Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing

Question Any hangs closer to home for me?

Hi everyone,

I know we're still in this "situation" right now and hangs are being cancelled rather than planned with all the lockdowns but I was wondering if there are ever any hangs happening a bit closer to home for where I hail from. I see Valens a lot, which is rather on the far side of Toronto for me and I don't fancy driving even to the near side of it for a weekend but I would like to actually go out and hang somewhere that is not my back yard at some point. For the first time at least I probably don't want to go all out Shug though

So are there any people in or around the Montreal area or anything that's easily reachable for a weekend trip from here? Even Algonquin is quite the drive from here though it's beautiful out there and at least it's only about 4 hours, so I guess it's doable. I'm not a kayak/canoe person tho and that's what I've mainly seen so far in trip reports.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You may need to be the one to create the Hang.
    Do it and they may come.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Hah, thanks for the encouragement Shug! Much appreciated!

I was actually looking to just join another hang because I don't really know where to hang here. I've only taken hammocking up this year, so given the current situation, I'm not entirely sure where it's OK to hang (legally speaking) and/or best. The campgrounds we've been to so far either had no suitable trees or only one and the car but we don't have a Jeep or something with an appropriately high integrated roof rack and I don't trust the screw on one. Hence the DIY Tensa I've built - to be used next year when car camping, which is why I made sure the individual parts fit in even our small car's trunk .

I guess your daughter doesn't do hammocking and doesn't know any English speaking hammockers or hammocking places from her time up here? You never visited her with a hammock? I'm sure I'd find some sort of Quebecois hammocking forums and hangs somewhere but that's not the point.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arutha View Post
    Hi everyone,

I know we're still in this "situation" right now and hangs are being cancelled rather than planned with all the lockdowns but I was wondering if there are ever any hangs happening a bit closer to home for where I hail from. I see Valens a lot, which is rather on the far side of Toronto for me and I don't fancy driving even to the near side of it for a weekend but I would like to actually go out and hang somewhere that is not my back yard at some point. For the first time at least I probably don't want to go all out Shug though

So are there any people in or around the Montreal area or anything that's easily reachable for a weekend trip from here? Even Algonquin is quite the drive from here though it's beautiful out there and at least it's only about 4 hours, so I guess it's doable. I'm not a kayak/canoe person tho and that's what I've mainly seen so far in trip reports.
    Hiya Arutha,

If you're looking for a hang and don't mind driving to Algonquin, the EGL heads out there a couple of times each year and I'm sure we could find a canoe you could fit in as a bow paddler. Once this ugly covid thing has been settled, I hope we'll be able to see you out there. Everybody's welcome.

Chard (old Westmount'er)
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Well hello there from your old home then (well close-ish, I'm off-island )

Subscribed the EGL thread for now and let's see how things play out then. Algonquin is probably doable. It definitely is far though. Beautiful from what I remember. Been quite a while that I haven't just been driving through. Like more than 10 years now. Time flies.

Thanks Chard!

• + New Posts