Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    If park camping I bring 3" wide straps for this reason. Often the tensa too, but tree hanging is nicer. Even 1" if used repeatedly in a park setting will eventually damage the tree.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hammocks are still very misunderstood.
    When at campgrounds I use my Tensa stand to avoid any to-do with someone put in charge that may not be familiar with all policies.
    Thus why I backpack on trails away from officials.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

That Gibbon tree wrap sure seems cheaper than a Tensa.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I did not explicitly review the current Colorado situation, but remember it was a hot topic last spring and remembered your post from 1/1/20.

Hi Sean,
    Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife!
    All of our state parks prohibit using hammocks that strap to trees. This is listed under a regulation that states that it is prohibited to mutilate, modify or deface any structure, including trees. Straps, ropes, and chains can damage the bark on a tree. For the specific regulation, click on the link below. It is under Article 1, #100 - Parks and Outdoor Recreation Lands, section C, under #2. Hammocks that are held up by stands are allowed. Jackson Lake state park will have hammock stands at all campsites in summer 2020.
    https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Ru...sLandWater.pdf

Warm regards,
    --
    Michelle Mullineaux
    Customer Service Representative

There may have been updates to this so I welcome being corrected... But that is what I pulled from the recesses of my memory when I posted.
    Yup that is the official stance - always depends on who is in charge of enforcing I guess - my ranger friend wouldn't cite a set up with 1" straps - but probably circumstances have now changed with the explosion of people using our outdoor resources and in a terribly human way - trashy

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    Even 1" if used repeatedly in a park setting will eventually damage the tree.
    Really?? How do you know for sure?

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be cheeky or confrontational. But this highlights the intent of the original post. To get actual test data to determine what does and what does not actually harm trees to help influence thoughtful and reasonable rule and regulations instead of ignorant outright bans.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    chapinb, I see you are from NY. Might I introduce you to one of the trees in the Pacific NorthWest.

IMG_1068.jpg

Here’s a little brother:
    TreeAtWhiterock.jpg

Of course water repeatedly dripping on a rock will erode the rock. But I wouldn’t want to calculate how many times you’d have to wrap 1 inch webbing around one of our Ponderosa Pines before it actually damages the tree.

My guess is Park People are more concerned about a “slippery slope” where they’d have people hangin on narrow line and hammering nails into the trees to keep the line from slipping down. Easier to say, “Nothing” than to debate “This is okay but that is not.”
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    My guess is Park People are more concerned about a “slippery slope” where they’d have people hangin on narrow line and hammering nails into the trees to keep the line from slipping down. Easier to say, “Nothing” than to debate “This is okay but that is not.”
    I think this was the real cause. From afar he saw my 7/64" whoopies and was on his way over to say something and never saw or registered that 1" straps were used at the tree. The contact made he could not admit being wrong and needed to maintain superiority. He maintained he was doing me a favor as an actual ranger could, in his opinion issue a situation over it. What can you do... OK got it thank you. .

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    In NC, any SP that allows camping will also allow hammocks. Only problem is not all of the camping sites have trees suitable for hanging. Stone MT SP will give you a map of the camp sites that are hammock friendly. Last time I was at Hammock Beach State Park I could not find any hammock friendly camp sites.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    A couple things to consider. The tree bark is the first line of defense for trees to protect itself against injury and disease. Secondly, I'm sure we have all visited campgrounds where either ignorant or malicious folks have damaged trees, often unintentionally. Such as testing how sharp their pride and joy axe is, pounding nails to hang item X, building camp 'furniture', and etc. For me it is a heart breaker to see such damage at campsites. In ignorance or maliciously it is unsightly and often over time kills the trees. Thirdly, trees are a wonderful and valuable asset in campgrounds and rarely are planted but are there through natural growth. Fourthly, it takes a long time for a tree to reach maturity. As convenient as it is to hitch to a couple of trees the most prudent method in a campground is to use artificial assets, i.e. portable stands or poles. What a prime opportunity to build good will between the FS and the hammock community by working together to install suitable structures to accommodate hangers.

PS: some of 'officials' spent their careers prowling the back country looking for ne'erdowells violating various CFRs. Horrible job, but somebody had to do it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yeah I don't understand why people do what they do. Here's a collage of pics I took years ago at a place I won't even mention due to gross overuse already (USFS is part to blame). These were taken within a few minutes, about 200' radius. I could have kept going all day. I can say with certainly, none of these were dead when cut. Not like that would make it OK though. "Brown and down" applies.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast