WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Quote Originally Posted by arutha View Post
    I'm not sure what you want to use it for specifically. If you want to take it any significant distance on foot, I suppose getting an actual Tensa 4 is your best option (weight wise).

Otherwise, you might want to try one of the many DIY options. For home use I guess a version made of fence post or just a single diameter EMT might work (assuming you have those or equivalent in the UK).

I use mine indoors and will take it car camping (when that's a thing again) and made mine from 3/4" and 1" EMT. Each pole is in 3 sections and I made sure to cut them so that the longest (middle) section will fit in our small car's trunk. It's heavy though. There's a bunch of posts about various versions, including the one I made on here and the Tensa Blog actually links to some.

Hi thanks for that,that was another option I have looked at, we dont have EMT like you have in America,in the uk we have galvanised tubing that is very heavy duty, very weighty as well, I may well look at this, though can get aluminium tubing 33mm diameter but its not cheap and still have to build it myself, there is a couple of options I can look at.as for my specific use it will be occasional camp site(but where we generally go has plenty of tree hanging areas, but will be used for a lot of back garden use when I dont get away, my other half will not want me to stick up two 6inch oak posts in the garden of the new property we are buying so looking for packable options
    Last edited by hangerdave; 01-11-2021 at 12:41.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Yes, the WBBB XLC will hang within the Tensa4 if you set up on very flat ground or, if on a slope, orient your body to be parallel to the down-slope, otherwise gravity acting on you will bring a leg or such into contact with the poles. Read the terrain and you'll be fine.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If this is at home, and you are considering DIY, do look at the Turtle Dog stand and it’s variations two. The advantage is - no anchor requirements. And the tripods can be made of wood and might be more aesthetic in the yard. If you were going to keep it in one place, you could grow vines and plants around the supporting legs and just remove the top tube when not in use.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    All replies taken on board Thank you

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangerdave View Post
    Hi thanks for that,that was another option I have looked at, we dont have EMT like you have in America,in the uk we have galvanised tubing that is very heavy duty, very weighty as well, I may well look at this, though can get aluminium tubing 33mm diameter but its not cheap and still have to build it myself, there is a couple of options I can look at.as for my specific use it will be occasional camp site(but where we generally go has plenty of tree hanging areas, but will be used for a lot of back garden use when I dont get away, my other half will not want me to stick up two 6inch oak posts in the garden of the new property we are buying so looking for packable options
    A quick internet search found what you from the Toolstation electrical supply in Farnham. Here is the site:

You are looking for EN61386 Class 4 Galvanized Metal Conduit. The 22mm by 3M will be good. It has a threaded end so you could cut to length and screw the halves together to make it more storable.

Cost seams a reasonable £7.99 (Exc. VAT £6.66). This is similar to our thick walled EMT. But if you talk with them, they may also have other options.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    thanks a lot, yes its the class 4 we have here and was looking at that very same thing

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    I like the idea of diy Tensa stand with stainless rope instead of Amsteel etc because of possible wear issues, what size stainless rope were you using 4mm or 6mm to connect legs together
    David

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I like the idea of diy Tensa stand with stainless rope instead of Amsteel etc because of possible wear issues, what size stainless rope were you using 4mm or 6mm to connect legs together
    David
    David,
    Note the cable joints are not an integral part of this design. The joints can be bolted. The commercial Tensa stand needs the threaded joints due to the nature of how their product is made. As a DIY project the stand can be made with a bolted top joint and if you allow the poles to rotate along their axis then you can also bolt the lower joint. I found a hardened shear bold with a 6mm nylon spacer makes a nice joint to attach the hammock suspension to.
    Attachment 176791
    Here are a couple of threads to examine if you like:
    DIY Tensa Stand
    Improved Packable Stand

But to answer your question directly either 4mm or 6mm would work fine for this application.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Okay brilliant, thanks for getting back to me, i am going to go DIY on this to see how I get on, i have 22mm class 4 and 25mm class 4 1.2mm walled galvanised conduit, bit like your EMT, I shall slide one inside the other and extend and secure with lock pin, comes out reasonable price through my electrical merchants that I use,£6 for a 3.75 m length of galvanised, so two x22mm lengths and two x 25mm lengths,let the building begin
    Last edited by hangerdave; 01-15-2021 at 13:52.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Okay brilliant, thanks for getting back to me, i am going to go DIY on this to see hoe I get on, i have 22mm class for and 25mm class 4 1.2mm walled galvanised conduit, bit like your EMT, I shall slide one inside the other and extend and secure with lock pin, comes out reasonable price through my electrical merchants that I use,£6 for a 3.75 m length of galvanised, so two x22mm lengths and two x 25mm lengths,let the building begin
    I am assuming the 25mm has a wall thickness of 1.6mm (ID ~22.4) for a 2mm radial clearance. That will make a nice fitting join with little play and would only need 12.5 to 15 cm of overlap (min) could go deeper but may not be necessary. But play around with the fit to make sure to lessen any side to side play.

Here's a thought. Purchase
    25mm :Qty 1
    22mm: Qty 3

Cut 25mm into 1/4 = 93.75 cm: Yield 4
    Cut 22mm into 1/3 = 125 cm: Yield 9

Assemble 22 - 25 - 22. Gives 4 poles with total length of just over 3m using a 20cm over lap. Could also cut the 22mm to 107cm and have a 13cm joint. This would make the poles closer in overall length dis- assembled. Or cut all at 93.75 cm for an assembled pole length of 2.56m w/ 12.5cm overlap. This would only require 1x25mm and 2x22mm or 3 poles total.

Also I'd suggest not using the pin lock. Run a bolt or use steel rivets to make a stop. This has 2 advantages. 1: it allows the torsional relief at the assembly joint. 2: it allows quick assembly and disassembly without messing with fasteners. (structure is under compression so it ill not come apart in use). Also allows for pinning/bolting the Vertexes for ease of building and disassembled pole management.

Engineering wise, the 3 section design is better as it allows for the poles to be shorter for storage and transport, and it moves the joint (the weak point) away from the highest stressed area (the middle) for an overall stronger design.

I am assuming the 25mm has a wall thickness of 1.6mm (ID ~22.4) for a 2mm radial clearance. That will make a nice fitting join with little play and would only need 12.5 to 15 cm of overlap (min). But play around with the fit to make sure to lessen any side to side play.

Without doing the calculations I looks that this would have be capable of holding 150kg with margin.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 01-15-2021 at 14:00.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast