Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bridge Hammock to Gathered End

All,

I have a Ridgerunner that I love. Have done everything possible to lighten it including Ruta Lacora Carbon Fiber poles, Shortened Dog Bones, etc. but I am trying to go lighter. I am hesitant but considering a gathered end hammock. I am looking at 3 different hammocks all in MTN 1.2/1.3. FYI I am 5'8 and 215lbs. The choices are as follows:

Dream Hammock
    Darien 11' x 60"

Trailheadz
    Banshee 11' x 65"

Autmn Ultralight
    Jumiper 11' x 63"

I don't think the width will make a difference so the Darien would be the lightest but for some reason I am gravitating to the looks and a few features of the Juniper. I couldn't find a lot of reviews on the Juniper or direct comparisons between these. I did note that the Darien is Asymmetrical and believe the other 2 are Symmetrical. Would the Darien give me a flatter lay? As far as I can tell they are all respected vendors in the community.

What am I missing? Help me decide! Thanks

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    How about a lighter bridge? Happy Medium

The Happy Medium is available in a 1.7 (about 17 ounces) or a 1.2 (about 14 ounces) and includes carbon fiber poles, ARL, and the quilt accessories in that number.
    Fits under a 10' tarp, you could use your head net, a partial net, or the net I build (about 8.5 ounces and fully removable).
    They run $300 plus $50 for a bugnet... though at the moment you'll be looking at a decent lead time.
    For reference- I'm 5'10" and about 230lbs in the pictures in the 1.7 version. You could go 1.2 fabric at your weight with an eventual trade off in durability, but generally for a nice balance of longevity I suggest under 200lbs with the lighter version.

I will likely be doing an even lighter bridge this spring (end bar version) that runs in the 12 ounce range including the spreader bars. I'm long term testing the Hybrid 1.2 version and so far it's doing well.

Just a thought if you like the bridges... otherwise can't say a bad thing about any of those three vendors you mentioned as they all do great work in general. Others would need to help you better than I on the specifics, but if you did want to push a bit further the monolite 1.0 fabrics are pretty nice on the scale even if they are not as high on durability. Hybrid 1.2 would hold up well for you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

The Happy Medium is available in a 1.7 (about 17 ounces) or a 1.2 (about 14 ounces) and includes carbon fiber poles, ARL, and the quilt accessories in that number.
    Fits under a 10' tarp, you could use your head net, a partial net, or the net I build (about 8.5 ounces and fully removable).
    They run $300 plus $50 for a bugnet... though at the moment you'll be looking at a decent lead time.
    For reference- I'm 5'10" and about 230lbs in the pictures in the 1.7 version. You could go 1.2 fabric at your weight with an eventual trade off in durability, but generally for a nice balance of longevity I suggest under 200lbs with the lighter version.

I will likely be doing an even lighter bridge this spring (end bar version) that runs in the 12 ounce range including the spreader bars. I'm long term testing the Hybrid 1.2 version and so far it's doing well.

Just a thought if you like the bridges... otherwise can't say a bad thing about any of those three vendors you mentioned as they all do great work in general. Others would need to help you better than I on the specifics, but if you did want to push a bit further the monolite 1.0 fabrics are pretty nice on the scale even if they are not as high on durability. Hybrid 1.2 would hold up well for you though.
    Bill I have looked at your hammocks extensively. They were definitely a consideration. I was ready to contact you about making one for me but the only thing holding me back is the lack of integrated bug net. Living in the NE bugs are pretty much a constant from May to October. Could I commission a one off Happy Medium with integrated bugnet for the right price? I know there may be some engineering issues that prevented you from doing this but would be willing to be a guinea pig. Will the end bar version have an integrated bugnet? Even thought about making my own based off the Grizz information but do not think I have the sewing skills. Seen some monolite 1.0 failures online in gathered ends and know that I would be pushing the weight limit. 215 Is my in shape hiking weight but not always there when going out with my sons Scout troop

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just Bill - Please be sure to the the forum members know when you have a new model in your selections.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Just Bill - Please be sure to the the forum members know when you have a new model in your selections.
    I still think the Happy Medium is a good fit for what you were looking for... but I've still got you on the list to reach out when this next one eventually gets going... 2020's been fun

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Rjrram View Post
    Bill I have looked at your hammocks extensively. They were definitely a consideration. I was ready to contact you about making one for me but the only thing holding me back is the lack of integrated bug net. Living in the NE bugs are pretty much a constant from May to October. Could I commission a one off Happy Medium with integrated bugnet for the right price? I know there may be some engineering issues that prevented you from doing this but would be willing to be a guinea pig. Will the end bar version have an integrated bugnet? Even thought about making my own based off the Grizz information but do not think I have the sewing skills. Seen some monolite 1.0 failures online in gathered ends and know that I would be pushing the weight limit. 215 Is my in shape hiking weight but not always there when going out with my sons Scout troop
    4+8+8=20
    20x6g per foot= 120g
    120/28.5= 4.25 ounces for #5 zipper coil. #3 just won't hold up well and #8 is overkill.
    Figure an ounce or two for detailing things out and you're looking at 5-6 ounces just to add a zipper in a similar fashion to the net on the RR that stows away... more for a Banyon style removable top before you even count the netting.
    So now you're taking one of the lightest full sized hammocks around and adding quite a bit of weight to it while losing some function overall. If you go with a rainbow door. entry on one side.. you can trim some zipper but now you're locked into one side entry. Not the worst thing on the symmetrical Happy Medium design, but a bigger deal on the Luxury or Big Guy. It offers some interesting options in terms of storage to do that type of door... but now feature creep drives up the weight/cost further there too. You may lose a little function in terms of being able to use different quilts, roll over an piss, and more easily lounge or cook from the hammock.

One big bridge advantage for backpacking (In my opinon) is versatility. If you use a pad... you can easily go to ground when desired or required. The current bugnet allows you to set it up as quick 'net tent' style piece either on it's own or in conjunction with your tarp. So in effect- as a 'set' of gear a good bridge system functions more like a nice ground setup with the option to hang, rather than the other way around. That's what got me started with bridges. With four pieces of gear (tarp, pad, net, bridge) you have a kit that can be used for a variety of trips/conditions. Add an underquilt and you can opt for maximum luxury. If that is a quick weekend- you can pick or choose what fits. If that is a long distance hike- you can sleep well in the trees, cowboy camp on a mountain view, tarp camp in a meadow, sleep on a shelter floor, or hide in the bushes at the Post office waiting for a mail drop. So besides 'on the trail' function... being able to leave a piece of kit on the shelf at home is nice. While I get the detachable concept of something like the banyon... even when you leave the net at home you still have to carry half the zipper and the extras required to attach it. When you leave my current net at home you leave 100% of it there.

That's sorta where I personally get stuck with the integrated net idea overall. A personal failing perhaps... but I have a hard time designing something I don't believe in very strongly. Or my opinion is simply too strongly held,

Zippers have a relatively high failure rate or at least add failure point- that bugs me a hair if I'm honest. One thing many folks fail to talk about when they claim their hammock can 'go to ground' is that you are taking your hammock and using it on the ground. So dirt, debris, etc are now getting into your zippers and you are grinding your load bearing fabric into those same dirt and debris which will wear things out faster. It's not a tent floor fabric and if you get a few pinholes in your hammock... a dab of seam sealer won't hold up under load when you go back to the air. The alternative is building a tank of a 'hammock' with fabric you don't really want and weight you don't want to carry just for the parlor trick of pitching it in 'tent mode'.

While I suppose is up to the customer... the likelyhood of heading into the $400-$500 range on cost is another issue in my opinion at least.
    Yar- twist it around and think of it as a 'shelter' rather than a hammock and it's not a completely unreasonable pricepoint... but for many it does seem that way.

You're not the only person looking for an integrated net, but you're also not the only one who lives in pretty rough bug country who was skeptical of the bottom entry net either. By the nature of this forum's user base, most of my customers are in the south east. But with rare exception (one return) and a few folks who are holding off- the current net does the job for many. OR perhaps more accurately it's just that the other options don't do the job well enough and folks are willing to compromise on the net to get the bridge that works better for them.

So... still a tough one for me. I do think about it more often than I should... and the design challenge interests me.
    Eventually I think it will happen if I can sort it out in a way that makes sense to me as a backpacker. The recessed spreader bar presents some challenges for designer and user alike as well.

Ultimately at the moment it may simply be my limited production ability that is keeping it off the market if I'm totally blunt. Offering the different models (vs one model in a few flavors) is tough to keep up with as it is for me doing this part time.

I see my stuff as backpacking focused. Even the Big Guy is a reasonable piece of backpacking gear and meant to be used that way.
    If you're talking pure car camping... an Aerobed is $100. While not sexy... it does the job.
    If you're talking home sleepers who really need the support of my bridges... the bridge functions best without the net in the way.
    If you're talking UL backpacking... the head net you have for an ounce is ideal.

But I do get it. Always up for talking about it and always thinking about it.
    There is a subset of folks who just really like having their 'house' as Colin Fletcher first put it. I know many a camper who would never cowboy camp, many who would never tarp, and many who would never consider anything but a solid double wall tent. For many hammocks have evolved to mean a fully enclosed shelter. Going netless is a unthinkable as going 'topless' Not spilling stuff onto the ground is a challenge for some as well. We all have 'something' we have strong feelings about in regards to gear and this is no exception.

One option pushed off due to this lovely year; is a fully enclosed version of my current net with a rainbow door on the side. I've discussed this with two Floridians and a few others to get some feedback. Probably do a Membrane 10 type fabric along the bottom. I am not a believer in 'socks' so while familiar with them I don't have a ton of personal experience. But this type of item seems like a decent 'meet in the middle' choice. The Membrane 10 bottom would give you underquilt protection from wind and splash and the fully enclosed space would resolve the worst bug issues. Most importantly to me... it fits in with my design philosophy overall. It could be left at home, doesn't interfere with the recessed bars, quilts or other features and would function well or even better when going to ground. It would likely come out close to the same weight and packsize while offering some improvements. About the only big thing you loose is the roll over to pee feature. It would run a little more expensive perhaps due to the cost of the M10 fabric... but it wouldn't be the same wallet crushing ding as a a fully integrated net.

That newer model I'm debating is the better entry point for me to sort out a net since it is an end bar.
    So at this point likely that one would be the first model to see an integrated net before any of the current models. I'm thinking a zipperless entry for that one or a nike swoosh type door.

I'd also like to do more with an 'all-in one' air bivy type bridge design I have done for some FKT stuff. The only real downside with those is a wet tarp being packed up with the hammock. Not a big deal when paired with a pad... but not much fun to lay down on a bit of dampness if you go without the pad. And while this would run up there too in cost... it wouldn't be too crazy.

I've got a few gathered end designs I'd like to explore too, lol. Too many ideas, Too little time.

Anyway- rambling away. Sorry to derail the thread and continued luck with the search for perfection!

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch

Bill,
    pretty sure your hammock wouldn't work for me in the same way a ridgerunner doesn't but figured it doesn't hurt to ask. I love the concept/design of a bridge. What I don't love is side sleeping/fetal in a bridge. My knees end up (painfully) on top of the stiff edge. I can make it a little better with a pad to spread it out a bit, but still...

Since I'm here, have you tried the happy medium under a 11' warbonnet Thunderfly?

Cheers

Ok Just Bill,

You have me pretty much convinced that the Happy Medium is the way to go. I just watched some more videos of a Fronky style bugnet and does not seem like a deal breaker at this point if everything else is ok. My last question is is does the Happy medium have less shoulder squeeze than my current Ridge Runner?

4+8+8=20
    20x6g per foot= 120g
    120/28.5= 4.25 ounces for #5 zipper coil. #3 just won't hold up well and #8 is overkill.
    Figure an ounce or two for detailing things out and you're looking at 5-6 ounces just to add a zipper in a similar fashion to the net on the RR that stows away... more for a Banyon style removable top before you even count the netting.
    So now you're taking one of the lightest full sized hammocks around and adding quite a bit of weight to it while losing some function overall. If you go with a rainbow door. entry on one side.. you can trim some zipper but now you're locked into one side entry. Not the worst thing on the symmetrical Happy Medium design, but a bigger deal on the Luxury or Big Guy. It offers some interesting options in terms of storage to do that type of door... but now feature creep drives up the weight/cost further there too. You may lose a little function in terms of being able to use different quilts, roll over an piss, and more easily lounge or cook from the hammock.

One big bridge advantage for backpacking (In my opinon) is versatility. If you use a pad... you can easily go to ground when desired or required. The current bugnet allows you to set it up as quick 'net tent' style piece either on it's own or in conjunction with your tarp. So in effect- as a 'set' of gear a good bridge system functions more like a nice ground setup with the option to hang, rather than the other way around. That's what got me started with bridges. With four pieces of gear (tarp, pad, net, bridge) you have a kit that can be used for a variety of trips/conditions. Add an underquilt and you can opt for maximum luxury. If that is a quick weekend- you can pick or choose what fits. If that is a long distance hike- you can sleep well in the trees, cowboy camp on a mountain view, tarp camp in a meadow, sleep on a shelter floor, or hide in the bushes at the Post office waiting for a mail drop. So besides 'on the trail' function... being able to leave a piece of kit on the shelf at home is nice. While I get the detachable concept of something like the banyon... even when you leave the net at home you still have to carry half the zipper and the extras required to attach it. When you leave my current net at home you leave 100% of it there.

That's sorta where I personally get stuck with the integrated net idea overall. A personal failing perhaps... but I have a hard time designing something I don't believe in very strongly. Or my opinion is simply too strongly held,

Zippers have a relatively high failure rate or at least add failure point- that bugs me a hair if I'm honest. One thing many folks fail to talk about when they claim their hammock can 'go to ground' is that you are taking your hammock and using it on the ground. So dirt, debris, etc are now getting into your zippers and you are grinding your load bearing fabric into those same dirt and debris which will wear things out faster. It's not a tent floor fabric and if you get a few pinholes in your hammock... a dab of seam sealer won't hold up under load when you go back to the air. The alternative is building a tank of a 'hammock' with fabric you don't really want and weight you don't want to carry just for the parlor trick of pitching it in 'tent mode'.

While I suppose is up to the customer... the likelyhood of heading into the $400-$500 range on cost is another issue in my opinion at least.
    Yar- twist it around and think of it as a 'shelter' rather than a hammock and it's not a completely unreasonable pricepoint... but for many it does seem that way.

You're not the only person looking for an integrated net, but you're also not the only one who lives in pretty rough bug country who was skeptical of the bottom entry net either. By the nature of this forum's user base, most of my customers are in the south east. But with rare exception (one return) and a few folks who are holding off- the current net does the job for many. OR perhaps more accurately it's just that the other options don't do the job well enough and folks are willing to compromise on the net to get the bridge that works better for them.

So... still a tough one for me. I do think about it more often than I should... and the design challenge interests me.
    Eventually I think it will happen if I can sort it out in a way that makes sense to me as a backpacker. The recessed spreader bar presents some challenges for designer and user alike as well.

Ultimately at the moment it may simply be my limited production ability that is keeping it off the market if I'm totally blunt. Offering the different models (vs one model in a few flavors) is tough to keep up with as it is for me doing this part time.

I see my stuff as backpacking focused. Even the Big Guy is a reasonable piece of backpacking gear and meant to be used that way.
    If you're talking pure car camping... an Aerobed is $100. While not sexy... it does the job.
    If you're talking home sleepers who really need the support of my bridges... the bridge functions best without the net in the way.
    If you're talking UL backpacking... the head net you have for an ounce is ideal.

But I do get it. Always up for talking about it and always thinking about it.
    There is a subset of folks who just really like having their 'house' as Colin Fletcher first put it. I know many a camper who would never cowboy camp, many who would never tarp, and many who would never consider anything but a solid double wall tent. For many hammocks have evolved to mean a fully enclosed shelter. Going netless is a unthinkable as going 'topless' Not spilling stuff onto the ground is a challenge for some as well. We all have 'something' we have strong feelings about in regards to gear and this is no exception.

One option pushed off due to this lovely year; is a fully enclosed version of my current net with a rainbow door on the side. I've discussed this with two Floridians and a few others to get some feedback. Probably do a Membrane 10 type fabric along the bottom. I am not a believer in 'socks' so while familiar with them I don't have a ton of personal experience. But this type of item seems like a decent 'meet in the middle' choice. The Membrane 10 bottom would give you underquilt protection from wind and splash and the fully enclosed space would resolve the worst bug issues. Most importantly to me... it fits in with my design philosophy overall. It could be left at home, doesn't interfere with the recessed bars, quilts or other features and would function well or even better when going to ground. It would likely come out close to the same weight and packsize while offering some improvements. About the only big thing you loose is the roll over to pee feature. It would run a little more expensive perhaps due to the cost of the M10 fabric... but it wouldn't be the same wallet crushing ding as a a fully integrated net.

That newer model I'm debating is the better entry point for me to sort out a net since it is an end bar.
    So at this point likely that one would be the first model to see an integrated net before any of the current models. I'm thinking a zipperless entry for that one or a nike swoosh type door.

I'd also like to do more with an 'all-in one' air bivy type bridge design I have done for some FKT stuff. The only real downside with those is a wet tarp being packed up with the hammock. Not a big deal when paired with a pad... but not much fun to lay down on a bit of dampness if you go without the pad. And while this would run up there too in cost... it wouldn't be too crazy.

I've got a few gathered end designs I'd like to explore too, lol. Too many ideas, Too little time.

Anyway- rambling away. Sorry to derail the thread and continued luck with the search for perfection!

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Rjrram View Post
    Ok Just Bill,

You have me pretty much convinced that the Happy Medium is the way to go. I just watched some more videos of a Fronky style bugnet and does not seem like a deal breaker at this point if everything else is ok. My last question is is does the Happy medium have less shoulder squeeze than my current Ridge Runner?
    Well that wasn't my intention... that was a discussion more than a sales pitch but I suppose it can be hard to tell the difference at times

The short answer- Yes. Though likely you'd prefer to hear it from other folks who use both models in part it is the design itself and not my personal bias.
    For the record- a piece of gear can't solve a problem you don't have. So for the RR fan who has no shoulder squeeze waiting to chime in... if your shoulders do not feel squeezed (you have no problem) then my bridge will not solve your non-problem and not squeeze them any less.

Well I'll add these for you both and answer Jim more directly next - Bill in RR

Some more of the older Happy Medium pictures also showing the bugnet

Anywho for the longer answer- another project I haven't gotten to was to better show the Happy Medium (and all my bridges) compared to other bridges. I have plans to take the same sets of pictures with the same person... and then put them side by side to provide a better answer to questions like you and Jim have.

Full disclosure- I got a RR during the 2019 thanksgiving sale so I had one. It was the first one I owned. I had a chance to try one at a group hang several years earlier and knew it was not for me... but I eventually picked one up so I had one to help folks out with comparison. I am not able to sleep in the RR without a pad and while I followed my own advice and gave it a dozen nights, I never warmed up to it. Point being- I have some obvious bias as a guy who builds different bridges and didn't personally like the design.

That said- the issue for me is the design only. I have said many times that one thing I really admire about Brandon is that his stuff is generally uniquely his design.
    The BMBH is the first bridge, but it had some things some people don't like. Mainly that it feels deep, narrow, and lacks visibility. Now some folks love these features... some don't.
    The Ridgerunner came along to address some of these problems. The main thing being using a wider head bar and a narrower foot bar. The saddlebags and bugnet turned the 'coffin' into a more open shelter.

Both bridges are end bar bridges. Both bridges are fairly similar in size. One has symmetrical spreader bars, the other does not.

The three chief complaints I hear are:
    1- The RR isn't built for those over 250lbs (more accurately 225 ish). Brandon is not a big fella, lol. The RR is a great 'one size fits most' design.
    2- I like the RR but I don't like getting 'bit'. Rolled webbing edge bridges are known for their bite. This isn't RR specific- it happens on the Hiker Dad and the ones I built.
    3- Shoulder squeeze issues

The Happy Medium isn't built for those over 250, neither is the RR... just is what it is. Brandon would need to design a whole new model, much like I did.

Here is how the next two issues combine:

Using the wider head bar and narrower foot bar does indeed 'pop you out of the coffin'
    The wide head bar stretches the fabric at that end out- reducing shoulder squeeze.
    The narrow foot bar stabilizes the design and creates a deep V shape.
    This also turns the bedspace into a wedge from head to foot, with the head end elevated if you hung the bridge dead level.

This fairly extreme transition occurs over the length of your roughly 6' long bedspace. And the spreaders are at the ends- so the widest part of the bridge is outside the bedspace.
    So the 'wide' head end narrows fairly rapidly and because of the overall bedshape... many will slide down the bridge a little as they sleep.
    As a result- when you lay down and your arms are over your head relaxing... all feels good with the world.
    But as you sleep and move a little (and/or the fabric relaxes a little) then you shift position slightly and the only direction you can go is to a narrower portion of the bridge.

Simply put- it's a funnel. Some folks don't slide, some folks aren't quite big enough, or have just the right size body. I will say roughly the same thing I usually say... take a good look at Brandon. If you're about Brandon's size, you're likely to find the RR about right.

In a recessed bar bridge- you are doing two things:
    1- You are moving the spreader bar so that it is over the bedspace. This means that the widest portion of the bridge is where you need it.
    2- Since the bar is now inside the bedspace.... the highpoints are in two directions now and can be balanced better.

Simply put- it's an hourglass shape. It doesn't funnel you in either direction and is more balanced in shape overall.
    So besides the extra width where you need it- you're less likely to migrate during the night.

There is always a tradeoff- with the recessed bar design the bar is of course- recessed. Which simply means it is over your body and within your bedspace. You might bump into it sometime, and you'll have to get used to it being there. It does seriously freak some people out. For those with stiffer nerve, it is still nerve racking to start. After a dozen or so nights most get used to it... everyonce in a while someone doesn't. To quote the great grizz 'Professor Hammock' hisself- 'There is no free lunch'.

If that is too messy- I apologize. My goal is to be objective and better explain why.

This is more like discussing shoes than other products. The pattern a shoe maker uses is called a 'last'. If the shape of the last they use is similar to your feet... you'll love the shoes. If not... you'll never like them. It has nothing to do with the shoemaker's craft, ability, or skill.

Brandon makes a Nike, I make a New Balance. Neither is better- they either fit you or they don't.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Bill,
    pretty sure your hammock wouldn't work for me in the same way a ridgerunner doesn't but figured it doesn't hurt to ask. I love the concept/design of a bridge. What I don't love is side sleeping/fetal in a bridge. My knees end up (painfully) on top of the stiff edge. I can make it a little better with a pad to spread it out a bit, but still...

Since I'm here, have you tried the happy medium under a 11' warbonnet Thunderfly?

Cheers
    Jim-
    You'll see my longer answer above but on this specific issue...

The short answer again is- yes the Happy Medium would be better for knee bite.
    The 'funnel' issue is the primary reason for 'knee bite'. The narrow foot bar creates a fairly deep 'V' which is hard to 'climb out of' for you knees. With a 29 ish inch end bar and a 24" ish inch spread from heel to knee- you are wider than the bridge at that location so as you go closer to fetal- you are more likely to get bit. The shorter you are- the less likely to have this issue- the taller you are- the more likely.

It's just proportions... The Happy Medium uses matching 36" spreader bars... so in full fetal you have a 36" bar over your 24" knees (roughly) vs 29ish spreader past your heels narrowing to roughly 22" at your waist.

I posted the pictures of me in the RR, but realize I have not done a good job duplicating all the poses. But in the same way the recessed bar helps in the shoulders- it helps in the knees.
    If you look at the Happy Medium Pictures- the brighter Olive Yellow edge trim is the 'channel' part of the 'Amsteel in channel' suspension. You can see I am in multiple positions from semi-side to full fetal. With some distance to spare from the sides.

I find the amsteel in channel design much less 'bitey' than rolled webbing. My newest design uses something I call 'soft edge' suspension but as I might patent it... I don't show it much.
    So in regards to bite (regardless of design)-
    The ideal situation is a bridge big enough it doesn't come up.
    After that- rolled webbing is the worst. Amsteel in Channel is better, the soft edge design is the best.

And regardless of design- it is still an edge under load.

That said- I personally find I can sleep with my back/butt on the edge of a bridge generally- but not my knees or elbows for long. Though on the soft edge I do contact it with no issues.
    If it makes sense- my bridge designs tend to form a shallow draft canoe type shape... so you can lay on your side and rest your back against the edge with even more room for your knees. Much like you might sleep on a sofa.

A large part of this is simply the use of Amsteel in channel vs rolled web edges. This design choice allows the fabric to deform and conform better to more extreme positions.
    For example- when I build a soft edge version of the Happy Medium- I find this choice limits my freedom somewhat in terms of sleep positions.

Long story short- if there is no rush...
    The upcoming prototype might solve your knee bite issue without getting into a Happy Medium as well.

On the tarp- That RR is the only warbonnet item I personally have. But I know others have used those tarps with these bridges. The Happy Medium has a 10' RL, so should play nice with any 11' tarp. Peppy might have put some pictures up at one point..

No big secret- but I'm not a 'normal' hanger. Or I'm normal in that I am abnormal like all of you
    But I simply mean that I was already making gear and thought I'd try this hammock thing. I made all my own stuff from the start. I only started learning more about other designs as I started going to group hangs and/or selling stuff. When I started selling stuff I started buying other vendor's stuff to help customers. Does the hammock gear incubator work? Dunno- better buy one. Tarps are pretty straightforward so most of my buying has been quilts. I'm kinda a weirdo about tarps in general though so take my advice on them with a grain of salt. I prefer stakeless designs and don't like drumtight pitches or mind a little rattling in the breeze.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 12-27-2020 at 11:01.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast