Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I used to think about weight a lot and then I realized a few things.
    - my pack today is far lighter than when I used a tent
    - I rarely hike more than 9 miles per day. Mostly much less than that - maybe 4. A few pounds more doesn’t make any difference to me really.
    - For an overnight where I am not taking much food, may pack almost feels too light. I mean it’s size to weight ratio is so high it seems a bit off.

So, I don’t think much about weight anymore based on what I need. I just load it up and go. If you are racing to set a thru hike record every gram counts I suppose so it’s super important for some. I lean to the comfort side of the equation.
    Agree. If you’re doing a substantial bit of hiking, lower weight is often nice. If you’re car camping, or setting up a base camp, staying there for a while and doing hikes in the park, then the amok could be a nice choice

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    welcome to the forums. I don't have much to say oof which hammock you should get but I will say this: I'm a 100% side sleeper in my bed (I can't sleep on my back in the bed) but in my hammock (a gathered end hammock) I'm a 100% back sleeper (I can't sleep on my side). just because you sleep one way in a bed doesn't mean you'll sleep that way in a hammock
    Same here. I'm about 85% belly and side in the bed at home, almost 100% back in a GE hammock. I'd get a cheap (but good!) GE hammock and experiment a bit before committing a bunch of $$ to the project. Also, this inexpensive GE will help you figure out which lay direction you prefer, which is essential to know if you decide later on to get an asymmetrical hammock with an integrated net.

I do agree that weight becomes more of an issue as mileage and vertical component increases, and when you're carrying it all on your back it can really become a problem not just because of the weight but also volume when food for multi-day excursions starts taking up more pack space.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-01-2021 at 07:51.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    .... I'd get a cheap (but good!) GE hammock and experiment a bit before committing a bunch of $$ to the project. .....
    In choosing a "cheap" hammock, be sure that what you get is at least 10-11 feet long -- and that is measuring the actual cloth part from end to end. Many "cheap" hammocks (sporting goods stores, Amazon, etc.) say they are that long, but they measure from the ends of the connection points, not the fabric itself. Dutchware Gear has a simple netless hammock for $42 that would be a good place to start. You want to be sure that you enjoy sleeping in a hammock before you commit to a trip where that is your only option. There's a lot to work out before you will be warm and secure!

(Also note that any "good" hammock/gear that you get from the cottage vendors heavily discussed on this site can be easily resold here for fair prices. Not so with "cheap" hammocks & gear.)

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket
    To echo others, you may find that your sleeping pattern changes when the support and pressure on your joints changes. I sleep every which way in a bed, so I thought a bridge hammock would work better for me, but I found a gathered end hammock to be less restrictive for my movement and more comfortable when sleeping on my back or my side (and sometimes my stomach!). The recommendations for a day hang are a great idea, you might even be able to find someone in your area willing to let you borrow a hammock for this purpose. I’m in Pittsburgh and would be glad to do this for any potential hangers in my area.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Zipped SL Hex 1.6
    Tarp
    Rain Fly Evolution
    Insulation
    HG 30 Phx 40 Brw
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Thank you all for the advise. Much appreciated. I am in the process of the planning a Presidential traverse this summer. Planning out the details. I am leaning right now towards the Amok but am still a bit torn between that or a GE. If I go GE I for sure would be going with a cottage vender. I always feel it is better to spend a bit more for a product that will get more direct and personalized attention. I also feel that in the current state of economy I prefer support the people who have put their lives into their passion.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    My choice would be a Warbonnet (got your cottage vendor covered) Eldorado hammock and Thunderfly. $265/42 ounces for the pair (w/ webbing & buckles suspension). You can use your existing pad & sleeping bag until you want to switch to quilts. Pretty much what I did after trying a Hennessey, but I went with a Blackbird.

The Amok looks comfy, but for hiking, I find simplicity and weight to be big factors. The Amok also requires a substantial sleeping pad - i found that I could use my shorty Prolite pad just fine in my WB hammock, without investing in yet another bit of gear.

If it turns out you're not a hammock person, WB stuff sells easily.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into your thoughts. The Amok is a heavy hammock. It also is used with an inflated pad, not Underquilt and topquilt. You may want to consider a bridge hammock. you can sleep in any position you like and the weight can rival gathered end setups if you go with carbon spreader bars. I went through several hammocks before ending up in a bridge.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rain Fly Evolution
    Insulation
    HG 30 Phx 40 Brw
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Still trying make up my mind and the Amoks are sold out until March so I’m using my time wisely to research more. I have been looking at the different cottage vendors. Been looking at the Chameleon a little closer of late. Weighing the options out there. Watching as many reviews I can find on YouTube gathering as many opinions as I can.

I don't want to discourage you, as I do believe everyone should sleep how they are most comfortable, but I will say, at home I am a stomach sleeper, & transitioning to sleeping on my back felt very natural when I first started hammocking. Most hammocks geared toward side & stomach sleeping are going to severely limit any ability to shed weight, or enjoy the magic of UQs. If it were me, I'd get a used Dream Hammock or other hammock recommended on here, & just give it a go! Worst case, you can flip it in the classifieds & go another way.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rain Fly Evolution
    Insulation
    HG 30 Phx 40 Brw
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Thank you all for your comments they have been very helpful. I have decided against the Amok. I just felt like I didn’t want go with something so unique. Just wanted a bit more flexibility in the future. So I have been looking at warbonnet, Dutch, and dream. I think I have settled on the Dutchware Chameleon. When I factor in flexibility, cost, and customer service I feel like Dutch is the best choice for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast