Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Like others mentioned, consider using the smash-n-go method of just using a plastic pack liner. This allows the quilts to fill up the nooks and crannies in bottom of the pack unlike a stuff sack that mostly retains its own shape. It also deploys and packs up faster.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    If I don't use my SLD hammock catch-all, I have been using a standard Granite Gear compression bag. I recently upgraded to the Granite Gear eVent Sil Compression Drysack to save some weight.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Quote Originally Posted by pnw-rider View Post
    Yeah the 18l looks perfect!

Ill give it a shot thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hope it works well for you!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I can fit both my 20 degree UQ and 26 degree TQ into one Hyperlite Mountain Gear Dyneema pod (35 g). I have a HMG pack so it fits perfectly.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    I can fit both my 20 degree UQ and 26 degree TQ into one Hyperlite Mountain Gear Dyneema pod (35 g). I have a HMG pack so it fits perfectly.
    That’s great to know iceman857. I just bought a Windrider 2400 and have been looking at the pods. I was wondering if the large one would hold both my quilts. Thanks for the info.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks guys !
    I will try try those suggestions.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Hum...bird Pelican
    Insulation
    0-Wooki 20-Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

23-Liter Holds My Whole Sleep System

I use a Granite Gear Air Compressor 23-liter. My Warbonnet Eldorado (11 foot with bugnet), 0°F Wooki underquilt, Hammock Gear 20°F topquilt, and inflatable pillow ALL go in the one stuffsack! I purposely burned a hole in one end and reinforced it so my suspension (continuous loop) passes through. My gear is all one assembly minus the tarp.

It's not difficult to stuff once you know the trick. I stuff my topquilt in first – while it's still contained inside my hammock and bugnet – then I zip the hammock closed with the pillow tethered inside and stuff the rest of the hammock and underquilt in together. The magic happens when it's time to setup camp! I just put my suspension on the trees, attach my continuous loops, and my whole bed is made in one shot. A single puff on my pillow gets it right to where I like it.

I'm not sure how this works with other underquilts, they may have a tendency to tangle; luckily I don't know and don't intend on finding out. ...actually I would love to get a partial underquilt for the summer at some point.

And as someone mentioned above in the thread, the Granite Gear Air Compressor is rectangular, so it fits real nice in my backpack.

If anyone read this far and is interested, I burned the hole using a soldering iron and then used two round air-mattress patches on both sides (inside and outside) of the hole. I made sure the sticky patches stuck to each other. When I find my grommet punch I'm going to install a grommet, but I have some extra Gorilla Tape around it as insurance now. I've got about ten pack&setup cycles on it so far and it's holding up well. It takes some courage to burn a hole in a brand new stuffsack, but I pondered on this for months before finding the stuff sack and confirming the volume calculations and finally going for it. I'm not at all disappointed!

I was using a military sleep system stuffsack before and it has a grommet already in the correct location for this. I had to punch out a screen embedded in the grommet to get my suspension through. That bag weighs 8oz and was too big (it also never got a good shape in my backpack). This rectangular one is slightly smaller and when stuffed has an excellent shape that goes in smooth like butter when carried vertically in the pack. Or if I really want to fill all voids I can compress it tightly and put it in horizontally in my Granite Gear Crown 2 60-liter backpack where it fills the bottom of the pack all the way out leaving well over 2/3 of my pack-space available. I prefer to carry it vertically and lightly compressed so it can be compressed flat against my back using my pack's compression straps.

This compression stuff sack is only 3oz! For comparison, my fancy Warbonnet Wooki stuffsack (super high quality sil-nylon) is 23 grams. And this setup takes the place of three stuff sacks. So for about half an ounce of additional weight I have a very simple deployment of my sleep system. Packing it is no more difficult than stuffing three individual items into three separate stuff sacks. Arguably, this is actually easier! ...i'm not sure how underquilts with traditional suspensions would handle this style of packing – The Wooki is unique. Traditional underquilts may have a tendency to tangle and cause a headache.

My setup comes out perfect every time. I used the military stuffsack for over a year, so although my experience with this particular stuffsack is limited, the concept is proven to work for me. I just have to see how this bag holds up. So far, so good! 👍

Pictured: Granite Gear 23-Liter Air Compressor Stuffed with Hammock, TopQuilt, UnderQuilt, and Pillow (lightly compressed)
    409F8876-E48D-4417-BAFA-FD28D46BAD6D.jpeg
    Mosquitos suck and the wind blows!

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Heavy duty lawn and leaf bag for backpacking and a Sea to Summit Event Compression sack for Motorcycle and kayak camping. The smallest event fits my 20 degree setup.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    No stuff sacks here. Have you tried just sticking the quilts into the bottom of your pack and piling the heavier stuff on top of them? Often times the heavier stuff will compress the quilts down quite well and it saves you the extra weight of putting each thing in an individual stuff sack. It sounds counterintuitive, I know, but it actually works. If you are concerned about moisture, you can use a contractor bag as a pack liner.
    Totally agree. Additional advantages is that the quilt(s) only get as compressed as they need to be, which is good for the quilt(s); you avoid the weight penalty of the compression sacks, which can be 1-2 oz each.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    No stuff sacks here. All of my "keep dry" gear goes into a nylofume bag in the bottom of my pack. Those can be purchased here for cheap: https://www.litesmith.com/nylofume-pack-liner-bags/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast