Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Yes. It was predominantly from mid back to butt where I was cold. My feet had never been warmer below freezing in my life. Two nights in a row, I was wearing the same clothing, the same down booties, same hammock, same top quilt, etc. The only thing I changed for the 2nd night was my under insulation - I replaced the foot pad and 3/4 length quilt with the full length UQ. The first night, my feet were blocks of ice. The pad helped, but definitely wasn’t thick enough, and I struggled all night to keep it under my feet. That’s why I tried the full length UQ the 2nd night. Obviously, the quilt was made to be a top quilt, but the whole experience really got me thinking about quilt design, loft, differential cuts, etc. Of course, I can’t rule out error on my part either. After all, before this experience, I’d only ever used the 3/4 UQ that I made myself (I did use a differential cut), so I’m still very much in the learning curve of it all. But it certainly made me curious.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It's an odd thing. I remember two trips on back to back weekends where I got so frustrated I left (3hr drive home). I purchased an identical quilt, only 11' instead of my usual 10'. And the UQ just wouldn't work! You would think loosening it up a bit to make up for the extra foot would be all that was needed, if any.

This was with a 0° UQ on 10-20° nights if I recall. Even lounging during the day at 50° my butt was cold. I never figured it out and switched to a 10.5' hammock anyway. I was doing something wrong. Haven't been cold since.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123