1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps

My new down TQ!

I finally finished a down TQ! Up until now, the most complex project I’ve done is a 3/4 length UQ, which ended up being much easier than I expected, but I’d been putting off the TQ for several weeks. I finally found the nerve and the spare time to get it done.

I’m 5’5”, and the quilt is 66” long - just long enough to pull over my head (even though I never actually do this). It’s 50” wide at the head end, has a 42” foot box circumference, and has between 2 and 2 1/2 inches of loft using the 900FP down from Loose Goose Down Supply. When I made my UQ, I used Argon 67 for the inside shell and Argon 90 for the outside, but for this quilt I used Argon 67 for both shells. I couldn’t see where I’d need the extra durability of the Argon 90.

Taking inspiration from a member at backpackinglight, I sewed the top drawcord channel a few inches down, creating sort of a pseudo draft collar. The thing I did differently was to sew it on the inside shell, as opposed to the outer shell. My reasoning was that I’d still get the draft collar effect without the drawcord compressing the down. To close the quilt around my neck, I sewed on 2 small pieces of Omnitape - 1 above the drawcord channel and 1 below.

I’d wanted to have a fully integrated foot box, and although I’d read a few threads here about how this is accomplished, my brain went on strike that day, and I decided to just make a baffled pillow and sew it directly to the end. As I was doing this, the integrated foot box construction method finally clicked in my head as an “Aha!” moment, but the time and effort to go back and do it just wasn’t worth it to me. I finished sewing in my baffled pillow, sewed 20” up the foot end, and attached a triangle reinforcement out of the leftover fabric.

With its many flaws, it’s probably the best looking thing I’ve made so far, so I felt compelled to show it off. Without everyone here, and on the backpackinglight forums, who were brave enough to show their creations and methods of construction, I’d never, EVER have been able to complete this. Thanks for looking!

[AIMG]5B8F9692-8D99-4DCD-999C-F6C4FCB9946B.jpg[/AIMG]
    92E0F67C-2249-48FB-A56B-93DF1B7BE39D.jpg
    B6DA2BCF-1988-4529-89B9-3B49F3653F80.jpg

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    That's one awesome looking quilt!!! You should be quite proud. Let me know how you like the pseudo draft collar in practice! Your mod there sounds ingenious!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I will - thank you!

Nicely done, you should be very proud. That sewn footbox has been one of the things holding me back also. Just can't see it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Wow, that looks great — very impressive!

I've read so many times that handling the down itself is a major task, so congrats on that.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Very nice job! I just started doing some DIY sewing projects recently. Not ready to attempt an UQ or TQ yet though. Congratulations on the quilt. It looks awesome!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Nice work! Particularly on the draft mod. Should be nice and cozy.

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    Nice work! I really like your thoughts about the internal baffle without compressing down.

Nothing better than well made gear by you! My TQ and UQ based on the Costco quilts with extra down were just to learn and decide whether to invest in high end gear. That was about 4 years ago or so and it's my go to set. Still in use and they work great.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thank you! I finally took it out for a test run the last 2 nights, and it kept me comfortable in the lower to mid 20s, so I’m happy with it. Making a quilt was a lot of work, but much easier than I’d expected. Getting measurements right and following the seam allowances I’d planned for seem to be the key. As far as working with down, I’ve handled the ‘good stuff,’ that I got from Loose Goose, and the stuff I pulled out of an old comforter made by Rose Feather, and there’s no question that the larger clusters are easier to handle. With that said, I won’t hesitate to buy the Rose Feather stuff, if the down they use in comforters is the same they sell by loose on Amazon. It’s not 800 or 900FP, but I’ve only found a few downy feathers so far, out of a queen size comforter.

How many ounces of the Loose Goose did you end up using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast