Over the holidays, I had my hammock set up flagged by a Nat. Forest campground host, that I could be ticketed or fined by a Nat. Forest Officer, for potential to damage the trees. (Salt Springs Nat. Rec. Area, Ocala N.F., Salt Springs, Florida). The person is an employee of American Land & Leisure, the concessioner who manages the area for the NFS. The area is primarily used by big RV rigs, and this person was obviously not well versed in hammocks.

I was using 1/4" whoopies MSH'd to 1" PE tree straps. Other hammocks (90% ENOs) in the campground used 1" daisy chain straps. I do not know if it was an overzealous, retiree trying to exert some power, he saw the 1/4" Amsteel, and reacted because it was different than what others were using, or even if he saw or recognized the tree straps. He backed off quickly when I questioned what was considered acceptable or what regulation covered the concern. He stated he was just telling me what he was told to say to people and that a NFS officer could potentially issue a citation. The confrontation did annoy me. I did end up taking the hammock down, as we were headed to Daytona Beech that day and the next day had rain in the forecast.

Researching the NFS rules and regulations, the closest thing I could find that he might be referring to is:
36 CFR 261.6a:
Timber and other forest products.
The following are prohibited:
(a) Cutting or otherwise damaging any timber, tree, or other forest product, except as authorized by a specialuse authorization, timber sale contract, or Federal law or regulation.
or
36 CFR 261.9a:
§ 261.9 Property.
The following are prohibited:
(a) Damaging any natural feature or other property of the United States.

Where in § 261.2 Definitions. The following definitions apply to this part:
Damaging means to injure, mutilate, deface, destroy, cut, chop, girdle, dig, excavate, kill or in any way harm or disturb.

It seams this is the set of regulations that would cover hammocks.
This encounter and the various discussions about Colorado State Parks and other areas that abolish hammock use out of fear of potential tree damage made me think it there should be a Hammock Industry Council, similar to the other industry's internal policy setting and legislative lobbing groups. A way of getting actual scientific studies done to see when trees are actually harmed by the use of a hammock. A way of providing expert information if someone is ticketed for damaging a tree because they used a hammock. And information that can be provided to administrators, local and state officials to influence hammock friendly rules at state and local public spaces.

Thoughts?