Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Thinking about this more, perhaps, I should write up a NSF grant proposal to study this problem. The proposal will obviously have to include funding for many, many nights of field research. Plus travel expenses across the county to visit many parks and could take years to compose the proper data set.
    Gonna need some interns for that field work.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    The trouble with looking at total numbers is it may not adequately address the question. Taking these numbers, this assertion, of a ban being reasonable, has an unwritten underlying assumption that the 150,000 hammocks are all hung on the same set of two trees. This equals a hammock hung every 3 minutes 24 hours a day 365 days/year. That does not seam reasonable. So, how many hang sites at a given park are there? One assumption would be there are 150,000 sets of trees. Each set is used once per year. If a hammock is hung on a set of trees once per year make an outright ban very understandable? In truth the answer is neither of these extremes. We do not know how often an individual tree is used to hang a hammock.

One set of data is from Great Smokey Mts NP. Their park usage data says that the developed campsites are occupied 225 days per year with an average stay of 3.5 days. Assuming 1/2 of all campers hang a hammock. on the same set of trees. That set of trees would experience only 32 hammocks hangs per year. Is hanging a hammock once every 11 1/2 days make an outright ban on all hammocks understandable? I'll answer for me. I do not know.

But to answer you question directly... I do not know. I am completely ignorant, if 15M visitors to a park would or would not kill any trees through hammock use. Thus, again the need for a study and actual data.

Thank you arutha for you post. Thinking about this more, perhaps, I should write up a NSF grant proposal to study this problem. The proposal will obviously have to include funding for many, many nights of field research. Plus travel expenses across the county to visit many parks and could take years to compose the proper data set.
    If you are successful in obtaining funding for your research project I am available to assist. Have van will travel. Have hammock will hang.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Gonna need some interns for that field work.
    Indeed, FL Turtle and two tents, your in... I think ~$1 per visitor to the GSMNP or ~$12M/ year. should cover it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    I bought a set of wide 2 inch polyester tree straps for use in popular, high use areas. I figure 1 inch straps are fine most of the time but the trees could probably use that extra inch at sites like state parks or popular trail sites. Cant hurt and its not that much extra weight. Plus its bailed me out once when I could only find huge old oak trees and needed the extra length.
    I knew that 25 foot dog bone would come in handy some day...

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    But to answer you question directly... I do not know. I am completely ignorant, if 15M visitors to a park would or would not kill any trees through hammock use. Thus, again the need for a study and actual data.

Thank you arutha for you post. Thinking about this more, perhaps, I should write up a NSF grant proposal to study this problem. The proposal will obviously have to include funding for many, many nights of field research. Plus travel expenses across the county to visit many parks and could take years to compose the proper data set.
    Hahaha, count me in on the 'hanging for science'!

Also I really like the "I do not know" answer a lot. My 1% was chosen just to use an "incredibly low percentage of the visits". Some of your calculations actually show that such a low percentage on such a large number might still be a way too large percentage! I think this is the beginning of the NSF proposal right the ...

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incobator 0
    Suspension
    Webbing w/Buckles
    I will be will to sacrifice by hanging my hammock for science.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345