Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My first TurtleDog stand.

Here we go. Followed the great guide here on the forums:

My TurtleDog Stand
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

and busted this out in about two hours. The 550 paracord is just a mock-up, its getting replaced by amsteel as soon as my order arrives from dutch clips:

I chose not to set the angle of the legs as fixed.

With the rope to bind the diameter of the legs, this allows me to position the stands on uneven surfaces a bit easier.

I think the total cost was about $60.

One problem i did not solve is how to make a collapsing ridge bar. This 10 foot fence top rail works awesome but its super huge and not portable at all for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pnw-rider; 12-28-2020 at 19:45.

What i guess i need is interlocking titanium tubing of about the 1/16” wall thickness and a 1.5” diameter. I bet those would cost an arm and both legs even if i could get them from mcmaster carr, which i cant.

Any ideas on a more portable top rail?

I thought of cutting this one in half and flipping one side, but i figured it might look janky.

Cutting it in half and flipping one end would certainly work and I’ve seen it done.
    It’s not the best solution from an engineering viewpoint as the area of maximum stress is right in the middle of the top tube so it’s best not to have the join there.
    One solution is to cut the top tube in three so the joins are off centre. It does mean that you need two swaged ends though. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Cutting it in half and flipping one end would certainly work and I’ve seen it done.
    It’s not the best solution from an engineering viewpoint as the area of maximum stress is right in the middle of the top tube so it’s best not to have the join there.
    One solution is to cut the top tube in three so the joins are off centre. It does mean that you need two swaged ends though. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah buying three top rails and cutting them may be the best way. I may give that a go.

Images
    My top rail is 3-piece and comes apart rather easily. I've been bonked on the head more than once when getting in or out.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Don’t you only need TWO top rails so you have two swaged ends and they go into a center piece? Even though the pressure is toward the center, I’d feel more secure of those pieces were somewhat locked. But that would mean drilling into the tubing (causing a weakness?). I read that some people put a wooden dowel inside the top tube at the joint. Don’t know if that would actually help or if it’s just psycological hand holding.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Don’t you only need TWO top rails so you have two swaged ends and they go into a center piece? Even though the pressure is toward the center, I’d feel more secure of those pieces were somewhat locked. But that would mean drilling into the tubing (causing a weakness?). I read that some people put a wooden dowel inside the top tube at the joint. Don’t know if that would actually help or if it’s just psycological hand holding.
    All very good questions!

I dont have the answers. I think that while two joints vs one is one more point of failure, having the joints positioned at L/3 intervals instead of right at the midpoint is worthy of serious consideration.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft 2.2 oz Hex 70
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by pnw-rider View Post
    All very good questions!

I dont have the answers. I think that while two joints vs one is one more point of failure, having the joints positioned at L/3 intervals instead of right at the midpoint is worthy of serious consideration.

Not a turtledog stand but I am using a connector that I got on tarps.com for 1 3/8 top rail that works well in the center of my stand

There is no real bowing and the stand has been working for the last month for every night sleeping.

The L brackets on the ends might be taking more of the stress tho.

I hope this was helpful at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RobScottStewart View Post
    Not a turtledog stand but I am using a connector that I got on tarps.com for 1 3/8 top rail that works well in the center of my stand

There is no real bowing and the stand has been working for the last month for every night sleeping.

The L brackets on the ends might be taking more of the stress tho.

I hope this was helpful at all.

That is super helpful! I may order that connector (x2)

pnw,

I use three pieces for the top rail. Lowes has them swagged out.

Ive got no worries about failure but when I set it up...I duct tape the joints. This design is surprisingly stable and strong.

Have fun.

Bob

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast