Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Thanks all for the feedback! Sounds like, as is usually the case, some additional practice is in order. My TQ is a standard width. I’ll consider the wide next time.

I think I need to do a few more cold nights in the backyard where I can learn to trust the system but have the option to bail if needed. I hadn’t given too much thought to what I wear to sleep but will give that some extra scrutiny as well. I do notice Shug being bundled really well in his various cold weather videos.

Thanks again for the insightful feedback!
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
    Thanks all for the feedback! Sounds like, as is usually the case, some additional practice is in order. My TQ is a standard width. I’ll consider the wide next time.

I think I need to do a few more cold nights in the backyard where I can learn to trust the system but have the option to bail if needed. I hadn’t given too much thought to what I wear to sleep but will give that some extra scrutiny as well. I do notice Shug being bundled really well in his various cold weather videos.

Thanks again for the insightful feedback!
    I add my clothing during the night as I get up to pee.
    When crawling in I take off layers. Then when I get up...I add my orage jacket around 4 or 5 am. That way I am ready for "breakfast from the hammock."
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ and TQ 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I was getting cold shoulders the first couple times I used a TQ and UQ systems with my BB XLC on cold evenings. I found two causes. First was the UQ getting out of position when I climbed into the hammock. I now slide open tbe zippers, reach under for the UQ and give it a gentle tug to ensure its aligned correctly once I am in the hammock. Second I underappreciated the value of the closures at the top of the TQ. If expecting cold temps I snap or tie them closed, stick my head through the hole and that keeps the TQ around my shoulders nicely.

After that its all about layers of clothing to fit the expected temps as others have covered well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
    Clean dry thermals and socks for me plus down puffy coat and hood. It works but I was surprised how easy it was to create a gap and have cold enter!

Is it the consensus that a bag is warmer but heavier or I’m just not “good at” the Tq yet?
    It is my opinion that a bag is warmer, at least unless all is perfect in quilt world. There is just a lot more to go wrong. In my early days, when I was trying to use my sleeping bag as a TQ, I often would not be warm enough, give up and get in the bag with hood, zip up and within a few minutes be toasty warm. What really surprised me was that- at least with a synthetic bag- even my back would be noticeably warmer.

However, as time went on I seemed to learn to sleep while avoiding drafts, which I think was 75% of my problem. It is so dang easy to lift up an edge in a TQ and a bunch of warm air escapes and cold air comes flooding in. But, once I got an actual TQ, with no hood in the way, and that I could snap and "seal" around my neck, that made it much easier to avoid drafts around my neck/shoulder. Plus, once I got a separate JRB hood to replace the missing insulation from the hood on my bag(that is huge IMO), I now can almost always sleep just as warm in in a 25F rated TQ/UQ as in a 25F rated sleeping bag. The gaps and drafts are an ever present danger, but they never seem to happen to me anymore. I guess I somehow just learned to deal with it, even in my sleep.

My all time fav was my Speer Pea Pod(no longer available), which in my opinion had all the comfort and convenience of a TQ/UQ combo, without any of the potential drawbacks. Like drafts. It was just as draft free as any mummy bag, plus my head was well insulated without needing a separate hood. I could move any way I wanted without worrying about any drafts whatsoever. Shug has used his DIY brand of pods toasty toasty warm and draft free even at minus 40F. So, for gathered end hammocks, that pod was my fav and most guaranteed warm at or above it's rated temps, but since I have stupidly sold it, I have done good enough with my regular UQs/TQs, or pads and TQs.

The only 2 problems with a bag is that most of the insulation under you is considered wasted, since you compress that insulation with your body weight. So, that is going to be a significant amount of mostly wasted insulation and weight/bulk. (Irrelevant for a car or backyard camper, but pretty important for a gram counting UL backpacker) But, the main issue is comfort and convenience in a hammock. TQs are just so much more pleasant and easy to use IN A HAMMOCK, than is a sleeping bag. But, once you manage to get settled in them, a bag is so much ore bombproof when it comes to a draft anywhere from knees to shoulders and neck. If I can avoid those drafts, and keep my head warm enough, the quilt is every bit as warm and much more convenient. If not, the bag rules for warmth compared to anything other than a pod, and then it is a tie. There will be no drafts once zipped up inside a mummy bag(or closed up in a pod).

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Billy bob,

Thanks for the feedback. You basically have confirmed my thoughts on the subject. It is worth the weight reduction to me to get better at the TQ so I’ll work on it but the bag is, as you note, more bomb proof at least to the neophyte. My issue is definitely with the TQ. I’m good with reaching out both sides of my hammock to get the UQ “right”.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I've found thick socks make a bigger difference than I'd ever considered. 2 nights same temp (low 30s), first night thin socks (I wasn't really cold, but not warm, woke up to pee 3 times). Second night I had thick socks on and slept soundly all night long. I've never woke up thinking "my feet are cold", but I've been on the cold side. With thick socks I just don't wake up.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    There is nothing wrong with getting whatever you need to get for you to stay warm
    Wear a warm hat and warm socks. Maybe a down hood-hat, a wool toboggan that is large enough to cover back of neck. Or a fleece hat that covers head, part of face, and neck.
    Maybe wool socks that are oversized and not constricting. If they are tight, your circulation is impaired. Down booties might work—if not too tight elastic at top.

Get a zero* set of quilts. Order them both long and wide.
    Wear layers, and if too hot, remove some layers

Avoid busting a sweat-this can make you cold all night-or until clothing has dried or swapped for dry clothing

Sometimes if below twenty degrees at night, I use both a zero* set and a 20* set —stacked

I hope this will help

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12