Dutchwear Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    There is very little snow here in the Ludington area, maybe 3" on the ground here in town.
    Thank you for the info. I’m really shocked by the lack of snow this year!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I don't know what's going on. The last "good winter" I remember was 2014. Sure, locals can say "the other day it was 2° for a high", but the consistency just isn't there. I used to pick a day on the calendar for January or February and be guaranteed clean winter weather. Now it's 34 for a high, 29 for a low. What is that??? It happens all the time now. Snow comes and goes.

My January 2014 trip to nordhouse was great. Couldn't even walk 2 feet to take a leak without snowshoes or I'd be almost up to my waist in snow. I miss that. I hardly go anymore since the place is grossly overused, misused, and busier than my Starbucks at 7:50am on a Monday (even in the winter now).

20-30 inches on the map, and it was definitely closer to 30. I believe this was also the year Lake Michigan was 93% covered in ice.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post

My January 2014 trip to nordhouse was great. Couldn't even walk 2 feet to take a leak without snowshoes or I'd be almost up to my waist in snow.
    Gaylord, Michigan statistically has the most snow of any city in the lower peninsula and they hardly have any either. Sucks! I was really hoping to go snowshoeing on this backpacking trip.
    I just looked at some Lake Michigan cams and the shoreline looks totally clear of any snow/ice buildup. I guess getting water should be easier than I thought 😂

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markhait View Post
    Gaylord, Michigan statistically has the most snow of any city in the lower peninsula and they hardly have any either. Sucks! I was really hoping to go snowshoeing on this backpacking trip.
    I just looked at some Lake Michigan cams and the shoreline looks totally clear of any snow/ice buildup. I guess getting water should be easier than I thought ��
    Yeah I was camping the Gaylord area a few days ago, about 5". Enough to feel like winter and pull the toboggan so that was nice. Need to get that lake effect machine going!

In my opinion, this isn't something to be shocked about. It is quite understandable why we don't have a good amount of snow this 2-3 years. It is because of global warming that we have these problems. And no one tries to make a huge difference about it. I have registered my dog recently, esaregistration.org, to finally see snow in other countries. My dog liked it, and I didn't understand why I didn't do it earlier; my pit bull terrier American, Jack, was calm in public and excited when we walked together to see new places and streets. It was a wonderful experience I will repeat.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    For further study on Earth’s climate see Milankovitch (orbital) cycles and their role in Earth’s climate.
    Milutin Milankovitch was a Serbian scientist who discovered relationship of planetary orbits around our sun, and their effects on Earth’s climate. Planetary orbits are more elliptical than circular and they change in size and shape and relationship to each other and the sun. Also degree of axis tilt relative to sun has great influence in seasonal climate as well as climate over the eons.

Our Earth’s weather changes from day to day and our climate also changes over the eons of geological time.
    I know of no time that Earth’s weather has remained absolutely static from day to day, on a worldwide basis. There is always some change day to day.

And certainly from examining geologic records in Earth’s sediments and ice cores undisturbed deep in Arctic and Antarctic ice samples, climate over vast geologic time periods has always changed. Sometimes there were Ice Ages and sometimes our Earth was more tropical than now. This warming and cooling appears to be cyclical and and coincides with orbital cycles over vast eons of time.

This is before people existed and will continue into the future.

While I kick back in my hammock, I’m keen to see our weather changing before my eyes. Oops gotta deploy my tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12