Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Announcing a new book - This book is NOT for you

Hello HammockForums friends!

I'd like to make a BIG announcement about a small new project I've been working on that will be publishing soon -- a new "mini" book on hammock basics.

As the title of this post states, this new book is NOT for you, at least not specifically. So why announce it here? Well, many of you may already have a copy of The Ultimate Hang: an illustrated book on hammock camping (TUH, second edition). At 330+ pages, a BIG book. Its purpose was to serve this community. To be a resource to the hammock camping community. It's chock-full of hammock camping goodness.

However, ever since I published TUH2 back in 2017, I've received a lot of requests for a smaller book that is a little easier to take out in the field, to share with friends, and focuses on the basics. But it's really my wife who finally convinced me to make this suggestion a reality. Thanks to the pandemic, I had a little more time to make this happen.

This illustrated hammock basics book pulls most of its content from TUH2, but with a lot of re-written content that goes even further to simplify the core message about how to choose a hammock, set it up properly and safely, and take care of it. The target audience are recreational hangers who may be new or even somewhat experienced, but still primarily use a hammock in activities other than true camping. I've cut out a lot of jargon and focused specifically on what truly matters to get set up easily and quickly. So, you won't find Whoopie Slings, tri-glides, or even any cottage vendors in the book, although I do shamelessly plug TUH2 if the reader's interest has been piqued.

My purpose is to educate and inform. Like you, I've noticed how hammocks have reached a tipping point and have become more commonplace, but alarmingly, I've also noticed an increase in accidents and fatalities. I want to do more to get this information out into the public to help folks make better choices. I want to get this book / info into the hands of this growing group of hammock users.

To achieve this purpose, I knew I had to make the information accessible. The book is one part of that. I keep the book small, not only to appease all the requests, but also to reduce production costs so I could offer it at an accessible price point. I'm also re-tooling my website and making the content available in blog form, so anyone can access the information for free.

FAQ

Do I need to buy this book? - No. Of course not! If you own TUH2, there is nothing "new" presented in this book, although it does greatly simplify the core message, which may inspire how you in turn talk to others about hammocks.

How much will it cost? - I'm still finalizing publishing details, but we're looking at an MSRP of $8.

Who is it for? - Anyone who just wants the basics, delivered in a fun, illustrated, easy-to-understand format.

Is it illustrated? - Yes! Actually, I've created a few new illustrations and updated many others. However, most of the content is pulled from TUH2. The tone is still fun and the illustrations simple and direct.

How "small" is it? - About 70 pages.

When will it be available? - In the next two weeks, or less. I just received the author's proof copy last week and I'm making final tweaks now.

Will a digital version be available? - No, for three reasons. First, the print version will already be at a low price point. Second, there is no incentive for me to go through the effort of programming a digital version (complex layouts are even more complex in e-Pub format and the author (me) gets charged for the extra download time). And finally, because I am also "publishing" the content online for free, the "e-book" content will be on my website. This is a tenuous decision for me because I know that the content and illustrations can be stolen and re-purposed, but I am sincere in my desire to make this content available broadly, so making it available online seemed like a necessary conclusion. Of course, I may change my mind if I have more "free" time in 2021 -- digital e-books with complex layouts are NOT easy to create.

Will you make a PDF available? - No. I'm being nice but I'm not crazy Writing, illustrating, designing, and publishing a book are each singularly time-consuming activities. Put them all together and you have an insomnia-inducing 900# gorilla on your back. If you want to show your appreciation, just buy a copy.

Is the book available for wholesale? - Yes. If you want to order bulk copies, email me at [email protected] for pricing.

I have some pre-production screenshots I'll share here. Please post any other questions and I'll try my best to answer them.

137288246_446000886766308_7135882316238056777_o.jpg

The cover WILL be in full color. This is just an author proof copy.

137279866_446000890099641_5990148137693212748_o.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 2.33.20 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 3.05.27 PM.jpg

Hammock
    Multiple
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo
    That’s cool. Easy for adults and kids to visualize. Cool thing is with illustrations, you can reproduce it in multiple languages.

Now the next real challenge is make it pop up. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.”
    -Chinese Fortune Cookie
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    This is great!

I have both TUH1 and 2, and while TUH2 is the 'bible' for hammocking — much like 'Freedom' is for mountaineeering — there is such an abundance of information about the blizzard of options for every aspect of hanging that it overwhelms the beginner. For this reason, I have often recommended TUH1 to friends and acquaintances who've asked about hammocks.

I'm sure I will be directing them to this new, quick read when it becomes available.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    It would be great if this book could start circulating all of the national/state park offices.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    +1 on the hammock pop-up idea
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Actually, I think this book IS for me! I loaned out my first edition of TUH and never got it back. So naturally, NO ONE gets to borrow my second edition.

But I'd love to have something to loan out. This might be it...

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I bought two of your 1st edition ultimate hang so I’d have one to loan out. Then I bought the second edition. It's fine - just not as “field friendly”. Looks like this latest will fill that gap. I’m sure I’ll get more than one (depending upon “volume” discount prices) so again, there is one to keep and one to loan.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Hello HammockForums friends!

I'd like to make a BIG announcement about a small new project I've been working on that will be publishing soon -- a new "mini" book on hammock basics.
    I was hiking the AT in 2013 and saw several hikers using hammocks. I joked that "they're perfect on the AT since there's lots of trees and not one, single flat spot to pitch a tent." I was gonna be able to go to Trail Days in Damascus during my hike, and joked that if there was a vendor selling hammocks, I was gonna have a hard time holding onto my money!

Well, Hennessy was there, and I bought his Ultralite Backpacker Asym Zip. It came with a "free" copy of TUH1. Jacks R Better was there, and I bought a UQ. (I had already adopted the TQ for ground-dwelling.) Dutch was there and his guys modded my new hammock with continuous loops, and whoopees with whoopie hooks, larks-headed to tree straps. Put that little asym tarp on it's own zing-it suspension with tarp flyz.

I read your book twice. Hung my new rig in the trees near the vendors, and had a couple of Hennessy's and Dutch's folk check it out. I downloaded the kindle version of TUH1 to my phone, and mailed my tent and my hardcopy TUH1 home. First night back on the trail, big thunderstorms came thru. I stayed dry and survived. I was hooked.

I have since finished the AT, Most of the LT and bits of the NCT all whilst hanging. Purchased a new tarp, a couple more hammocks, TUH2, and started making my own gear. I'll be back on the LT this year sporting my Dutch Half-Zip.

Thanks for making this ride smoother!
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Any news on the book? I can't find it for sale on either Amazon or even a link through your Ultimate Hang website?
    Like others - I won't loan out my book (original version) but this looks perfect for loaning.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Hello! I'm nearly there. My original publication date had to get pushed back and I made a few updates that I think are really important. I'm hoping to finish off the editing this weekend and then off to the publisher.

I'll post here again once the book is available.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast