Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images

Had run in with uninformed Nat. Forest campground host.

Over the holidays, I had my hammock set up flagged by a Nat. Forest campground host, that I could be ticketed or fined by a Nat. Forest Officer, for potential to damage the trees. (Salt Springs Nat. Rec. Area, Ocala N.F., Salt Springs, Florida). The person is an employee of American Land & Leisure, the concessioner who manages the area for the NFS. The area is primarily used by big RV rigs, and this person was obviously not well versed in hammocks.

I was using 1/4" whoopies MSH'd to 1" PE tree straps. Other hammocks (90% ENOs) in the campground used 1" daisy chain straps. I do not know if it was an overzealous, retiree trying to exert some power, he saw the 1/4" Amsteel, and reacted because it was different than what others were using, or even if he saw or recognized the tree straps. He backed off quickly when I questioned what was considered acceptable or what regulation covered the concern. He stated he was just telling me what he was told to say to people and that a NFS officer could potentially issue a citation. The confrontation did annoy me. I did end up taking the hammock down, as we were headed to Daytona Beech that day and the next day had rain in the forecast.

Researching the NFS rules and regulations, the closest thing I could find that he might be referring to is:
    36 CFR 261.6a:
    Timber and other forest products.
    The following are prohibited:
    (a) Cutting or otherwise damaging any timber, tree, or other forest product, except as authorized by a specialuse authorization, timber sale contract, or Federal law or regulation.
    or
    36 CFR 261.9a:
    § 261.9 Property.
    (a) Damaging any natural feature or other property of the United States.

Where in § 261.2 Definitions. The following definitions apply to this part:
    Damaging means to injure, mutilate, deface, destroy, cut, chop, girdle, dig, excavate, kill or in any way harm or disturb.

It seams this is the set of regulations that would cover hammocks.
    This encounter and the various discussions about Colorado State Parks and other areas that abolish hammock use out of fear of potential tree damage made me think it there should be a Hammock Industry Council, similar to the other industry's internal policy setting and legislative lobbing groups. A way of getting actual scientific studies done to see when trees are actually harmed by the use of a hammock. A way of providing expert information if someone is ticketed for damaging a tree because they used a hammock. And information that can be provided to administrators, local and state officials to influence hammock friendly rules at state and local public spaces.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    10 x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopee or UCR
    Tensa 4. Problem solved. Maximum potential. No trees required.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Perhaps my understanding of the situation is incorrect but Colorado State Parks did not implicitly ban hammocks.

Just as the regulations you posted state it's the damage to the trees.

Lory State Park here outside of Fort Collins Colorado for me is a perfect example; I have a friend who works for the Colorado Parks and wildlife as an officer and Greg would never have me take my hammock down provided my webbing was wide enough. I have had other officers push the situation but as I stated my case, I've never received a citation. Perhaps my situation differs slightly in that I have never camped overnight in a state park I've only used it for day use.

In the following article it details my experience pretty well I believe;

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post

Where in § 261.2 Definitions. The following definitions apply to this part:
    Damaging means to injure, mutilate, deface, destroy, cut, chop, girdle, dig, excavate, kill or in any way harm or disturb.
    I'm pretty sure I disturb all trees and shrubs every time I pee on them. I better start bottling it up.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I'm pretty sure I disturb all trees and shrubs every time I pee on them. I better start bottling it up.
    OneClick you are such a rule breaker....

§ 261.16 Developed recreation sites.
    (p) Depositing any body waste except into receptacles provided for that purpose.

I find it hilarious that peeing is prohibited in sub-paragraph pee.

Though I would argue that trees ARE receptacles provided by God for that purpose. Doubt the courts would agree.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Perhaps my understanding of the situation is incorrect but Colorado State Parks did not implicitly ban hammocks.

Just as the regulations you posted state it's the damage to the trees.

Lory State Park here outside of Fort Collins Colorado for me is a perfect example; I have a friend who works for the Colorado Parks and wildlife as an officer and Greg would never have me take my hammock down provided my webbing was wide enough. I have had other officers push the situation but as I stated my case, I've never received a citation. Perhaps my situation differs slightly in that I have never camped overnight in a state park I've only used it for day use.

In the following article it details my experience pretty well I believe;
    I did not explicitly review the current Colorado situation, but remember it was a hot topic last spring and remembered your post from 1/1/20.

Hi Sean,
    Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife!
    All of our state parks prohibit using hammocks that strap to trees. This is listed under a regulation that states that it is prohibited to mutilate, modify or deface any structure, including trees. Straps, ropes, and chains can damage the bark on a tree. For the specific regulation, click on the link below. It is under Article 1, #100 - Parks and Outdoor Recreation Lands, section C, under #2. Hammocks that are held up by stands are allowed. Jackson Lake state park will have hammock stands at all campsites in summer 2020.
    https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Ru...sLandWater.pdf

Warm regards,
    --
    Michelle Mullineaux
    Customer Service Representative

There may have been updates to this so I welcome being corrected... But that is what I pulled from the recesses of my memory when I posted.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    OneClick you are such a rule breaker....

§ 261.16 Developed recreation sites.
    (p) Depositing any body waste except into receptacles provided for that purpose.

I find it hilarious that peeing is prohibited in sub-paragraph pee.

Though I would argue that trees ARE receptacles provided by God for that purpose. Doubt the courts would agree.
    LOL!!! "Developed recreation site" to me is a place best avoided at all costs.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This encounter and the various discussions about Colorado State Parks and other areas that abolish hammock use out of fear of potential tree damage made me think it there should be a Hammock Industry Council, similar to the other industry's internal policy setting and legislative lobbing groups. A way of getting actual scientific studies done to see when trees are actually harmed by the use of a hammock. A way of providing expert information if someone is ticketed for damaging a tree because they used a hammock. And information that can be provided to administrators, local and state officials to influence hammock friendly rules at state and local public spaces.

Thoughts?
    Be careful what you ask for... you just might get it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

I have camped at Juniper Springs-also an American Land and Leisure operated Ocala Forest campground. Woman at entrance gave me a list of available sites and when I found one which I wanted I would tell her so it could be marked occupied. I told her I was using a hammock and it raised no concern to her. This was a couple of years ago.
    Sounds like you got an uninformed employee of a concessionaire who does not have any real authority.
    Call forest office during office hours and ask. They might even talk to the campground worker.

t

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    I have a set of these, the 6 inch wide ones. Older model was green, now black. Using these as the tree wraps should positively remove any question of you hurting the tree. Unless the law prohibits hanging hammocks on trees period, or the strap/cord around the tree is narrow.

https://gibbon-usa.com/products/slac...-ntn18456.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast