Thread: Humid Climates

Humid Climates

If you lived in the southeast US, where it can get fairly humid & foggy during spring, summer, & fall, which 40 degree TQ would you choose?

Premium HG Burrow Long Wide Sewn FB - 16.53oz - $284.95
    Economy HG Burrow Long Wide Sewn FB - 19.41oz - $194.95
    EE Enigma Long Wide Sewn FB - 18.88oz - $215.00

I could also go with zippered FB options on the HG quilts, and the EE Revelation instead of the Enigma.

Thanks!

Both are great brands. The EE will be 2" larger in the foot box & 3 inches wider in shoulder width, if a little extra room is of importance to you. The EE is also avail in 7d fabric, which I love for a little extra loft & breathability. Whether or not to go with higher fill power / higher priced options is a factor of your budget vs your considered value to save weight & increase packability.

Can't go wrong if you pick one of those based on what's important to you!

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    I’m pondering this right now as I look at more backpacking and general camping next year. I always wonder how down will handle years of exposure to high humidity. I’m using DIY Costco down throws converted, and they do well down to the mid40s for $25. But mine got wet last trip, and I could tell real quick. Perhaps DWR treated down would do better.

Have you consider a synthetic quilt like the EE enigma Apex or SLD Eclipse? The SLD Eclipse long/wide made with 3.6 Apex weighs in at 21.46oz but only $155.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I'm in Florida. We got some humidity. No problems with my HG Econ quilts. I have them in 20F and 40F sets, with zippered footboxes for the Burrows. Per the HG website, both the 800/850 FP are DWR. The 950 is untreated.

In my experience, down getting wet regularly & then drying does not seem to effect its loft in the long term, as long as it's kept clean. For me, the issue is less about whether or not the down will recover for the next trip, but will it recover for the next day. In super humid environments, especially with cloud cover, I've been unable to dry a TQ before the following evening, & it was a rough night. I recommend DWR'ed quilts for these environments.

While synthetics are great at maintaining SOME warmth while moist, you do still lose some efficiency, & their warmth / weight ratio is already significantly less than that of down. I think the main benefit of synthetic is the reduced cost..

• + New Posts