WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images

A Winter / Wet weather idea to make your hanging experience better!

Hey Everyone - Merry Christmas & Happy Healthy New Year. I am in western PA and I live for winter slash cold weather camping. I actually set up my hammock and tarp in one area of my property and then set up my dome tent (North Face) over near a patch of pine trees. After a few days of cold rain and snow I noticed that the floor of my tent was soaked. Even though I had what I THOUGHT was an efficient foot print. I was not happy. I ended up doing my homework and quickly surmised that TYVEK was the answer for a truly 100% waterproof ground cloth. I ordered some from a seller on Ebay and cut out a template for the base of the tent. It worked GREAT! When you love Hammocking...Tent camping or even just hanging out in a tent for a night is boring! I LOVE being in my hammock. I decided to also cut up a piece of the TYVEK in a piece approx 6' x 5' - I attached tie down strips and bungees ( usually come with order from seller ) and stake it down dead center under my hammock... maybe a tad more material near the area where you get out and touch down sometimes with your booties or slippers. It makes for a much cleaner area to stand or set your boots. The Tyvek IS a bit loud but the trade off to be able to stand in freezing weather to Pee or swap shoes is worth it. Just wanted to share in case some of you were doing some hanging during the winter months - it's Great!

WB BB XLC
    WOOKIE 0 Degree
    2QZQ UQP
    WB Thunderfly
    Outdoor Vitals Summit 0 degree Bag

WB Eldorado
    Outdoor Vitals Aerie 20 UQ
    WB Thunderfly

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I know Hunters here in Michigan that put up big sheep herders tents, and they put straw on the ground. Of course when they take up and leave the straw stays. But tyvek is a great solution.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwinters View Post
    .......But tyvek is a great solution.
    Until you step on it with wet or muddy shoes

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images
    Hey... I realize it's not the PERFECT solution and lots of us already know about it. But it DOES keep things under your setup drier and cleaner.... yes, it's noisy and it can get slick... but it's been great for me when I am hanging in cold winter conditions....

I've been thinking about picking up a waterproof pocket blanket to do the same. I am also considering one of those orange signal flags that I saw on a bushcrafting site. Use it as a mat under the hammock. Use it as a signal flag in an emergency. Use it as a marker flag to get back to the trail if you set off trail to try to find a water source or campsite. Use it as a carrier when gathering firewood, etc.

- Clyde

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I used to use a tyvek "doormat" under my hammock, but have since swapped it out for a 1/8 inch 20x40 closed cell pad from Mountain Laurel Designs. It only weighs a couple ounces and can be used for multiple things-doormat, sit pad, emergency insulation supplement, etc.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    If you wanna quiet your Tyvek, just crunch it up into a ball and flatten out a few times. Becomes almost cloth like.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    I've been thinking about picking up a waterproof pocket blanket to do the same. I am also considering one of those orange signal flags that I saw on a bushcrafting site. Use it as a mat under the hammock. Use it as a signal flag in an emergency. Use it as a marker flag to get back to the trail if you set off trail to try to find a water source or campsite. Use it as a carrier when gathering firewood, etc.

- Clyde
    I got myself an orange ridgeline gear sling for some of those reasons.
    Hanging around the deserts as much as I do makes ground mats like that, are almost useless. If I used one I'd have to stake it down half the time or the winds would have it caught up in a thorny bush come morning.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I got myself an orange ridgeline gear sling for some of those reasons.
    Hanging around the deserts as much as I do makes ground mats like that, are almost useless. If I used one I'd have to stake it down half the time or the winds would have it caught up in a thorny bush come morning.
    I expect I would need to either stake it down or put rocks on the corners. I would like a mat under my hammock as the ground is often damp where I camp. Or if it is dry there tends to be a lot of forest duff with pitch. I would rather have the pitch and dirt on the bottom of a mat than stuck on the bottom of my feet to be brought into the hammock. (I'm often too lazy to put on my shoes/sandals at night when I get up to water a tree.)

- Clyde

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    I used to use a tyvek "doormat" under my hammock, but have since swapped it out for a 1/8 inch 20x40 closed cell pad from Mountain Laurel Designs. It only weighs a couple ounces and can be used for multiple things-doormat, sit pad, emergency insulation supplement, etc.
    +1 on having a bit of insulation under your feet when the ground is cold in the shoulder seasons. Makes changing clothes at the end of the day or getting dressed in the morning much more comfortable. I have a tyvek scrap I've used for years under my hammock but now I use my sit pad.
    Harlan Hastings
    NPT Nobo 2013; AT Sobo 2020

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast