Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.0
    Insulation
    Top & Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

UGQ ZEPPELIN FABRIC COMPARISON (MRS10 VS M10T)

Hello Hammock Forum,

First, let me wish everyone a great new year with lots of learning, growth and adventure.

The reason I am seeking your help today is related to hammock underquilts and specifically the UGQ Zeppelin.

My main concern and the topic I want to know more, is the fabrics the company provides.

The company provides MRS20 (20D), MRs10(10D) and M10T(10D) fabrics. Thickness and durability goes from left to right, with MRS20 being the thickest and M10T thinnest.

I ended up having to do a more detailed comparison about two of the fabrics due to absence in a specific color in the MRS10 fabric.

I am kind of trying to stretch the durability factor as much as possible whilst keeping the weight & bulk as low as possible.

I therefore thought to go with the M10T for Inner fabric and MRS10 for the outer fabric. However, I quickly realised that the color I wanted was not available in MRS10, and now I am left with the choice of considering the M10T for outer or switching the initial color combination over. Although, I prefer the outside of the quilt to be the dark one and the inner being the brighter one. The desired color combination will be Purple MRS10 (outside) and Orange M10T (inside).

The questions now are:

1) Realistically, how much of a difference the two fabrics have between them (MRS10 VS M10T) in terms of durability?

I did read the detailed description on the website and thus decided the MRS10 will be ideal for me, as I will prefer to save some grams but not lose much on durability. The MRS10 had the best of both worlds.

2) For example, how often do people use the M10T as an outer fabric when buying their/similar underquilts?

As I have not yet used an underquilt when hammocking, I am not really aware of the possible wear and tear from use, and thus cannot easily come to a conclusion. At this point I can only assume that wear and tear of an undeguilt will be different to a normal quilt, due to the difference in friction/rubbing against other surfaces.

Where one (top quilt) is constantly coming in contact with another surface under pressure and moving from place to place, thus higher levels of wear and tear VS the other (underquilt) which simply hangs above ground with minimal rubbing from the bottom of the hammock and thus lower levels of wear and tear.

Therefore, I can say for example that if I am being extra careful when handling and setting up the quilt, then there should be no problem with a thinner fabric.

My main concern however, is the situation where that thinner fabric gets caught up in some kind of sharp edge or branch etc, and causing damage to the fabric whilst setting up or handling the quilt.

3) How prone are these fabrics to tearing and ripping? Are these fabrics ripstop?

4) Will I be sacrificing a lot of wind and weather resistant going with the M10T?

I will wait for your advice and explanation on the above before putting the order in.

If I consider the M10T to be too thin to be used on the outside of underquilt I might just reverse the color combination and it should work fine. Although I really prefer the inner side of the quilt to be the brighter one and the outer side to be the dark one .

Please confirm if I am posting in the right sub-category!

Thanks for your time and help in advance

Chris

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Hey there, (just giving your their source data)

UGQ has a bit on the fabric which is sourced from RSBTR:
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...21688430198832
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...nt=11055919489

https://ugqoutdoor.com/about-us/faqs/
    Q: What exactly is your M10T fabric?

A: M10T is our ultralight 10-denier breathable, calendared DOWNPROOF taffeta nylon. Our M10T was developed to be a great all-around UL fabric that offers excellent wind/water resistance, has an incredibly soft hand feel, and is highly down proof (both in lab tests and in field use) all at a great price point. It has a finished weight of only 0.66 oz/yd2, making it one of the thinnest/lightest taffeta nylon fabrics on the market. M10T has a Durable Water Repellant (DWR) finish applied to the face side of the fabric, protecting you and your down from environmental moisture. M10T has received a 5 out of 5 score on the International Rotating Box Down proof Test (a score of 3 is considered average). M10T is best suited for the inner shell of a quilt and the outer shell of a quilt for those looking for the lightest possible quilt but at the sacrifice of some durability.

Q: What exactly is your MRS10 fabric?

A: MRS10 is our ultralight 10-denier breathable micro-ripstopped, calendared DOWNPROOF nylon. Our MRS10 was developed to be a great all-around UL fabric that offers excellent wind/water resistance, has an incredibly soft hand feel, and is highly down proof (both in lab tests and in field use) with increased durability of our M10T. It has a finished weight of only 0.74 oz/yd2, making it one of the thinnest/lightest 10-denier ripstopped nylon fabrics on the market. MRS10 has a Durable Water Repellant (DWR) finish applied to the face side of the fabric, protecting you and your down from environmental moisture. MRS10 has received a 5 out of 5 score on the International Rotating Box Down proof Test (a score of 3 is considered average). MRS10 is best suited for the outer shell of a quilt for those looking for the lightest possible quilt but with increased durability over our M10T.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.0
    Insulation
    Top & Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Hey Little Shop Of Hammocks

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am aware of the info from the website. I was just looking for some extra personal experience from people regarding the specific fabrics.

Please drop a line if you have any insights. It will be highly appriciated!

Chao

Chris

• + New Posts