Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by H. Hastings View Post
    Years ago I used to put everything in stuff sacks/dry bags. All different sizes and colors so I could "organize" my gear. Then I started reading about some folks who just "stuffed" their quilts, etc. in the bottom of the pack and how they optimized useable volume by letting the soft stuff fill all the corners when packed. Tried it out and came to the same conclusion.

I just finished a thruhike of the AT last month and for more than half the trail I used a very small volume pack (Pa'lante V2 - 31L main bag). Even with that small a pack I could fit my Ridgerunner, torso 50*UG, 40* Burrow TQ, HG Palace tarp, clothes, cook gear and food for up to 4 days. TQ and pillow went in first then the clothes bag (one of the few stuff sacks I used) then hammock with UQ attached. Closed up the nylofume pack liner and the rest went on top of it. Everything stayed dry and I was able to fully utilize the limited volume by letting the soft stuff squish sideways to completely fill the lower half of the pack. No empty corners. Top half wasn't as efficient in using space because of defined shape of the gear (cook kit, food bag, ditty bag, etc.). I did manage to reclaim some of the unused volume there by stuffing my puffy jacket and rain shell into the voids though.

Harlan Hastings
    NPT 2013, AT 2020
    Congrats on your thruhike!

You verbalized with I wanted to say.. but didn't want to type out on my mobile phone...

Press down on the nylofume only as much as is needed. There is no real benefit to having quilts crushed at the bottom of the pack with a ton of empty space at the top of the pack. I used to compress the nylofume until there was no air left, twist the top, tuck it.. etc. Now I just fold the top over and press it down only as much as needed. My frameless packs ride better when the quits expand too.

One potential downside of the nylofume is that if you don't leave the top open loosely, or if you lock it down but still have a little bit of air left in it, you can pretty easily pop the bag when pressing the contents around in a frameless pack. Ask me how I know..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ and TQ 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I am primarily a canoe camper in Minnesota’s Boundary Waters. I use the Sea to Summit Event Compression sacks. Medium size works well for sleeping bags and TQ/UQ sets. These go inside my Sea to Summit Silnylon pack liner so effectively double bagged.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    One thing to keep in mind for folks who go to great lengths to keep quilts bone dry and hermetically sealed is that unless conditions are juuuust right and you have plenty of time in the morning to thoroughly dry out your quilts, there's likely still going to be considerable moisture contained within them due to body water vapor collecting overnight and from dew/condensation.

So when you place them inside any impermeable bag and scrunch them down, you're just locking in that moisture.

I can see why boaters might want to use dry bags — and I've got a big Seal-Line backpack for that purpose. However, for around 10 years now, for backpacking I've just been stuffing them straight into the bottom of the pack and it hasn't made one whit of difference when it comes to quilt dryness (or level of dampness) or stuff getting dirty. It does help that when it's raining I use a poncho that covers the pack.

And it's also true that getting a little water on your quilt isn't the end of the world. A few years back I was sleeping on the ground under a very small tarp with a polycryo ground sheet and my CCF sit pad under the foot end. I didn't realize until the wee hours of the morning that the corner of the CCF pad was sticking out from under the tarp, channeling rain water toward the footbox of my quilt. It was drenched in the morning but I wrung it out, and later that day we (I was with the famous 1azarus ) had a little drying party during a sunny afternoon break and all was right with the world.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234