Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by H. Hastings View Post
    I used a HG Palace on a recent AT thruhike. It is expensive but when costed out over the number of nights I used it (and plan to continue to use it) I am very happy with my choice. It is very light, has great coverage and even survived the remnants of a hurricane when I was in the White Mts in NH.
    That's great to hear. I've not done a thru nor any hike of more than a week, so it's great to have confirmation (again) that with a modicum of reasonable care they can go the distance. October 2018 I spoke with a couple of guys in the vicinity of Bald Pate shelter, where Grafton Loop Trail in Maine runs briefly concurrent with the AT, and they were not far from finishing their second thru with Zpacks Duplexes, both made with the .51 DCF. They said that with about 350 nights or more on each of them they were just about spent, which demonstrates that these DCF tents/tarps should last a heckuva long time for the average weekender like me.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I have a couple shelters made with .51DCF. Worst damage they've gotten was little pinholes, but I hear that's usually from packing them super tight & the crease lines creating weak points.

That said, DCF is also the easiest thing in the world to patch. I have .51DCF tape I bring with me, cut off a little 3/4" circle, stick it on, you're ready for a storm.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    When I went to a DCF tarp, I chose the Hammock Gear 12' Standard tarp with doors in camo DCF. A little heavier with doors and in camo, but I do a lot of stealth camping. I haven't had any rips tears or holes, and I've had it out in 40 mph winds. I'm adding a photo of the tie out points so you get a sense for the hardware and lines I chose, including how I handle door management. The buckles have the ability to connect to the door on the opposite end, same side; and also on the tie out point on the same end, opposite side. I even bought camo shock cord. Total weight with 6 MSR mini ground hog stakes, stuff sacks, lines, and mesh tarp sleeve is 1.2 pounds.
    tarp.jpg
    tie out points.jpg
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123