Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have the current generation 0 degree Outdoor Vitals Aerie 5-in-1 UQ/mummypod/bag/quilt. I agree that it doesn’t look or feel premium and I had similar concerns as you when I first got it.
    However, after using it outside as a mummypod and as a UQ with a regular bag as a top quilt, I have found that it is very warm and I have been pleasantly surprised at its performance and versatility.
    So before you get too down about it, I’d recommend giving it a shot, you too may be surprised. I have gone down to 30 degrees easily in it and been toasty warm all night; it hasn’t gotten colder here yet but I can’t wait to test it down to its limit.
    Good luck with it and happy hammocking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!
    Just wanted to update- I camped out one night last week in my parents yard with the down under quilt & synthetic top quilt (in Mississippi for context). After drying with tennis balls and migrating the down as best as I could figure, the under quilt still has several super thin areas but top quilt was mostly fine after that. The thing about the top quilt is that it is MASSIVE in the stuff sack, like a foot tall, but it did keep me warm. Still not sure about the under quilt, this was my first attempt using one but it seemed like I set it up correctly, pretty snug against the hammock. It got down to ~32 degrees and my butt did get a little chilly but I survived the night mostly comfortable.

The under quilt was $205 and top quilt was $170. I just don't have anything to compare to so I don't know if I should ask them to add more down to the under quilt or try to return it or just stop complaining and be happy with it. I think the top quilt is more than adequate for my current needs though, glad I got to test them out before going back home (I have no trees)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by sangfroid3 View Post
    The under quilt was $205 and top quilt was $170. I just don't have anything to compare to so I don't know if I should ask them to add more down to the under quilt or try to return it or just stop complaining and be happy with it. I think the top quilt is more than adequate for my current needs though, glad I got to test them out before going back home (I have no trees)
    which underquilt did you get the stormloft or the lofttech hybrid?

for $6 less (not including shipping) you can get a 10° economy standard length HG incubator (or a 20° economy standard length HG incubator for $179.99 plus shipping) they both use 850fp instead if 800fp that outdoor vitals uses, I think I would return it and order the incubator: https://hammockgear.com/economy-incubator-custom/
    Last edited by soul embrace; 12-29-2020 at 21:56.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Images
    Ok I didn't post them right the first time so... second try
    Well it's currently looking to be about 1.5" thick max... New issue- Tried attaching it and had to stretch it to maximum length to attach to other end. It is so tight that it pulls the hammock up to be straight across. I guess I could buy longer cord to string thrugh but seems kinda unreasonable? This is on a regular length chameleon and I can't think of any other way you could attach this thing.
    Just wanted to update- I camped out one night last week in my parents yard with the down under quilt & synthetic top quilt (in Mississippi for context). After drying with tennis balls and migrating the down as best as I could figure, the under quilt still has several super thin areas but top quilt was mostly fine after that. The thing about the top quilt is that it is MASSIVE in the stuff sack, like a foot tall, but it did keep me warm. Still not sure about the under quilt, this was my first attempt using one but it seemed like I set it up correctly, pretty snug against the hammock. It got down to ~32 degrees and my butt did get a little chilly but I survived the night mostly comfortable.

Sangfroid, sorry to hear about your problems. I would like to say:
    !: I have seen apparently thin spots like you show in your pics in some high quality, well respected and popular quilts, particularly when over fill is not paid for, or if down is pushed more to one end than the other.

2: Remember, though there are some advantages to a denser fill, it is not the down but the trapped dead air that insulates. A 2" loft quilt obtained with 900 FP down without over fill is- in my experience- going to appear thinner( i.e. appear to have less down) when held up to the light than 800 and for sure 700FP down that have 2" loft. Think about it: the higher fill power- for a given thickness, has less down(by weight) in the chamber! That is why the more expensive, higher FP quilt costs more, because it achieves the same thickness with less down. If there is less down by weight, than what must there be more of in a chamber of a given thickness? Air!

3: Most of these quilts have baffles that only limit the down moving in one direction, that is from one chamber to the chamber next to it. But that chamber can be quite long, especially if the baffles run head to foot. So, a common problem is to much of the given weight of down getting scooted to one end of the baffle, leaving too little down in the other end. Time in the dryer(as I think you have done) with tennis balls can get that down moved around to all areas. Also, you can usually scoot the down around a bit by hand if it seems that not enough down is in one area.

4: How have you measured the loft? The pictures where it is hanging it looks reasonably thick to me. Lay the quilt out flat after shaking it out nicely, try to have the down equally distributed thru out the quilt, let it sit a while, then take 1 ruler and push one end straight down vertically until firmly contacting the floor. Then, very gently, lower another ruler or stick or piece of paper down at a 90º angle to the vertical ruler, and BARELY TOUCH the highest point on the quilt. Do not compress it even .1". That is your loft.

5: Does your quilt weigh at least as much as it is supposed to/specified by the manufacturer to? If so, it probably has as much down as it is supposed to have, though not guaranteed of course. It could just be the shell materials are heavier than they were supposed to be. But if it is not under the specified weight, that is a good sign.

6: Do not be at all concerned about that "~32 degrees and my butt did get a little chilly" business. There have been large numbers of people who have had a cold butt and/or back at 32F with a 20F UQ of the highest quality. And it is a goos sign that the TQ was plenty warm, which increases the odds that the UQ is also up to snuff. You should believe me when I tell you that dialing in an UQ for optimum performance is seriously tricky business. I bet there are WAY over 50 threads here with people having that same problem- or worse- with the highest quality UQs, especially when getting used to using them. Best thing to do is- until you figure out if your UQ is defective(or not) or until you figure how to hang it JUST right- just get a 12" square of Walmart blue pad or whatever closed cell foam you have handy, and place it under your butt. Problem solved. You don't even have to put it there until your butt gets cold. Or, just for something to experiment with which- for me anyway- gives 15 to 20 degree boosts, just get a cheap (few $), 2 - 3 oz space blanket from WM(DON"T get a heavy one)- or pay $5 for a nicer, quieter one from SOL, and place it between your hammock and UQ, full length. If you don't like it, you have not lost much, just don't use it again. But if you are like me, you might find you have a warm backside at 25 or 20F. Or, if you decide the UQ is as good as advertized and you become exper at hanging it, you might not need any of these problem solvers.

7: If the suspension seems too tight, then just take a thin piece of rope and add an extender, with the cord attached to the foot end, running about a foot or whatever is needed, towards the head end. Then just attach the foot end suspension of the UQ to that cord, rather than directly to the hammock. I have had to do this ore than once in the old days trying to use an UQ designed for a 9 or 10 ft hammock with an 11 ft hammock.

Good luck! EDIT: if you only had a little chilly butt on your first night with a supposedly 20F UQ, at 32F, and you were fine on top, you did pretty good. Probably as good as most on first try, even using highly respected brands.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-29-2020 at 22:23.

Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!
    [QUOTE=soul embrace;2041674]which underquilt did you get the stormloft or the lofttech hybrid?

The underquilt is the stormloft and topquilt is loftek. The underquilt compresses down really well, topquilt seems just as bulky as my Kelty sleeping bag but I'll take pictures compressed later to compare. Thanks for your advice!

Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!
    BillyBob58, I really appreciate your words of encouragement and planning to reply to you in depth later once I get a chance to weigh the quilts. Just wanted to drop some pics of the underquilt attached to show the issue I was having with it being tight. Second picture is with my sister laying inside which looks more correct, but laying diagonally still results in shock cord pushing against my calves/feet, so I may take your suggestion to add length.

20201225_171931.jpg20201225_171455.jpg20201225_162108.jpg

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    BillyBob58, I really appreciate your words of encouragement and planning to reply to you in depth later once I get a chance to weigh the quilts. Just wanted to drop some pics of the underquilt attached to show the issue I was having with it being tight. Second picture is with my sister laying inside which looks more correct, but laying diagonally still results in shock cord pushing against my calves/feet, so I may take your suggestion to add length.

20201225_171931.jpg20201225_171455.jpg20201225_162108.jpg
    You could always try to skew your suspension toward your foot area. I show that at 2:40 in video below.
    May help. Also make sure the UQ is at your shoulders and not way up under your head.
    Also....looks like your hammock is hanging with the footend low if I am seeing correctly. If-so, raise that footend higher than head.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I wonder if the underquilt is made for a shorter hammock?
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Sangfoid,

Just wanted to say welcome.

If your not happy.........send it back. Easy Peasy. Keep Mom out of the loop so she doesnt feel bad.

Dont give up. Once you get the reight setup......you will see what all the hub bub is about.

Happy 2021.

Bob

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    And that's an awesome backyard to hang in
    So there is that....