Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images

VIDEO: Winter Hammock Test Hang in the White Mountains

After previously testing my hammock out on top of my hill I was excited to give winter camping a shot when I ventured up to the White Mountains last week. I had a lot of day hikes planned as I continued to work on completing my winter 4000 footer list (now currently at 23/48) but I also wanted to spend a night in the woods. I ended up planning hikes around the Lincoln, NH/Kancamagus Highway area as it provided easy access to lots of peaks as well as a good spot to set up my hammock without driving hours around the Whites.

On my second day I hiked the Tripyramids in the morning and then I relaxed in Lincoln for a couple hours before returning to the woods around 3 PM. I found a nice spot near a stream about 1/4 mile from the car. While I backpacked in with all my gear I also used the short distance to return to the car to grab some extras such as booties and another quilt. Maybe the hardest thing for me was going to bed so early as I normally go to sleep around 10:30. But once it got dark I settled in to the hammock and actually fell asleep pretty quickly.

This worked out because after midnight it began to snow. It was extremely light and fluffy and almost seemed like rain at first. For awhile things were good but then the wind picked up and at that point my tarp failures became evident. I dozed again and woke to snow covering my quilt. I hemmed and hawed about what to do before finally deciding to pack up around 4 AM (I normally wake up between 4:30-5:00 so I was pretty much up anyway).

While my tarp issues are pretty evident in the video I was super pleased with how the underquilt/sleeping bag performed. Granted it was only about 22 degrees so not super cold but I was cooking in there and even when I decided to pack up my feet were only at the very beginning stages of cooling off. I went to bed with a hot water bottle but removed it around 10 PM as I was just too warm. Overall I consider this a positive test of my gear. Now I need to focus on my tarp in order to ensure I have success in the future. Here's the video:

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Rhody - looked good except, you know, tarp was a little high for the weather. I didn’t see if you had a UQP (under quilt protector) or not, but they are useful in those types of conditions. On the other hand, you were warm enough. It’s just that the tarp needed to be a bit lower.

Kudos for giving it a try and being wise enough to have a ready, but not too ready, bail out option.

Thank you for sharing.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for making the video. I enjoyed it.

Images
    Thanks for that video, I enjoyed that! Good learning experience. I like UQPs, but I don't think it would have helped with your TQ and the blowing snow. Either a (large enough) tarp or sock would be needed for that. I wonder if a tarp with doors, or big enough to close on the ends, would be needed against that light blowing snow? One thing that I think would work great in exactly those circumstances- even with a smaller tarp- is my old HH Supershelter with over cover. But, I'm sure you will soon get it all worked out. What size is your tarp?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Awesome video!

Loved the tarp part during the night. I suppose you woke up from the snow coming down on the tarp? I had snow already when going to bed and all through the night and it felt like I was awake the whole night. I guess you didn't even try to go back to sleep with all that snow coming down on you tho?

It's actually great timing to see this as I was wondering about my tarp experience in snow last week, where I was getting some 'spray' in my face. In comparison I had nothing, so thanks for that As others have mentioned, I think your tarp was way up high. Mine was way lower but the ends were open and that's where the snow blew in. I sort of closed one side off by attaching one corner to another but could only do that on one side, so I still go some spray from the other end. Like BillyBob says, a tarp with doors would probably help and personally I'm looking forward to my Superfly with doors for exactly that. So I'm hoping for more snow in about a week's time, when I get that Superfly.

Hoping you're gonna get some more snow at home in your backyard as well, which makes for much easier and more comfortable testing. Cheers!

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Nice video. As others have said, a lower pitch on the tarp always helps in inclement weather. Personally, I don't like tarps with doors... I feel like they are overkill 90% of the time. For situations where you might encounter blowing snow, a winter sock like the one Dutch sells solves both the spindrift problem and serves as an underquilt protector, and you only take it along when needed. Because it's essentially a cocoon, it also helps extend the range of your insulation a bit.

Looking forward to more winter camping videos from you sir! Thanks for posting!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Great video.
    I this is an example of where a top cover really shines. Not only does it add warmth, it also adds some protection from blowing snow and hail. I think a quilt protector would have helped too. That being said, lowering the tarp and staking it well into the ground would have prevented the issue of the accumulation on your bag. But the important thing is that you learned a valueable lesson through experience. Well done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Thank you all for watching and the great feedback. I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What size is your tarp?
    I'm using the Hennessey Hex Fly which lists the dimensions as 143" on centerline x 120" wide symmetrical hexagonal shape.

Quote Originally Posted by arutha View Post
    Loved the tarp part during the night. I suppose you woke up from the snow coming down on the tarp? I had snow already when going to bed and all through the night and it felt like I was awake the whole night. I guess you didn't even try to go back to sleep with all that snow coming down on you tho?
    The flapping tarp woke me up for sure. But I generally get about six hours of sleep a night and since I went to bed so early I feel like I was more or less always going to be awake after midnight no matter what. Shug always talks about getting 12 hours of sleep - haha, I can't imagine my body every letting me do that!

Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    Nice video. As others have said, a lower pitch on the tarp always helps in inclement weather. Personally, I don't like tarps with doors... I feel like they are overkill 90% of the time. For situations where you might encounter blowing snow, a winter sock like the one Dutch sells solves both the spindrift problem and serves as an underquilt protector, and you only take it along when needed. Because it's essentially a cocoon, it also helps extend the range of your insulation a bit.
    Very interesting, I shall check out this sock you speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortalviking View Post
    Great video.
    I this is an example of where a top cover really shines. Not only does it add warmth, it also adds some protection from blowing snow and hail. I think a quilt protector would have helped too. That being said, lowering the tarp and staking it well into the ground would have prevented the issue of the accumulation on your bag. But the important thing is that you learned a valuable lesson through experience. Well done.
    Valuable lessons indeed and thanks for the cover suggestions. I have some research to do!

Fun video. I have similar booties that are Neos Overshoes (uninsulated) They are great for snowblowing my driveway in my slippers. They have a strap that goes over the top of your foot near your ankle. I have a 15* HG incubator on order. I may consider going winter camping again this year.

- Clyde

Fun video. I have similar booties that are Neos Overshoes (uninsulated) They are great for snowblowing my driveway in my slippers. They have a strap that goes over the top of your foot near your ankle.

I have a 15* HG incubator on order. I may consider going winter camping again this year.

- Clyde

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast