Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Sometimes I stack my 20* underquilt and my zero* underquilt. I install the 20* underquilt first, closest to hammock. Then I add the zero* underquilt last. It’s on outside. The zero* underquilt is up tight to 20* underquilt, this reduces some of the loft in 20* underquilt, but then, chances of drafts and air gaps are slim and none.

And as mentioned, you and your husband can check setup while one is in hammock and other checks for gaps, adjusting as needed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    Yes, Shug’s videos are awesome - which is why I feel that - if anything - I had the UQ hung too tightly. From the way it spanned end to end, I’m almost certain there couldn’t have been any gaps. My husband is the same height as I am, so it won’t hurt to give it a try with him in the hammock. I’ve just never had a problem with gaps using the 3/4 length quilt, and I just assumed it would be easier to eliminate gaps with a longer quilt.
    Well, that sort of limits the choices, doesn't it? Does not sound like it was too loose. Earlier you asked "Would the cut have made enough of a difference that I’d wake up cold with a 0* quilt?". I'd say the lack of a dif cut could- if hung tight enough- could potentially reduce a 0ºF UQ to more like a 50F UQ. You can flatten several inches of loft to nearly zero. I was able to do so with my Pea Pod, or at least I found myself checking loft in the buttockal area once and it felt more like < 1", rather than the usual 2.5+". A little loosening fixed that, while being careful to not go to the other extreme.

IMHO (might be wrong) it is easier for me to avoid gaps in my short UQs. the legs, crossing on the diagonal, an the left side of the legs if feet are right, and the feet pushing out/down on the full length UQ, are potential problem areas. But not with my bridge hammocks, only with my gathered hammocks. Full length or short makes no difference with my bridge hammocks.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-20-2021 at 13:36.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    AmberG - I find the shorter UQ less fussy too. With a diagonal lie, my feet/hammock usually ride UNDER the UQ suspension bungee. With a full length UQ, your diagonal lie might be pushing out on the edge of the UQ and creating a gap. I used to really cinch up the ends but watched a video that showed those tight ends could create a gap with a diagonal push behind them. The idea was, if the ends are looser, they will form fit to the hammock shape better. Note the end cinching is NOT the same as lift. If you have a hammock ridge line, you could put an S-biner on it, down at the end and bring the UQ suspension bungees up from the sides and put them in the S-Biner. That provides a lift and closure at the end of the hammock. It might be that only one end needs that attention. But it’s only requires a second S-Biner to do both ends. When I say “S-Biner”, I mean some way of collecting and lifting those bungee lines. There are plastic hooks you can use along with various loops and ties.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Lol, well I guess it’s unanimous then. I’ll get someone to hop in and let me check everything out. Since it’s the first time I’ve hung it in UQ mode, and it spanned so far on each end, I may just not have had the ends cinched up enough. It was also the first time I’ve hung an UQ with the 4 corner method, so it must’ve just been user error. It sure makes a toasty TQ! Thanks for all ya’lls input!

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Im not sure if this was addressed but the Old Rag Mountain Quilt is by definition "was specifically designed for use as a top quilt with a foot sack capability" (off their website). So it has no differential in the design. That means you can easily compress the insulation and be cold. Dual purpose quilts can be tricky. Not really built as an UQ but can serve..

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    That was my thought...I’d originally bought it for a TQ, and it makes a great one - in a hammock, at least. I had a foot pad to use with my 3/4 length UQ, but it was completely inadequate for those temps (a piece of windshield screen), so I decided to give the JRB a try as an UQ. Going to bed, I was plenty warm enough, but by the time temps dropped to the upper 20’s, lower 30’s around 1am, it had become uncomfortably cold. Yes, I’m glad I had the extra quilt, also. I’d brought it, and camped close to the car, mainly because it was the first time I’d taken my new DIY top quilt to those temps. It hadn’t occurred to me that I might need it to supplement the UQ. My butt might’ve gotten cold, but my feet stayed warm - quite a novelty for me. Until I try it again (in the backyard this time), I’m going to assume it was user error. I can see how I might’ve unknowingly ended up with a gap or two on the short ends, so I’ll take a closer look with someone else in the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    There are too many hours left from 1 am till morning to be uncomfortable.
    Waking up cold and hoping it's at least 5:30am...but you look at your watch and see 12:28am. Total heart breaker!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Right! For a minute, I actually considered packing up and aborting! I knew it wasn’t even REAL cold yet, at 1am!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I also want to make it clear that I’m not bad mouthing the quilt! It’s a great quilt, and beautifully made. I was NOT using it for its intended purpose, and I knew that. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy this quilt, or any JRB quilt, in the future. Just throwing that out there.

Images
    Butt was cold but feet were warm? How about your back? If both were warm, but butt was cold, I'm betting on too much down compression in the butt area, which for me is always the first place to get compressed as the quilt hang is tightened . With no dif cut, it is easy to do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast