Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tegwar View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience and the photo. I can see a natural depression in the background with the rocky outcrop. Did you consider setting up behind that to block the wind, or was it not suitable?
    That particular spot was quite exposed, but we (I was backpacking with MikekiM) had a great view and were fairly certain that the wind direction would be consistent based upon weather reports. There were some rocks in the vicinity that provided shelter for the stoves. The temps weren't very cold, so it was definitely a calculated decision.

Here was our view!

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    Beautiful shot!

If you have a tarp with doors, would it still make sense to set up with the SRL perpendicular to the wind? It seems counterintuitive to put the broadest aspect of the tarp toward the force of the wind rather than 'streamlining' the shape.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgl01 View Post
    Im looking to get a dyneema 11' tarp with doors and im wondering what brand would be the best choice to choose. Dutchware, hammock gear.......
    I would like to add this. If you are looking at a dyneema tarp price wise they are all about the same. One vendor has an all in one package and another has a menu... but when you build the same tarp... length, doors, tie-outs, pull-outs etc. they pretty much all end up at the same price. (Only HG has the extended palace that I know of).

Knowing that, I have noticed minor variations in construction, corner reinforcement, tie out construction, etc. the one I likes was by LiteAF but it does not look like they are producing any tarps right now.

Suggest you look at features you want, the go for it they are all made well by the reputable vendors.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I would like to add this. If you are looking at a dyneema tarp price wise they are all about the same. One vendor has an all in one package and another has a menu... but when you build the same tarp... length, doors, tie-outs, pull-outs etc. they pretty much all end up at the same price. (Only HG has the extended palace that I know of).

Knowing that, I have noticed minor variations in construction, corner reinforcement, tie out construction, etc. the one I likes was by LiteAF but it does not look like they are producing any tarps right now.

Suggest you look at features you want, the go for it they are all made well by the reputable vendors.
    I actually really want one from liteAF but you’re right they aren’t making any now. I just ordered a pack from them and the lead time was 20 weeks so I don’t see them making taros any time soon. And I noticed that a lot of them look the same with the same price. That’s kind of why I wanted to see if they’re were any differences between HG and Dutch or any others bc it looks like they’re the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tegwar View Post
    Beautiful shot!

If you have a tarp with doors, would it still make sense to set up with the SRL perpendicular to the wind? It seems counterintuitive to put the broadest aspect of the tarp toward the force of the wind rather than 'streamlining' the shape.
    With a tarp w/doors (especially the Palace) I'd definitely consider aligning it with the wind.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    With a tarp w/doors (especially the Palace) I'd definitely consider aligning it with the wind.
    So long as the design of the doors allows for them to close properly with no gaps, right?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    So long as the design of the doors allows for them to close properly with no gaps, right?
    Yes, and the Palace has to be pitched with the side walls rather steep to accomplish this. Also, I added some adjustable toggles to help keep the gap from opening in the center. Zpacks sells these items that are already sewed to DCF patches so it's a simple mod. Just make sure you get it right the first time cuz once you stick 'em they stay stuck.

Last edited by cmoulder; 01-14-2021 at 17:33.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I set up broadside to the wind, thinking would give me the most protection. It just resulted in the tarp being push into the hammock and water dropping into my shoes. The next day I set up parallel to the wind and it worked so much better for me. 1) less surface area facing the wind. 2) suspension trees added in wind blockage. 3) aerodynamic forces lifted the sides of the tarp away from the center rather than pushing them in.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps
    I used a HG Palace on a recent AT thruhike. It is expensive but when costed out over the number of nights I used it (and plan to continue to use it) I am very happy with my choice. It is very light, has great coverage and even survived the remnants of a hurricane when I was in the White Mts in NH.
    Harlan Hastings
    NPT Nobo 2013; AT Sobo 2020

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I set up broadside to the wind, thinking would give me the most protection. It just resulted in the tarp being push into the hammock and water dropping into my shoes. The next day I set up parallel to the wind and it worked so much better for me. 1) less surface area facing the wind. 2) suspension trees added in wind blockage. 3) aerodynamic forces lifted the sides of the tarp away from the center rather than pushing them in.
    Best made plans!

I setup with porch mode on one side with back and sides out. Wind completely shifted and picked up fast. I thought I was going to go airborne before the stakes gave way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast