've gone exclusively to 3/4 underquilts and have had much less problems. Also, he showed me how to tighten up the primary suspension by putting a knot in it which makes it much easier to get tight. Good luck!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    I was HangCon five years ago and actually had Adam from HammockGear come by and look at my quilt setup to help me with gaps. I had an Incubator 20. He told me then that many people find it easier to get a good seal with a short UQ than the full size. Since then, I've gone exclusively to 3/4 underquilts and have had much less problems. Also, he showed me how to tighten up the primary suspension by putting a knot in it which makes it much easier to get tight. Good luck!

I have also found fewer things to go wrong with the shorter UQs. However, I'd say your odds are about 60/40 of too tight vs a gap. After all, the whole reason JRB and WB first came up with dif cut UQs(about the same time) is so that the quilts could be pulled plenty snug enough to eliminate gaps without compressing the down. Tying to get the ORM tight enough for no gap could have easily led to compression. The other side of the coin is that while trying to avoid a too tight/down compressing fit, you might have allowed some gap to develop. All it takes is a 1/4" gap or less. Hard to say which one.

All of my UQs have been dif cut, except for my Speer Pea Pod. For some reason, I never had trouble with that Speer being adjusted either too tight or loose. Though it was easy to pull it too tight and flatten the loft, I guess I usually had it loose enough, and the gaps didn't seem as harmful in that system that was closed around my hammock on the sides and ends. In fact, sometimes I would throw light puffy clothing into any on purpose gap to gain extra loft. But, it was not difficult, if not trying not too, to pull it tight enough to reduces 2.5+" of loft to 1" or less.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    AmberG - it’s difficult to see how well your UQ is “sealed” while you are in the hammock and for that reason I use a UQP. it doesn’t take away the responsibility to endeavor for a good UQ seal, but it makes it less critical. Also, when I wake up feeling chilled, it is usually my body’s way of telling me it’s time to get up and take care of something.

I’m glad you had a backup UQ ready. There are too many hours left from 1 am till morning to be uncomfortable.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast