Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.0
    Insulation
    Top & Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

UGQ ZEPPELIN FABRIC COMPARISON (MRS10 VS M10T)

Hello Hammock Forum,

First, let me wish everyone a great new year with lots of learning, growth and adventure.

The reason I am seeking your help today is related to hammock underquilts and specifically the UGQ Zeppelin.

My main concern and the topic I want to know more, is the fabrics the company provides.

The company provides MRS20 (20D), MRs10(10D) and M10T(10D) fabrics. Thickness and durability goes from left to right, with MRS20 being the thickest and M10T thinnest.

I ended up having to do a more detailed comparison about two of the fabrics due to absence in a specific color in the MRS10 fabric.

I am kind of trying to stretch the durability factor as much as possible whilst keeping the weight & bulk as low as possible.

I therefore thought to go with the M10T for Inner fabric and MRS10 for the outer fabric. However, I quickly realised that the color I wanted was not available in MRS10, and now I am left with the choice of considering the M10T for outer or switching the initial color combination over. Although, I prefer the outside of the quilt to be the dark one and the inner being the brighter one. The desired color combination will be Purple MRS10 (outside) and Orange M10T (inside).

The questions now are:

1) Realistically, how much of a difference the two fabrics have between them (MRS10 VS M10T) in terms of durability?

I did read the detailed description on the website and thus decided the MRS10 will be ideal for me, as I will prefer to save some grams but not lose much on durability. The MRS10 had the best of both worlds.

2) For example, how often do people use the M10T as an outer fabric when buying their/similar underquilts?

As I have not yet used an underquilt when hammocking, I am not really aware of the possible wear and tear from use, and thus cannot easily come to a conclusion. At this point I can only assume that wear and tear of an undeguilt will be different to a normal quilt, due to the difference in friction/rubbing against other surfaces.

Where one (top quilt) is constantly coming in contact with another surface under pressure and moving from place to place, thus higher levels of wear and tear VS the other (underquilt) which simply hangs above ground with minimal rubbing from the bottom of the hammock and thus lower levels of wear and tear.

Therefore, I can say for example that if I am being extra careful when handling and setting up the quilt, then there should be no problem with a thinner fabric.

My main concern however, is the situation where that thinner fabric gets caught up in some kind of sharp edge or branch etc, and causing damage to the fabric whilst setting up or handling the quilt.

3) How prone are these fabrics to tearing and ripping? Are these fabrics ripstop?

4) Will I be sacrificing a lot of wind and weather resistant going with the M10T?

I will wait for your advice and explanation on the above before putting the order in.

If I consider the M10T to be too thin to be used on the outside of underquilt I might just reverse the color combination and it should work fine. Although I really prefer the inner side of the quilt to be the brighter one and the outer side to be the dark one .

Please confirm if I am posting in the right sub-category!

Thanks for your time and help in advance

Chris

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Somebody will drop by & give you some guidance on materials, just give them time to spot your post & gather their thoughts, Chris...remember there's a international time difference too.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey pickled adventures- All I have to offer is my own experience. I bought a 20-degree Zepp with 950 down and a M10T inner and outer (charcoal grey and moroccan blue, respectively). Zero issues of tearing or ripping in ~45 nights on it in the rockies. I also have additional nights in it with a UQP made out of Hexon I think, but that's because it snows in the mountains and I don't want it getting wet. On it's own, I've been down to 13 with 40 mph gusts, no drafts. Once you get your setup dialed in, even expensive thin materials work like they should, in my experience.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm still waiting for my first UGQ quilt (MRS20 outside, M10T inside) to be made and shipped, so I cannot say anything about the specific fabrics UGQ uses. But I have or have had many quilts from quite a few manufacturers. The fabrics used for my quilts have varied from 10D to 20D, ripstop and taffeta. The weight difference between a 10D and a 20D is pretty small. For a 44" x 83" quilt, the weight difference between a full 20D and a full 10D fabric shell should only be about 50 g max. And I have never noticed a difference in packing volume. What I have noticed, though, is a difference in tear resistance or durability. I ripped two 10D underquilts when they accidentally touched a thorn. I was shocked how easy and quickly the fabric ripped. My 40D storage bags (uncoated) have seen much worse without showing any damage. I haven't tried ripping a 20D quilt fabric, but it should offer more resistance. Ever since that accident, I have picked 15D or 20D fabrics for my quilts when possible. I'll save 50 g somewhere else.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.0
    Insulation
    Top & Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Hey Ofuros,

Thanks for the reply

I am aware of the time difference, I just wanted to make sure I posted at the right place

Have a great day!!

C

• + New Posts