Question Lightweight silpoly tarp options for WB Ridgerunner?

Anyone have any suggestions for a lightweight silpoly tarp that would provide adequate coverage for the WB Ridgerunner in mild/moderate weather? Something <14 oz would be nice and ideally would like to find something around 12 oz. Was wondering if a 12' Quest Tarp from Hammock Gear or a 12' Dutchware Xenon might work. I've currently got a 13' Mountainfly but would like to have a lightweight option for trips where I don't need as much coverage.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    You could always custom order a 13' Minifly here.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You only need 13 ft if you want whatever doors you have to close completely. I’d go for that in the winter - but I’d probably also pick a tarp that had bigger doors. In milder seasons, you could get by with more standard size tarps. I used a HH Hex fly with the RR for years. The deal is, on those trips I was kayaking so much more aware and choosy of the weather. In other words, I don’t plan trips (when with others) to experience storm like conditions. And it is seldom that a “sunny day” weather prodiction turns out to have 30 mph gusting blowing rain.

On short outings, the tarp is used more for a sun/moon/bird shade than to keep the rain off. The minifly or Dutch’s wide asymmetric is nice. These day’s I’m using a ThunderFly for GE overnight. I’m using the new RR (Dream-Tex SL, with carbon fiber poles) at home and plan to use it more in the field this summer. I’ll put waterbreaks on the suspension lines and use a smaller than 13 ft tarp.

But if you like 13 ft - full coverage with those smaller doors completely closed, Rusty has given you a source. I’m not knocking “custom”. One of my, “I’d do it differently next time” decisions, is a standard MiniFly I bought during a sale time and I’d really like to have something in winter camo - which would have been a custom pattern at the time.

So custom can be fun and bring a smile each time you pull it from it’s stuff sack or snake skin.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-11-2021 at 14:54.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Good suggestion on Minifly. Thanks.

• + New Posts