Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello from Seattle. Any other moto campers?

Hello from Seattle.

I recently made the jump from tent camping to hammock camping as a way to carry less gear on my motorcycle, and its changed camping for me, permanently.

Any other moto campers here? Curious to see how your like to have your gear stowed and if you have tuned your gear at all for a motorcycle specific application. I do a lot of adv stuff off pavement, and it takes me deep into the middle of nowhere, often alone.

For example a have a tarp just for my bike that i can deploy to keep the bike dry at night.

My setups:

Hammocks:
    * 10’ hammock + net + 12’ hex fly.
    * Haven Tree Tent (kinda a bridge hammock with delusions of grandeur).

Straps, etc...
    * Amsteel 7/64 soft shackles.
    * Amsteel 100” fixed ridgeline.
    * 2” poly tree huggers, 1” ladder straps.
    * Samson Lash-it guy lines + loops.
    * Samson Lash-it tarp ridgeline.
    * Ti stakes

I expect to get some flack for the haven. I get the vibe that they are looked at as a solution looking for a problem. For me, its great for multiple nights and ill often use my normal hammock for day hangs.

I have to sleep with a cpap, so the haven also makes it easier to fit that gear. I hang it from my ridgeline usually. I also have to side sleep, and i can do that in either hammock, but the have is just so roomy. I would rather day hang in a traditional hammock, but sleep in the haven. If i have the space on a trip i will bring both.

Pics:

Last edited by pnw-rider; 12-20-2020 at 21:48.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, pnw-rider.

I've recently returned to bikes after years of longing....used locally to get me to 4wd trail heads & as a base camp on more remote adv trips.

Now have a smouldering desire to do a Cape York (very top of Australia or East Arnhem land trip 2500- 3000kms one way...hammocking along the way of course. No harm in dreaming big.

Looking into fuel & water bladders for better weight distribution for exploring remote National Parks.... there's a 480km fuelless section between Mainoru Store & Nhulunbuy (East Arnhem).

Screenshot_2020-12-21_193205.jpg

Screenshot_2020-12-21_174228.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-12-21_180439.jpg
    Last edited by ofuros; 12-21-2020 at 15:18.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Ha ha. Nobody around here wants to carry a Haven on their back but it seems like the fact that it is designed to go to ground if needed might be a big plus.

I love my internal pole mods on my 12' Hex tarp. It blows up the interior space and instantly converts into a beautiful porch mode/sun shade without stretching long triplines in your camp. Stock pole sections start at 13" and a trimmed-down 10 sections a pole should do it, less if you can do 18" sections.
    Last edited by gooless; 12-21-2020 at 03:40. Reason: math and words

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Pnw-rider been using a hammock for 10 + years. I don't hike camp. Been all over USA & Some Canada on motorcycle. Always use a hammock if possible. I carry a tiny single person tent for the occasions there are no means to hang.

Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    Ha ha. Nobody around here wants to carry a Haven on their back but it seems like the fact that it is designed to go to ground if needed might be a big plus.

I love my internal pole mods on my 12' Hex tarp. It blows up the interior space and instantly converts into a beautiful porch mode/sun shade without stretching long triplines in your camp. Stock pole sections start at 13" and a trimmed-down 10 sections a pole should do it, less if you can do 18" sections.
    Id love to see a pic if you have one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubators
    Suspension
    Whoopies

I exclusively hammock camp from my bike. I’ve hung it from rocks in Moab, in a batting cage, livestock pens at fairgrounds, and even some trees. I used to carry a tent as backup, but have abandoned that and rely on the hammock. My bike gets wet, no tarp for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustykfd View Post

I exclusively hammock camp from my bike. I’ve hung it from rocks in Moab, in a batting cage, livestock pens at fairgrounds, and even some trees. I used to carry a tent as backup, but have abandoned that and rely on the hammock. My bike gets wet, no tarp for it.

Nice tenere. Best bike i ever owned.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Welcome aboard pnw-rider. Over the years, I've collected quite a lot of ultralight backpacking gear, some of which is perfect for moto camping. In the early 2000's, I started using the hammock as my preferred style of overnight accommodations. The Haven looks interesting and I bet using it while moto camping is great since weight isn't as much of a factor or concern. When you're on the bike, you don't really have to 'rough' it too much and can take along gear & other things that can make our outings a little more comfortable.

I've done quite a bit of moto camping myself... here are two of my trusty steeds that I tour & moto camp with.

Very nice bikes. I have been “bmw curious” for a long time, but never pulled the trigger. Had my eye on a few airheads back in the day.

Love the f800, that bike is kinda the perfect mid weight adv bike imvho, maybe tied with the ktm 790 adventure.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    Welcome to hanging!

• + New Posts