Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki0* TQHomemade
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Atlas

New XLC, New Hammocker, Old - New Questions

Hello all,
    I just received my new Warbonnet XLC, Superfly tarp, winter top cover and UQ protector. I ordered it with whoopie slings to hang from. Got it all setup and have a few questions that I see partial answers or answers that I don't think are what i am looking for. So here goes I realize by this point in time of this forum that I am sure I am not having any issue that hasn't to some extent been talked about or discussed in some fashion. So please forgive me if you feel these have been answered elsewhere in the forums. I have spent a considerable amount of time searching reading and watching videos. I am sure that I may be making things more difficult than need be and should just go lollygag a bit and ponder the actual inquiry behind the Ultimate Answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything. Remember I am coming from a quick buy of an eno doublenest 3 nights out and whooo buddy I love this hammock life. So here goes. Thanks again for helping a noob out.

1. Since the XLC has a ridgeline how tight are you guys and gals pulling your tree straps? I get it the ridgeline should not be like a mandolin string but also not like a limp noodle. Is this really just a spend time laying in it and fixing it for myself? I also wonder does the 30 degree rule still maintain for a hammock with a ridgeline?
    2. If I want to switch the direction of lay ex head left feet right to the other way around am I flipping the whole XLC hammock over then re zipping my bug net or top cover also flipped over or am I just flipping the top covering of choice so that I maintain my footbox? I haven't yet decided which way I want to lay.
    3. What weight does amsteel 7/64th whoopie actually hold weight wise it seems like I can find no less than 6 different numbers. Totally confused on that part.
    4. Those that have an XLC and or a superfly what has your life span been on them? With traveling on fires all summer I am planning to be out now less than 100 nights but could be out like this season as many as my new record of 152 nights in the field. Should I be thinking about buying another one now or soon with that in mind because I won't have a backup other than right now my ENO. What sage advice do you have for this conundrum?
    5. So I have decided I like the tarp ridgeline to be all the way across and under my tarp. But depending on weather terrain etc once you decide the height to hang the tarp I am often seeing to be attaching to the tree lower than my tree straps for the hammock so has this posed any issue since as i sway in the wind or from movement and the two lines rub is this anything to really worry about? I feel like it isn't but I don't want to be the guy that gets dumped from a broken rubbed through line in the middle of the night as I hold sleep as precious time after working 16 hour days for 2 weeks straight. Am I just overthinking this issue?

I am headed out after posting this to rest my setup try a couple more things and then get to some serious lollygagging while I wait for the avalanche of advice and answers from you all. I will be prepared with my phone and my hangtime hook to read all the responses.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    1. Since the XLC has a ridgeline how tight are you guys and gals pulling your tree straps? I get it the ridgeline should not be like a mandolin string but also not like a limp noodle. Is this really just a spend time laying in it and fixing it for myself? I also wonder does the 30 degree rule still maintain for a hammock with a ridgeline?

The 30 degree 'rule' should get you in the ballpark with the correct tautness of your ridgeline. Some will argue that with a ridgeline you can ignore the 30 degree rule, which, to a point, is true. If you get your ridgeline to the correct tautness, as you have pointed out, not sagging and not guitar string tight, you are set, and should also be in the 30 degree ballpark. Pulling the suspension tighter will not really change the lay of your hammock, but puts exponentially more stress on your suspension system and whatever support you are hanging from (tree, post, wall etc.)

Now, we are hanging hammocks and not building cabinets, so all of the 'measurements' are actually guidelines.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not sure if you read the Warbonnet Hammock 101. It answers a lot of questions.....https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...mock-setup.pdf

Hammock setup
    Blackbird, Blackbird XLC, Traveler hammock Setup:

The following describes a detailed setup method that should result in maximum comfort (vs. simply hanging between 2 trees and getting inside, which works also.)

Find 2 trees that are ideally 13-17′ apart. Hang the hammock so that “once occupied” the foot end is about 16″ higher than the head end, and by “end” I mean the end of the fabric, not the attachment point on the tree itself. Since the foot end needs to be significantly higher, the easiest way to achieve this is often to just position the hammock much closer to the foot tree AND attach the webbing to the foot tree at head height or above. Having the head end farther away from it’s tree means it will sink more when you get in and that is usually what you want.

The BB/XLC/Traveler is designed to be laid in “off-center” so that your head is very close to the head end of the hammock while your feet are alot farther away from the foot end. This allows the fabric under your legs to spread out properly when laying on the diagonal. To do this you’ll want to lay so that your eyes are aprox. even with the farthest side tieout (BB or XLC) so that one tieout is even with your eyes and the other is chest level. Once you are laying in this correct spot you will then determine if you want the head/foot end higher or lower. Most people will want it setup so that when your eyes are even with the tieout that you are basically level/horizontal from hips to shoulders, so if your upper body seems too inclined or declined simply move the webbing up or down the tree trunk to adjust.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    5. So I have decided I like the tarp ridgeline to be all the way across and under my tarp. But depending on weather terrain etc once you decide the height to hang the tarp I am often seeing to be attaching to the tree lower than my tree straps for the hammock so has this posed any issue since as i sway in the wind or from movement and the two lines rub is this anything to really worry about? I feel like it isn't but I don't want to be the guy that gets dumped from a broken rubbed through line in the middle of the night as I hold sleep as precious time after working 16 hour days for 2 weeks straight. Am I just overthinking this issue?

One caution with running your tarp ridgeline under the tarp is that you may have to deal with water running down the line and under your tarp. You can deal with this by tying drip lines on the ridgeline but under the tarp. Some do it, but I would not recommend running the ridgeline under the tarp except possibly in winter to assist with the added snow load.

As far as the lines rubbing on your suspension. It is not something you need to be concerned about. Some like to create a 'Y' at each end with the tarp suspension for the hammock suspension to run up through. I do not. My suspension and tarp lines touch all night long and they have yet to get in a fight.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakOverland View Post
    Hello all,
    I just received my new Warbonnet XLC, Superfly tarp, winter top cover and UQ protector. I ordered it with whoopie slings to hang from. Got it all setup and have a few questions that I see partial answers or answers that I don't think are what i am looking for. So here goes I realize by this point in time of this forum that I am sure I am not having any issue that hasn't to some extent been talked about or discussed in some fashion. So please forgive me if you feel these have been answered elsewhere in the forums. I have spent a considerable amount of time searching reading and watching videos. I am sure that I may be making things more difficult than need be and should just go lollygag a bit and ponder the actual inquiry behind the Ultimate Answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything. Remember I am coming from a quick buy of an eno doublenest 3 nights out and whooo buddy I love this hammock life. So here goes. Thanks again for helping a noob out.

If it is too tight slide the suspensions higher up the tree.
    2. If I want to switch the direction of lay ex head left feet right to the other way around am I flipping the whole XLC hammock over then re zipping my bug net or top cover also flipped over or am I just flipping the top covering of choice so that I maintain my footbox? I haven't yet decided which way I want to lay.
    You are just flipping the bugnet over.
    3. What weight does amsteel 7/64th whoopie actually hold weight wise it seems like I can find no less than 6 different numbers. Totally confused on that part.
    I have always seen 900 to 1000 pounds.
    4. Those that have an XLC and or a superfly what has your life span been on them? With traveling on fires all summer I am planning to be out now less than 100 nights but could be out like this season as many as my new record of 152 nights in the field. Should I be thinking about buying another one now or soon with that in mind because I won't have a backup other than right now my ENO. What sage advice do you have for this conundrum?
    Mine have lasted a long time with a lot of use.
    I always have my tarp attached to the trees below my hammock suspension. Always worked.

I am headed out after posting this to rest my setup try a couple more things and then get to some serious lollygagging while I wait for the avalanche of advice and answers from you all. I will be prepared with my phone and my hangtime hook to read all the responses.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Sheeesh - I decide to have lunch first and Shug and Countrybois have had all the fun

On hammock ridgeline tension - The ridgeline’s job is to give you the same sag, even if your hang angle is shallower than recommended (that 30 degrees you’ll read about). But it puts more stress on other parts. Hammock sleeping is about less stress. I set up the hammock so the ridgeline is just snug when I’m lying in the hammock. That means, if I were just sitting in the hammock, or looking at it from afar, the ridgeline might be a little droopy. Others don’t like to see any droop, so they set there’s so the ridgeline is just snug when they are out of the hammock. In my thinking, if you are close, you are close enough. You are not shooting for an absolute target. Just put “ish” at the end of all your measurements.

On head/foot direction. My blackbird is not reversible (unless I want to go “netless” with the net of the bottom). But when I’m tired - it doesn’t matter. I’ve slept on the ground, on the floor, on couches, in chairs on snow fields, etc. The difference between head left or right is very little concern - though it might be a little easier to manage the zipper if your head is on the side of the zipper openning. Sure, a person can have a preference or be more sensitive to that aspect. But I think it will settle in to its natural priority once you have more time in the hammock.

In the same issue of priority, unless your body weight is approaching 943 lbs, I wouldn’t give a second thought to the load capacity of 7/64th Amsteel. What else are you going to have in that hammock besides yourself?

Before you consider a second tarp, you need TUT (Time Under Tarp) with your superfly. If you are using this in the summer, you may decide you want the option of a smaller tarp. They can last for years and years. But when you say “fire”, I think floating embers. So I don’t know your situation. Even if something made hole in the fabric, it can be patched. If that happens, be sure to patch it, if possible, with something (probably Tenacious Tape) of a different color so you will have memories and tales to tell. Some people spend a lot of money on a very light tarp - that’s their situation. I often have a kayak carrying my tarp (tarps - always more than one; eating area, etc.) so I don’t care so much about weight. And if I’m reasonably assured the weather will be nice, something as small as a WB MiniFly is enough. The point is, you will know what you need/want after you spend some time under your SuperFly. If you need something in a hurry, one of those blue tarps sold at hardware stores will work short term.

The tarp connection point on the tree is often lower than the hammock connection point - nothing wrong with stringing the tarp higher if weather permits. In the past, I used a continuous tarp ridgeline style where the tarp itself was one side of an oval and it gave me split lines (on each side of the tree - the the line running over the tarp ridgeline as it went through a mini-biner at each end of the tarp) so the hammock suspension could go between them. But later I didn’t like the idea of my hammock absorbing any stress (pull) on that ridgeline. So now I just have a single line between the trees and the tarp hangs off that (like a hammock hanging off it’s ridgeline) with Nama claws. My day tarp is set up the same way but I just use a prusik on the ridgeline. Also, in order for the hammock line to run between the split tarp lines, it has to come off the center of the tree. That puts a little more stress on the hammock suspension line where it connects to itself at the tree. So now I run the hammock suspension line so it comes off the side of the tree. It doesn’t matter that it touches the tarp line. Also, if the tree isn’t too big, I can run the hammock ridgeline off one side of the tree and the tarp ridgeline off the other side. There is no rule that says the hammock must be centered down the ridgeline of the tarp; just as there is no rule that says the tarp ridgeline must be level.

If there is any wear - it will not “rub through in the middle of the night”. That is, you will see any wear before it comes close to wearing through. Yes, line under tension is cut very easily. And when rock climbing I have seen people pull nylon against nylon such that it brittlefies it. But that is not the normal environment for hammock suspension.

I’m guessing most people here use their gear for recreation, they want the lightest they can afford and that will do the job. They have the luxury of chosing their camp site and how long they take to set up and take down their gear, etc. You, on the other hand, will be working. Your hammock will be your daily home and it many even be transported to a new area for you. It’s different.

For example, one summer I was a tree planter. I showed up with my little back packing tent (a time of unenlightenment). I had a minimal sleeping pad. We were out for weeks at a time. Every morning, as I crawled out of my small tent, I’d see co-worker walking out of their canvas “cabins”. I’d fire up my little svea stove while they were making omelets on their propane burners. Now if I had a big tarp - like your SuperFly - and a nice hammock, so I wouldn't spend so much time crawling around on the ground, it would have been more … comfortable. So I’m just suggesting that you don’t try to outfit yourself like 30 mile-a-day thru-hiker.

Finally - remember to seam seal the panel pulls on your SuperFly and consider using some fashion of external pole mod to open it out. You can guy out those panel pulls, but if you are living around many others, you may want to minimize the number of lines coming off your tarp.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-30-2020 at 19:30.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    XLC, Superior Gear 0deg
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki0* TQHomemade
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Atlas
    See this is why i am digging this forum so much. Thank you guys for the replies and the shared info. Shug, Thanks for posting the videos as well. I had watched them but to be honest I have watched so many now I forgot that these were there. I remembered a video discussing the switching of the top cover or bug net but could not for the life of me find it again. Cougarmeat thanks for the advice of just slowing the roll and spending some time under tarp. As far as approaching 943lbs god I hope not. It is bulking season though lol. Countrybois good tips on the ridgeline under my tarp. I hadn't thought of the whole rain and water transport part yet since we are in winter. I will rethink my rainy or more wet weather scenario. I have poles coming tomorrow so I can do the pole mod for the pull outs. I was going to just use my trek poles but decided I liked those for the porch mode and other options. You guys gave me more things to ponder and try and tweak. I just spent the last 5 hours out in the test center swapping quilts, covers, nets slings, straps, and hardware. I can see this is going to be a fun time trying it all out and adjusting to all the different hang challenges that are present every time I will use it. Thanks for having the patience to discuss these questions with me.

Hammock
    XLC, Superior Gear 0deg
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki0* TQHomemade
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Atlas
    ps I am so happy with the XLC and superfly purchase Shug thanks for the videos on all the hammocks, suspension etc helped me make a great decision. Warbonnet two thumbs up loving the speed of delivery, quality of product and thoughtful engineering.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Experience will indeed be your best teacher.

Get out there and enjoy the process.... After all, being outside is why we all do this, right?

Hopefully, our tips help shorten the learning curve.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    XLC, Superior Gear 0deg
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki0* TQHomemade
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Experience will indeed be your best teacher.

Get out there and enjoy the process.... After all, being outside is why we all do this, right?

Hopefully, our tips help shorten the learning curve.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Well.just had one of the best nights sleep I have had in awhile. I got it all strung up and adjusted and swapped out the way I think will be easy fast setup for me. It got down to 25 degrees out last night so not cold but a good chill. Had a slight bit of condensation so I may need to keep the winter cover open just a bit more at night. I have to say though with the flat lay of the XLC and the ability to add a pad in between the layers it provided a great night's sleep. I will think hard about heading to the WI frozen butt hang if I can get a few schedule things worked out next week. Thank you all again for the direction and discussion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast