Images

Hammock camping with a dog?

Am thinking about taking my dog hammock camping and wondered:

- Has anyone created a dedicated hammock for their dog. If yes, then A) and how did you train and condition the dog to adjust to it?, and B) what did you use for insulation?
    - Has anyone camped in their hammock but then had their dog on the ground sleeping below them? If yes, what's important to consider?
    - Has anyone tried sleeping with their dog in their hammock? (Funny question, I know...LOL)
    - What fabric would be strong enough to resist punctures from a dog's claws? I walk him on pavement so his claws aren't too sharp, but I don't want to take any chances with a fabric that could rip or tear....

(My dog is a border collie...medium sized, weighs about 50 lbs.)

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You'll receive many different answers because different dogs react very differently to a bed that moves when they step onto it. There are many people who have had hammocks for their dogs. One of my dogs used to use an insulated hammock. Another dog much preferred to sleep on the ground. My current dog sleeps on a dog bed under the hammock, but climbs in if she gets cold. (This is not comfortable for me.) On a steep slope a person can sleep fine in a hammock, but a dog may slide downhill. I once used a dog hammock with only one end tied to a tree on the downhill side. The other half of the hammock was on the ground for a dog bed. Try it. See what your dog likes. Pertex is a great fabric, but you can go lighter (and cheaper) with 1.9 oz. ripstop. Insulatimg a dog hammock is like insulating a person's hammock. See if the dog likes the hammock first.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I use this when I bring my dog (a 55lb Siberian husky) on a backpacking trip: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/pup-tent/
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    When my dog goes out with me, he always sleeps under the hammock. I provide him a closed cell foam ground pad & with an old boot mat on top of that for him to to sleep on. If the weather overnight is good, I'll pitch the tarp as I normally would, if at all. If the weather is bad, I pitch the tarp low.

I've read where some hammock campers sleep with their dogs and I'm guessing they're on the small size and can jump in the hammock once the owner has settled in. My dog is too big to get in with me plus, I don't want him in the hammock messing up my quilts with dirt, hair & dog smells.

Not sure how or if a dog would sleep in its own dedicated hammock or not, although I guess they could be trained to get in & out of one. Some have their dogs sleep in a doggy pup tent or the like. Not along ago I found a dedicated dog tent that looked like it might be a potential solution for overnight accommodations for a dog.

Mark K-IX Doggy Tent

Dutchware also carries a doggy put tent

There may be other solutions but those are 2 that come to mind.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    My 25 lb beagle sleeps in the hammock with me. That is her preferred location - begging me to get in. I typically pull out my hammock with a bit heavier fabric - 1.7 or double 1.1. No issues so far. I “practiced” napping with her in the hammock at home.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My wife found the Cave Creek Pet Palace. I haven’t bought it yet, It’s a little on the expensive side but it’s on my want to buy list for spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    There's several threads about dogs & hammock camping with many options discussed....

• + New Posts