Design Tips for a (much belated) Costco UQ

I have recently moved to a hammock. While a pad is sufficient for the cold, I feel it vastly decreases the comfort which could otherwise be afforded by a hammock. I would like to try out an UQ.

I will be working with a Costco Down Blanket (found one in my closet which was somehow never turned into a top quilt!).

After spending some time searching the internet, it seems the Costco quilts have been modified far and wide to varying degrees of effectiveness.

What is the simplest, warmest, lightest (obviously as a compromise) option out there?

I am comfortable with sewing but would like to have some framework or tutorial to follow as I am still relatively new.

So far my best "plan" is to just seam-rip the horizontal baffles and probably sewing a new seam to shorten / better concentrate the down.. once again, looking for greatest return on work!

Any tips / tutorials / suggestions would be much appreciated!

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    The Gemini is prolly the most well known version and the guide can be found here.

Images
    Warning: a single blanket by itself isn't good for much as an underquilt. Two together do very well, but i would only use a single layer concept indoors or on warm summer outings.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    Not exactly OP but I agree that one Costco throw is not much protection for an underquilt. That said, and I don't use a Costco underquilt but I do use one as a summer top quilt. I recently modified my UQP to include a layer of 2.5 Apex Climashield insulation which could improve your underquilt's rating. The UQP will also add more comfort on it's own by helping to stop wind form stealing your warmth. Just an idea.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Agree with the Gemini plans. They are great used in a double layer UQ. I use a single layer Gemini as a second layer to help boost my 2-season synthetic UQ.

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    +1 for Gemini design. I sleep warm, but have used the single layer UQ into the mid 40s wearing heavier mid weight layers. The double layer is toasty for me down to low 30s.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Here's the link to the Gemini

Hmm. I see how this could be a problem. I could check to see if Costco is still carrying the blankets to get a second.
    Are there any other decent budget alternatives for an UQ? It would probably be most used in summer / down to around 40.

EDIT:
    I'm also curious if it would be worth modifying the Gemini design by seam ripping and / or shortening the blanket to help free up some of the trapped insulation? I have seen this suggested on several other designs.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Maybe get a HammockGear Phoenix Econ 40. $110 and done!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 ripstop 9.5-foot
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Costco set
    Suspension
    Hummingbird button
    Hello!

I am super super happy with my Costco Underquilt and I've taken it down to about 38 degrees with a Costco topquilt (though I will admit that was definitely the lower limit of the setup and I was wearing my rain jacket, a fleece half-zip and two wool buffs -- one around my neck and one as a hat).

I did the faux baffles that you can see here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...h-Faux-Baffles and then I used some medium-fine elastic (thinner than shock cord) to weave a "clew" suspension as seen here: https://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/...clew-tutorial/

I don't think I cut away any of the quilt fabric before I sewed the baffles as the photo shows in the Faux-baffles link I shared. I believe what I did was to sew the faux baffles along the longer side, so that my finished underquilt had a length of 60" and a width of probably about 58 inches (the original 70 inches of the quilt was reduced by probably about 12-ish inches when I sewed the faux baffles). If you search "Costco faux baffles" on Youtube you'll get some videos that should help, including this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDOvilRZtgA

My underquilt has been in use for three years and it has held up GREAT. I love the fancy suspension!
    I have sewn my own: Backpack, hammock, bugnet, tarp, "Costco" top quilt with faux baffles, and Costco underquilt with "clew" suspension.

• + New Posts