Dutch Half-Zipped SL Hex 1.6
    Tarp
    Rain Fly Evolution
    Insulation
    HG 30 Phx 40 Brw
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

New Hammock Backpacker

Hello all. I have been hiking for a few years, I try to get out for hikes in the Whites a few times a year. I have only done day hike to date. I would like to start adding in some overnights starting next year. I have been researching hammocks and trying to decide what direction to go. In a bed I am mostly a side and stomach sleeper. As someone who has never slept in a hammock in the woods do you think there is value in jumping straight to the Amok for side and stomach sleeping comfort? Or do you think I would be best served to start with a conventional hammock? Thank you!!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcameron2479 View Post
    Hello all. I have been hiking for a few years, I try to get out for hikes in the Whites a few times a year. I have only done day hike to date. I would like to start adding in some overnights starting next year. I have been researching hammocks and trying to decide what direction to go. In a bed I am mostly a side and stomach sleeper. As someone who has never slept in a hammock in the woods do you think there is value in jumping straight to the Amok for side and stomach sleeping comfort? Or do you think I would be best served to start with a conventional hammock? Thank you!!

welcome to the forums. I don't have much to say oof which hammock you should get but I will say this: I'm a 100% side sleeper in my bed (I can't sleep on my back in the bed) but in my hammock (a gathered end hammock) I'm a 100% back sleeper (I can't sleep on my side). just because you sleep one way in a bed doesn't mean you'll sleep that way in a hammock
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nothing wrong with going Amok right off. It is very different than a gathered end hammock anyways.
    Fun hammock.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Welcome from NY. I'm relatively new myself and you're going to find this place a wealth of information and the people are pleasant. If you haven't already done so, dial up Shug's Youtube channel and watch every video (you can skip the ones about BBQ, control line flying and mandolin at your own peril). Honestly, most newcomer questions are addressed in his videos. And they are entertaining.

Hammocks are a lot like shoes, you have to try them to see for yourself. I'll share my experience: get a real camping hammock, resist the temptation to get a lounging hammock off the shelf at the sporting goods store. There are side sleepers here that can suggest models and techniques. There's a Shug video specific to side sleeping. I'm 99.999% side sleeper in bed, and I have no trouble in a hammock, although I mostly lie on my back just because that's where I get comfortable.

As for camping. My advice would be to practice locally in a park or woods where you can retreat relatively easily if things go sideways. Same suggestion if you were tent camping. Don't think that sleeping in your yard is the same as going into the woods at night. It's too easy to bail back into the bed at 1 am and you're cheating yourself of the learning experience. I used to do this and it retarded my growth as a camper. You learn so much by being out there working with your skills, that can't be replicated in your yard. For example, I hung my hammock between two trees in the yard. The trees were exactly 12 feet apart. So every time I 'practiced' I was practicing a myth because it's very rare to find trees in the woods that are perfectly spaced at 12 feet. My first night in the woods, therefore, was a bit of an awakening!

You're in a good place to learn a lot. Starting paging through the different forums. Lots to learn and it's free!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rain Fly Evolution
    Insulation
    HG 30 Phx 40 Brw
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Great thank you. I have been watching through Shug’s videos the past few days.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    As far as I can see, the amok looks pretty heavy. Compared to a gathered end hammock you would be hiking with a few extra pounds on your back.

If that’s not a problem for you, then give it a look? But for me, when I hike, I try to cut my weight down as much as possible. I wouldn’t look at that hammock as a result of the weight.

Just my perspective.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rain Fly Evolution
    Insulation
    HG 30 Phx 40 Brw
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by KingMob View Post
    As far as I can see, the amok looks pretty heavy. Compared to a gathered end hammock you would be hiking with a few extra pounds on your back.

If that’s not a problem for you, then give it a look? But for me, when I hike, I try to cut my weight down as much as possible. I wouldn’t look at that hammock as a result of the weight.

Just my perspective.
    I guess for me there is a cost benefit analysis to be done. The old comfortable on trail or at camp. How much does your hammock, bugnet, and suspension weigh?

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    I use 1.5 spider straps from dutchware, and tie a j bend to hang my hammock, so my suspension is like 45 grams per strap?

And my main hammock is a little shop of hammocks warrior. I think it’s about 28 oz or so?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rain Fly Evolution
    Insulation
    HG 30 Phx 40 Brw
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by KingMob View Post
    I use 1.5 spider straps from dutchware, and tie a j bend to hang my hammock, so my suspension is like 45 grams per strap?

And my main hammock is a little shop of hammocks warrior. I think it’s about 28 oz or so?
    Ok thank you. So per Amok’s website the XL with bug net and suspension is 3lb 4.7oz. So 1lb 4.7 oz more than the gathered end setup. Top quilts and tarps would offset on each, and a pad vs and under quilt. I looked at their pad vs and outdoor vitals storm loft 15°. The pad adds just under 1lb. So all in I you are probably 2lbs heavier with the Amok. I don’t have a sleeping comparison but I guess for an ultra lighter 2lbs is huge.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I used to think about weight a lot and then I realized a few things.
    - my pack today is far lighter than when I used a tent
    - I rarely hike more than 9 miles per day. Mostly much less than that - maybe 4. A few pounds more doesn’t make any difference to me really.
    - For an overnight where I am not taking much food, may pack almost feels too light. I mean it’s size to weight ratio is so high it seems a bit off.

So, I don’t think much about weight anymore based on what I need. I just load it up and go. If you are racing to set a thru hike record every gram counts I suppose so it’s super important for some. I lean to the comfort side of the equation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast