WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave

Seam Sealing?

Just wondering how y'all prep your tarps for sealing the panel pulls. I watched the video on Warbonnet's page and it appears they just have it laying on a table but I've seen others say it's better to have your tarp set up to seam seal. It's about 30°F here at the moment so setting up outdoors in any way is pretty much out of the question and I'll more than likely be looking to use it before I have weather that's decent enough to consider doing it outdoors.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think the idea behind setting the tarp up - guying out the panel pull - is to put a little tension on the seam so the goo gets into all the nocks and crannies. You may have to set the tarp up upside down because I believe the seal goes on the underside. For one thing, it’s not exposed to the UV as much there. If you wanted to put some on the outside too, I suppose that’s okay.

It would be helpful to have someone help. I use a throw-away brush - the kind with a metal handle Ace sells for 99 cents. You are applying the seal to the brush, or tarp seam, and spreading it with the brush. So you want to keep the fabric a bit taut and still put a little pressure on the brush. Just easier of someone can hold the fabric steady while the seal is applied.

I put a little powder (talc/cornstarch) on it after ti dries to take away any remaining tactiness. Many people don’t. I string the tarp up in the garage - try to give it some warmth to help with curing if it’s cold out.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I think the idea behind setting the tarp up - guying out the panel pull - is to put a little tension on the seam so the goo gets into all the nocks and crannies. You may have to set the tarp up upside down because I believe the seal goes on the underside. For one thing, it’s not exposed to the UV as much there. If you wanted to put some on the outside too, I suppose that’s okay.

It would be helpful to have someone help. I use a throw-away brush - the kind with a metal handle Ace sells for 99 cents. You are applying the seal to the brush, or tarp seam, and spreading it with the brush. So you want to keep the fabric a bit taut and still put a little pressure on the brush. Just easier of someone can hold the fabric steady while the seal is applied.

I put a little powder (talc/cornstarch) on it after ti dries to take away any remaining tactiness. Many people don’t. I string the tarp up in the garage - try to give it some warmth to help with curing if it’s cold out.
    I think you're right about applying tension to the seams, I believe it also stretches the fabric taut so that when setting up in the future you're pulling the fabric and not the sealant but with just sealing stitching on the grosgrain I'm not sure that's relevant like it would be if I were doing a ridgeline or something else right on the sil fabric. I was already planning to use some powder and probably take the time to tape off around the grosgrain before I begin just to keep things neat and pretty

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I lay mine on an 8 foot table and go at it. Spread it open with dumbbells holding it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    The last one I did I just hung between two support posts in my garage, and had at it. It doesn’t look pretty, but it’s waterproof, which was the plan. At least the sealant is clear, so you have to get pretty close to it to see how much got slopped around. HG Journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I laid the seam inside-up along a long bench in my kitchen. I used full shotgun shell boxes to keep slight tension on the seam every 12-18 inches. Kept it steady and made it easy to do a neat job.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Thank you for the responses.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I lay mine on an 8 foot table and go at it. Spread it open with dumbbells holding it.
    Shug
    Even though I may resemble that remark, I know for sure I wasn't at your house when you did your seam-sealing. So who are you calling dumbbells?
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    I just did an HG Journey, pitched it inside out and drew the pullouts toward each other to apply the seam sealer while under the sort of tension it would see in use.
    Was cold outside, 3-4c and started to rain just as I got done!!, with some help we carefully hung it indoors and it soon cured.
    Did the ridgeline too, dusted with a little cornflour after.
    Look forward to using it....although now in tier 4 lockdown

I have a ramp with 2x4 handrails. I lay them upside down, stretch them about what a set up would be, then seal them. The tarp is stable, the entire length is exposed, and the process takes very little time. I’ve done a few this way with good results.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast