Dyneema Tarp, Rectangle, or Tarp With Doors?

So, I'm considering a Dyneema tarp..... prefer one with 'doors' for use in cold / wet weather. Am I crazy to think I can buy a rectangle tarp, and tie it out so that the bottom corners are used as doors ? Or.....if I truly want doors I need to order one with doors from the get-go ? Is a tarp ordered with doors wider or longer for the extra $ ?

Thanks !

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ductape View Post
    So, I'm considering a Dyneema tarp..... prefer one with 'doors' for use in cold / wet weather. Am I crazy to think I can buy a rectangle tarp, and tie it out so that the bottom corners are used as doors ? Or.....if I truly want doors I need to order one with doors from the get-go ? Is a tarp ordered with doors wider or longer for the extra $ ?

Thanks !
    Width will depend on which tarp you are looking at. The manufacturer's website should tell you that. A tarp with doors will be longer than the standard rectangular tarp.

Depending on what size you are looking at, it is possible to close the ends of a rectangle tarp to simulate doors, but it generally won't be as effective as integrated doors.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    No matter the material, any winter/wet weather tarp IMO should have doors. Width/length is an option for all tarps. Example, the HG Palace is wider than the HG Standard with doors. Either can be had in 10/11/12 foot lengths.

The problem with this idea is that the second tie out point from each lengthwise corner will dictate the geometry of the tarp when the doors are tied closed. Depending on the tarp this geometry may or may not be preferable, as the doors may encroach on your internal space. You could always add new tie outs if this is the case. Also, depending on the width of the tarp, the doors may or may not be able to close down completely.

Also, on tarps with doors such as the zpacks, the seams are all reinforced. DCF is susceptible to damage from repeated folding along the same lines, so you may have reduced durability.

If it were me, it would be worth the added confidence of having a specialized tarp with doors if I were going to be spending multiple days hanging in wet weather.

• + New Posts